Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-25-2022, 08:38 AM   #16
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Do you see the new Find Replace icons properly when using the KOR UI now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborsday View Post
Many Thanks!!!
One thing.... When I set up as KOR UI Language Setting, Still have same problem...

And in terms of Usability, I prefer Button Text than Button Icon because I have to guess the meaning of each button function...

But I believe there are certain reasons for change.
I wish to know why.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:00 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Correct me if I'm wrong: but if the search buttons are given translatable text descriptions in the .ui file (as is done with most of Sigil's other buttons), won't that text be shown when a theme is applied that doesn't have the search button icons included? That's what happens to the main toolbar buttons if the icon is missing from the theme. A custom theme with those icons missing might be an easy "fix" for those who believe they can't live without the text (provided there's fallback text included in the .ui).

But in general, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that people wouldn't be able to get used to the new icons eventually. It's not like there's one single other button in Sigil's Main Window that uses text. *shrug*

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-25-2022 at 09:02 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #18
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

svg using text tag works well too.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:28 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
svg using text tag works well too.
I admit that I gave it a quick try and didn't have much success. But my knowledge of svg isn't great. The text appeared, but it was miniscule and wouldn't expand the button. That approach also wouldn't accommodate both dark and light mode with the same theme would it? I'm not sure the fonts would be consistent either.

Just spitballing - as I have no problem with the icon-only approach whatsoever.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:54 PM   #20
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
no, unfortunately it won't match "foo bar" since "foo bar" is not in the file. The tag intervenes. This is the only way to prevent replace/replace all from wiping out tags inadvertently.

Its main usefulness is avoiding text like class names, alt attribute values, etc. when doing find followed by replace all

Have you tried searching for "foo <em>bar</em> with Text checked? What does that do?
Makes perfect sense, I get how that's useful. And when I run the search including those tags, it acts the same way whether Text is checked or unchecked--finds that whole string. Thanks for explaining!
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2022, 02:57 PM   #21
Tinkering
Tinkering began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
RE checksum on new sigil on Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Are you sure it's not something like this?
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/issues/588

Hi I found this re terminal when I did the checksum.

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

and further down ...

Print or check SHA checksums.
With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.

-a, --algorithm 1 (default), 224, 256, 384, 512, 512224, 512256
-b, --binary read in binary mode
-c, --check read SHA sums from the FILEs and check them
-t, --text read in text mode (default)
-p, --portable read in portable mode
produces same digest on Windows/Unix/Mac
-0, --01 read in BITS mode
ASCII '0' interpreted as 0-bit,
ASCII '1' interpreted as 1-bit,
all other characters ignored

The following two options are useful only when verifying checksums:
-s, --status don't output anything, status code shows success
-w, --warn warn about improperly formatted checksum lines

-h, --help display this help and exit
-v, --version output version information and exit

When verifying SHA-512/224 or SHA-512/256 checksums, indicate the
algorithm explicitly using the -a option, e.g.

shasum -a 512224 -c checksumfile

The sums are computed as described in FIPS-180-4. When checking, the
input should be a former output of this program. The default mode is to
print a line with checksum, a character indicating type (`*' for binary,
` ' for text, `?' for portable, `^' for BITS), and name for each FILE.

Report shasum bugs to mshelor@cpan.org

I don't know enough about terminal to deal with this. Tried to leave a note somewhere on Github but I am too green to use some of these interfaces properly.
Tinkering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:18 PM   #22
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If you're having problems installing Sigil, please read the instructions that DiapDealer mentioned.

You'll only need to run the shasum command if you want to double-check that the installer was completely downloaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkering View Post
I don't know enough about terminal to deal with this. Tried to leave a note somewhere on Github but I am too green to use some of these interfaces properly.
I haven't used Macs in a while, but, AFAIK, the Terminal app supports drag & drop. Simply open a terminal and enter:

Code:
shasum -a 256
then drag Sigil.app-1.9.10-Mac.txz from the download folder to the Terminal window.
This should add the file path to the command and you can hit Enter.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:26 PM   #23
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Why are you trying to create a checksum? Are you trying to validate your download?

If so, place the Sigil.app-1.9.10-Mac.txz file on your Desktop, then open Terminal.app and type the following:

cd
cd Desktop
shasum -a 256 ./Sigil.app-1.9.10-Mac.txz

The result should exactly match what is written in the Checksums file available on the releases page.

If it matches, your download is correct.

If after unpacking the app, it will not open, then right click on it and select open from the pop-up menu. Then immediately right click on it again, and select open again and this time Sigil will launch.

You only have to go through that once, the your Mac should remember.

This is all explained in that issue whose link was posted for you.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-29-2022 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:37 PM   #24
Nukjoc
Nukjoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hello everyone,
I understand the reasons for the changes to Search & Replace. Sigil is great software, and until now I never had an issue with it. But the new icons are just too small to use effectively on a touch screen. I use touchscreen almost exclusively for ergonomic reasons, which means using a smaller screen than I would like, and the tiny icons are really frustrating. They are slowing down my work and increasing errors. Please do something about this. If you don't want to revise the UI, would it be possible to create a plugin for a larger button pad? A toolbar add-on? Anything?
Thanks.

Last edited by Nukjoc; 05-29-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Nukjoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:20 PM   #25
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Please note: Sigil plugins can not be used to change the internal Sigil gui.

FYI, The height of the Find Replace icons is exactly the same as the old text buttons. Only the width has been reduced.

If you have trouble hitting the new icons, how on earth do you check and uncheck the option boxes since they are much smaller. The new icons are also larger than the old chevron show/hide.

You can create wider icons of your own and use them by using a Sigil custom icon theme.

You can also use your system accessibility software to zoom Sigil's ui, or use the keyboard shortcuts.

Have you tried any of those approaches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukjoc View Post
Hello everyone,
I understand the reasons for the changes to Search & Replace. Sigil is great software, and until now I never had an issue with it. But the new icons are just too small to use effectively on a touch screen. I use touchscreen almost exclusively for ergonomic reasons, which means using a smaller screen than I would like, and the tiny icons are really frustrating. They are slowing down my work and increasing errors. Please do something about this. If you don't want to revise the UI, would it be possible to create a plugin for a larger button pad? A toolbar add-on? Anything?
Thanks.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-29-2022 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:53 AM   #26
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Also:

Would doubling the width of the new icon buttons help enough? We have tentatively added that to master here so that should be in the next release.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-30-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:29 PM   #27
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I can't run Sigil 1.9.10 under Arch Linux; ¿anyone else with the same issue here? (Sigil downloaded from the official repository).
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:36 PM   #28
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Does Arch by chance have the new linux glibc that interferes with QWebEngine/chrome?

New glibc versions have added a clone3 call that disallows checking the chrome sandbox, which in turn causes qtwebengine process to crash.

Qt6 works around that call but older Qt 5.15 may not, and our official Qt 5.12.9 does not handle this case.

The workaround is to disabled qtwebengine built in sandboxing.

See:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345988

https://chromium-review.googlesource.../src/+/2936184

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...c/+bug/1939993

Last edited by KevinH; 05-30-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:51 PM   #29
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I can't run Sigil 1.9.10 under Arch Linux; ¿anyone else with the same issue here? (Sigil downloaded from the official repository).
When I last built Sigil from source on my Arch Linux machine, I didn't have any problems. So this is most likely a packaging issue.

Have you tried running Sigil by entering sigil in a terminal window?
This might display error messages that'll help KevinH and DiapDealer to narrow down the problem.

(I'm not at my Linux machine right now, but I'll try to install the Sigil package later.)
'
Based on the dependencies listed here, maybe the packager didn't know that the latest version requires Qt6 instead of Qt5?

If you don't want to wait for the official fix, you could use DiapDealers fool-proof build instructions for Arch Linux to build Sigil from source.

All you need to know is how to create a new folder and you must have mastered copy and paste.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:44 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I haven't installed Sigil from the Arch repositories in a long time, but I should be able to check it out easily enough. There is one crash reported for 1.9.10, but that shouldn't be because of anything that we've done on our end.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/?project=5&string=sigil

I doubt it's an ALL Arch issue. My guess is another KDE or other DE specific problem. Those are always fun.

P.S. The latest version of Sigil doesn't require Qt6. It CAN be built with Qt6 though. Even when we start shipping Windows and MacOS bundles with Qt6, I won't be requiring Qt6 on Linux. Packagers will be able to choose whether they want to package Sigil Qt5 or Sigil Qt5 for a while yet.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-30-2022 at 04:54 PM.