Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-29-2020, 07:06 AM   #16
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzj_jie View Post
Sorry, I should make it more clear at the first place.

First of all, the device needs to be jail broken.
1. ssh to the device through either wifi or usbnet. I do not see a difference here.
2. mntroot rw
3. cd /usr/bin
4. mv otaupd otaupd.bck
5. mv otav3 otav3.bck
6. ps aux | grep ota
You will see four processes here. Ignore the "/usr/java/bin/cvm" and "grep ota".
The second column is the process id, note down the ids of the other two processes, otav3 and otaupd.
7. pkill {the id in the output of the last command}
8. pkill {the other id in the output of the last command}
or instead of pkill, use reboot command to reboot the device. Then you will know if these two processes would be restarted after reboot.

The otav3 seems like "ota" "v3"; I am not sure if it has been changed to v4 recently.

Indeed you do not need to use ssh, if you have koreader, use the terminal simulator in the plugin can do pretty much the same thing.
I have just completed this in kterm on my PW4 itself, all seems to have worked fine so thank you again.
RandomGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:11 AM   #17
Hzj_jie
Hzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enough

Device: kobo aura hd
Not sure about kual, but I can try to include it in koreader.
Hzj_jie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2020, 03:25 AM   #18
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzj_jie View Post
Not sure about kual, but I can try to include it in koreader.
Just to remind that KOReader can simply run sh-scripts from its filebrowser.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:45 AM   #19
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
Step 6 can just be this so you get just the correct processes :
# pgrep -fl ota

I added a step 5.5, so that if anything tries to call these binaries, it gets a successful exit code rather than an error :
# echo "/bin/true" > /usr/bin/otav3
# echo "/bin/true" > /usr/bin/otaupd
# chmod +x /usr/bin/otav3 /usr/bin/otaupd

Finally, I commented out (prefixed with '#') these lines in /etc/crontab/root :
- The /usr/sbin/checkpmond line
- All the /usr/sbin/loginfo lines
- The OTAFILE line
- The record_dem_heartbeat_cronjob.sh line

Last edited by trcm; 09-21-2020 at 07:57 AM. Reason: fix because /bin/true is busybox
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:55 AM   #20
fedcod
fedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of lightfedcod is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Pocketbook 623
Trying this right now, Thanks !
fedcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #21
RnJ4
RnJ4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
I looked up in the binary otav3,and made a slight modification. By tweaking a battery related function (sub_1515c), it may always think the device is not ready for update.
I am very unskilled in reverse engineering. So I can't gurantee this will work.
Here is a already modded otav3 binary for PW3:http://www.mediafire.com/file/yhjwvd...1pw/otav3/file
RnJ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #22
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Slightly off-topic, but if you want to use your Kindle without registering it, but worry that ever connecting to wifi will delete your content and dictionaries and unregister you....

Code:
# mntroot rw
# touch /var/local/system/DONT_DELETE_CONTENT_ON_DEREGISTRATION
# touch /var/local/java/prefs/reginfo 2>/dev/null || chattr -i /var/local/java/prefs/reginfo
# cat <<EOF > /var/local/java/prefs/reginfo
#Mon Jan 01 00:00:00 GMT+00:00 2000
deviceName=kindle
deviceEmailAddress=kindle@pseudo.url
userName=kindle
userId=amzn1.account.XXXXXXXX1A2B3C4YYYYYYYYYYYYY
givenName=kindle
EOF
# chmod 444 /var/local/java/prefs/reginfo
# chattr +i /var/local/java/prefs/reginfo
# grep -q "firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com" /etc/hosts || echo "127.0.0.1 firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com" >> /etc/hosts
# mntroot ro
# restart framework
We just block the domain for registration, so no need to bother with IP ranges in firewalls, etc.
So, the store viewing still works, dictionary lookups, home&library settings, collections, etc.
But Wikipedia and Translation widgets are sadly still unavailable as Amazon require valid credentials to use those proxied services.

Last edited by trcm; 09-30-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #23
trcm
Connoisseur

Also, as /etc/profile sets the path with /usr/local/bin/ prefixed, we can easily override some of the '/usr/bin/lipc-get-prop' results, for example :

Code:
# grep PATH /etc/profile
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

# cat /usr/local/bin/lipc-get-prop
# lipc-get-prop override script
if [[ "$*" == "com.lab126.amazonRegistrationService isRegistered" ]]; then
	# Lets pretend we're registered
	echo 1
elif [[ "$*" == "com.lab126.legalComplianceService gdprValue" ]]; then
	# If either 0 or 1, then /etc/dem_heartbeat/record_gdpr_usage_collection_heartbeat.sh records metrics
	echo "-1"
elif [[ "$*" == "com.lab126.household activeProfileRole" ]]; then
	# If 'ADULT' then /etc/dem_heartbeat/record_dem_heartbeat.sh records metrics
	echo "NOT_ADULT"
else
	/usr/bin/lipc-get-prop $*
fi
Old 10-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #24
Hzj_jie
Hzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enough

Device: kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcm View Post
Also, as /etc/profile sets the path with /usr/local/bin/ prefixed, we can easily override some of the '/usr/bin/lipc-get-prop' results, for example :

Code:
# grep PATH /etc/profile
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

# cat /usr/local/bin/lipc-get-prop
# lipc-get-prop override script
if [[ "$*" == "com.lab126.amazonRegistrationService isRegistered" ]]; then
	# Lets pretend we're registered
	echo 1
elif [[ "$*" == "com.lab126.legalComplianceService gdprValue" ]]; then
	# If either 0 or 1, then /etc/dem_heartbeat/record_gdpr_usage_collection_heartbeat.sh records metrics
	echo "-1"
elif [[ "$*" == "com.lab126.household activeProfileRole" ]]; then
	# If 'ADULT' then /etc/dem_heartbeat/record_dem_heartbeat.sh records metrics
	echo "NOT_ADULT"
else
	/usr/bin/lipc-get-prop $*
fi
Hzj_jie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:49 AM   #25
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a KUAL extension for ota binaries rename/restore.
Reboots automatically, no need to kill the processes manually.
Attached Files
File Type: zip renameotabin.zip (1.0 KB, 4580 views)

Last edited by hius07; 01-02-2021 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:06 AM   #26
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Just a KUAL extension for ota binaries rename/restore
Just a superstar hius07, thank you.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:11 AM   #27
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur

Should this work on 5.13.4?
Old 01-07-2021, 10:13 PM   #28
25pinjo15
25pinjo15 began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
I'm looking too for the 5.13.3 (jailbroken but with airplane mode off and not registered ) so I could use wifi transfer

edit: I will try blocking only the internet access on the router for that specific device only.

Last edited by 25pinjo15; 01-07-2021 at 10:15 PM. Reason: add stuff
25pinjo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #29
hius07
Wizard

Be careful, the method might be insecure
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...48#post4105248
Old 03-22-2021, 11:09 PM   #30
cronot
cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 10th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Be careful, the method might be insecure
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...48#post4105248
My guess based on my knowledge of linux and generally on how these things tend to work, is that the script prevents from running the service (otav3, otaupd, etc.) that checks up with Azamon's servers and downloads the firmware. Installing the firmware itself looks like a function of the bootloader, so if it finds an update binary on root, it will install it regardless if it was downloaded by OTA or put there by the user.

So, as long as the user doesn't do something stupid like downloading the newest firmware and manually copy it to the internal storage, this method should be (fingers crossed) safe, at least for preventing OTA updates. But I would agree that more test is needed in order to rule out any unpleasant surprises.
cronot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
renameotabin, update blocker