Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-05-2022, 09:21 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Looking for specific translation of Doctor Zhivago

Does anyone know where I can find an epub or kindle Doctor Zhivago in the Hayward/Hanrari translation? Amazon have it, but it's noted on the product page as having formatting problems.

I don't want the 2010 Pevear/Volokhonsky translation.

Thanks for any help.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:45 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
By the way, here's a site that may interest you, (if you are not familiar with it):

http://mairangibay.blogspot.com/2020...revisited.html

I have yet to read Doctor Zhivago, although I do own (in ebook) the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation, in addition to the one translated by Hayward/Hanrari. -- I don't recall where I obtained the Hayward/Hanrari translation.

In my personal hardback collection, I own the Hayward/Hanrari translation.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:20 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
One of the things I greatly prefer about the Hayward/Hanrari translation is the way they've translated the poetry. I used to have an old 1973 Fontana paperback which I picked up from a car boot sale. Unfortunately, I gave it away when moving house, not realising that translations altered public domain status.

I have a Pavear/Volokhonsky translation as an ebook, but don't like it as much.

Fascinating info in the link. After reading a few pages of the PV translation, I'd noticed that it felt as though written by someone whose first language isn't English.

This is also an interesting comparison of the HH and PV translations:

https://fictionfanblog.wordpress.com...e-translation/
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #4
db105
Zealot
db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I haven't read this one, but in general I'm not a fan of the Pevear/Volokhonsky translations. The ones I have tried do not flow well for me.
db105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doctor zhivago, translations