Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
efelvi
efelvi began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
Lightbulb Boyue Likebook Note -T103 vs Onyx Boox Note?

I don't see any reviews of Boyue Likebook Note anywhere so I can't decide whether the backlight feature is more than enough to choose it over Onyx Boox Note. I can buy the latter with a genuine case for $460 used. Stylus is an important factor to me so it's a toss up between those two products.

A question to owners of lightless e-readers: does not having a backlight hinder your daily reading in any way?
efelvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by efelvi View Post
A question to owners of lightless e-readers: does not having a backlight hinder your daily reading in any way?
I think you mean frontlight as lighted eink devices usually come with a frontlight.

As for your question, I don't find that the lack of a built-in frontlight hinders my reading experience. However, on my other lighted ereaders, the inclusion of an in-built frontlight improves the reading experience for me. And I do wish there was one on the Note although it is not strictly necessary for my purposes.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
I own and use a Likebook Note since end of July already. My and other people's impressions are spread all over the thread BOYUE Likebook Note.

In my not so humble opinion the frontlight is the most overrated feature of any ebook reader. Just like with any book i never read in any environment without sufficient ambient light. If there is not enough light it's time to go sleep. For me, the frontlight is just useless weight and avoidable cost.

If the Onyx Boox Note would also have had an SD card reader, physical buttons, and were a bit more affordable i would have preferred it over the Boyue Likebook Note. I don't care about the CPU speed at all, the Likebook has proven to be plenty fast enough for my PDF reading needs.

Boox reader's software is nothing to write home about, but it is still much better than the stuff Boyue dares to equip their hardware with. I use RelaunchX, librera, and goldendict on the Likebook, because the built in software is almost useless.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
I own and use a Likebook Note since end of July already. My and other people's impressions are spread all over the thread BOYUE Likebook Note.

In my not so humble opinion the frontlight is the most overrated feature of any ebook reader. Just like with any book i never read in any environment without sufficient ambient light. If there is not enough light it's time to go sleep. For me, the frontlight is just useless weight and avoidable cost.

If the Onyx Boox Note would also have had an SD card reader, physical buttons, and were a bit more affordable i would have preferred it over the Boyue Likebook Note. I don't care about the CPU speed at all, the Likebook has proven to be plenty fast enough for my PDF reading needs.

Boox reader's software is nothing to write home about, but it is still much better than the stuff Boyue dares to equip their hardware with. I use RelaunchX, librera, and goldendict on the Likebook, because the built in software is almost useless.
Have you resolved the dictonnary issue and how, thanks!, i confirm frontlight is useless, Note app also useless and cost money!
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
I don't care about the CPU speed at all, the Likebook has proven to be plenty fast enough for my PDF reading needs
The i.MX6SoloLite is sufficient for sequential reading: open, wait, read, next, read, next... It will leave you swamped during attempts to a more sparse approach to information gathering and browsing.
It's a constraint. In some usage scenarios you will not feel it. Especially if you are a smooth nerves person. Edgy people are advised to exercise caution.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #6
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
Originally Posted by lems1995 View Post
Have you resolved the dictonnary issue and how, thanks!
I much prefer spending my time with reading and not fiddling around with the reader device. So I just installed and use goldendict and never looked back.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote