Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2022, 12:15 AM   #1
PapaJohn
Enthusiast
PapaJohn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Help needed with author sort

Can the Aura One be forced to sort by authors first name in the book view?
I don't know if this can be done with a plugboard in calibre.
Hopefully someone can help me out. I am not smart enough to figure this out.
PapaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:34 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
For the authors, the device assumes the last word in a name is the surname and that is used for sorting. If you want to sort by first name, you would need to remove the space between the parts of the names so it looks like one word. You could do that by replacing the space with something else. Someone in the past used an underscore, but, there are probably character that can be used that will appear as a space but not get treated as one. Sorry, I can't suggest one. I'm pretty sure it has been discussed before, but, not for a while.

And if you can come up with a character that works and you like, then you could use a metadata plugboard to change it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2022, 11:18 PM   #3
PapaJohn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For the authors, the device assumes the last word in a name is the surname and that is used for sorting. If you want to sort by first name, you would need to remove the space between the parts of the names so it looks like one word. You could do that by replacing the space with something else. Someone in the past used an underscore, but, there are probably character that can be used that will appear as a space but not get treated as one. Sorry, I can't suggest one. I'm pretty sure it has been discussed before, but, not for a while.

And if you can come up with a character that works and you like, then you could use a metadata plugboard to change it.
That wouldn't work for epubs with multiple authors.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:39 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJohn View Post
That wouldn't work for epubs with multiple authors.
Why not? It is a matter of how you build the string. And it is a matter of how you want the sorting to work. In any book list, a book is in only one place. So that means that when sorting by author, uses the first author to position the book. In your case, you put the non-breaking character in each author name, separate them by commas, and it will sort on the first author. Or you put the non-breaking character between every word in all author names and between them, without commas, and it will sort by the full string.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:09 AM   #5
PapaJohn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Why not? It is a matter of how you build the string. And it is a matter of how you want the sorting to work. In any book list, a book is in only one place. So that means that when sorting by author, uses the first author to position the book. In your case, you put the non-breaking character in each author name, separate them by commas, and it will sort on the first author. Or you put the non-breaking character between every word in all author names and between them, without commas, and it will sort by the full string.
Could you show me an example? I am not savvy enough to figure this out on my own.
Advert
Old 06-26-2022, 10:04 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The plugboard to do what I am thinking of is fairly simple:

Code:
{authors:'re($, ' ', '_')'}
All that does is replace all the spaces in the authors field with an underscore. For a case with to authors, this would look like:

Code:
Jennifer_Martucci_&_Christopher_Martucci
The device will see this as one author and sort the books under "J". In the Author list, there will be only one author.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:42 PM   #7
PapaJohn
Enthusiast

Quote:

Code:
All that does is replace all the spaces in the authors field with an underscore. For a case with to authors, this would look like:

Code:
The device will see this as one author and sort the books under "J". In the Author list, there will be only one author.
OK. Thank you. I will give that a try.

Last edited by PapaJohn; 06-26-2022 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-27-2022, 12:24 AM   #8
PapaJohn
Enthusiast

Quote:

Code:

Code:
This works, I was able to update books already on the device.
Is there any other way of achieving this with a non-displaying character?
Old 06-27-2022, 05:52 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJohn View Post
This works, I was able to update books already on the device.
Is there any other way of achieving this with a non-displaying character?
Just replace the underscore with whatever character you want. It is more a matter of finding a suitable character. Though, you might have to specify the character as an HTML entity. I think someone has done that to get something unusual in the title or the author.