Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-04-2022, 09:30 PM   #1
scjcs
scjcs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10
Oasis 3 location-based sunrise/sunset auto-warmth. How?

I just received my Oasis 3 with cellular capability, and discovered it has a location-based automatic front light warmth adjustment that starts warming the color temperature at sunset wherever you are. Nifty.

But, how does this work? Does the unit have a GPS chip in it? (I cannot find a teardown of this model online.) Is it based on your IP address, a hotspot database, or the cell network? If it is not based on a hardware or cellular feature, why is this feature seemingly unique to this Oasis 3?

If I'm not mistaken, this is the only Kindle with a warm-able front light and cellular, so maybe that's the clue.
scjcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:00 PM   #2
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
My Oasis 3 WiFi model also supports this Automatic Warmth Schedule.

Actually, it requires Internet access (WiFi/4G) to determine your physical location based on your IP address, then calculates the local sunset/sunrise time.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2022, 11:52 AM   #3
scjcs
scjcs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10
Thanks!
scjcs is offline   Reply With Quote