Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-28-2022, 04:58 PM   #61
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
While I appreciate a good cover, I generally give zero fox about any cover. It's what's inside (the story) that counts.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:42 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
While I appreciate a good cover, I generally give zero fox about any cover. It's what's inside (the story) that counts.
Even on an ereader, you browse through your library* or see the home screen and see the covers. So why not have nice ones?

I like covers. I like the large cover thumbnails on the Nook. Am I shallow? I don't mind.

*And if you are one of those who uses list view, you are a sad, strange person
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2022, 02:34 PM   #63
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Even on an ereader, you browse through your library* or see the home screen and see the covers. So why not have nice ones?

I like covers. I like the large cover thumbnails on the Nook. Am I shallow? I don't mind.

*And if you are one of those who uses list view, you are a sad, strange person
Covers can be useful if I'm browsing an online library or bookstore as they can provide a clue as to the content. But once they're on my ereader I don't pay much attention to them. I use list view and the icons are tiny and black-and-white so there's not much to see.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:27 PM   #64
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Thought I would post one of my wife's favourite book covers here. A cover which made the author instantly infamous:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Castles300-12.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	627.6 KB
ID:	192675
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:23 PM   #65
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thought I would post one of my wife's favourite book covers here. A cover which made the author instantly infamous:

OK, I'll bite - why instantly infamous? It looks pretty genre-generic to me
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2022, 08:38 PM   #66
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
OK, I'll bite - why instantly infamous? It looks pretty genre-generic to me
Count the arms on the woman.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:52 PM   #67
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Count the arms on the woman.

Note to self: Do not attempt to brain after two consecutive night shifts
Old 03-10-2022, 09:23 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I went and checked on the book. Alas, it has a new cover. If I were the author, I would have fought to keep that infamous cover.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:27 PM   #69
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
I went and checked on the book. Alas, it has a new cover. If I were the author, I would have fought to keep that infamous cover.
As would I - or added one more and called the character Saraswati.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:02 AM   #70
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Note to self: Do not attempt to brain after two consecutive night shifts
I didn't notice either. Just shrugged and moved on.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:44 AM   #71
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I read a lot of books with half-naked men on the cover.
Not to mention all those sword and sorcery covers by Frazetta and Vallejo.
Naked men on 70s SF covers were rampant.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ERTB1980.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	192718   Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_owr6pbJdoA1tiwhb1o1_1280.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	192719  
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:27 AM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
There's also fully naked ones like Den or John Carter. I loved those stories.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	michael-whelan-john-carter-of-mars-2-ebook.jpg
Views:	1656
Size:	512.9 KB
ID:	192720   Click image for larger version

Name:	1621083._UY2200_SS2200_.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	192721  
Old 03-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #73
kyrilson
Fanatic

Quote:
There's also fully naked ones like Den or John Carter. I loved those stories.
The John Carter books were so great! I read those paperbacks over and over. And ERB's Tarzan books too. The John Carter ones were my favorite, though. A few of them actually fell apart and I ended up scotch taping them together. I didn't have much $ when I was a little kid and not many books.

Last edited by kyrilson; 03-12-2022 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-12-2022, 03:42 PM   #74
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Vallejo seemed sort of tongue in cheek and campy to me. Frazetta struck me as more serious, if we can use that word when talking about pulp. I've even ordered some posters from his store: https://www.frazettagirls.com/collections/home-new

Last edited by hobnail; 03-12-2022 at 03:45 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #75
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hear! Hear!

But let us not forget Jeffrey Jones.

I see one cover with (apparently) a half-naked man swimming next to a half-naked woman.

Correction: Both are totally naked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	The Guardians.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	192738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zanthar.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	192739   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Incomplete Enchanter.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	759.8 KB
ID:	192740   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Guardians again.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	192741   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Goddess of Ganymede.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	671.7 KB
ID:	192742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thongor.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	192743  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-13-2022 at 12:00 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote