Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-23-2022, 05:43 PM   #1
rhaynes
rhaynes began at the beginning.

Device: none
specific needs

Hi folks, a new reader here in the forums.

I am looking for the following:

- a bare bones epub / pdf reader (books, academic papers)
- good pdf management software, pdf files, notes, annotations
- dropbox/google drive compatiblity
- stylus

Won't be watching videos/games with this device. Suggestions?
rhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #2
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
The Remarkable would be the 'fancy but limited' option if you want extra tactile feel (but you will have to pay a subscription for the dropbox compatibility...) Pick this if you aren't looking for the best bang for your buck but want the fundamental functions of the tablet to be pleasant to use.

The Kobo Elipsa would be the straightforward option, though whether you'll find the PDF management options good is subjective. Pick this if you don't want to think too much about your purchase and want something that's easy to ship to the West.

Personally I would get one of the Onyx Boox tablets with a pen such as the new Note Air 2. The reason for that being that with Android you are guaranteed to be able to tinker your PDF and file management as much as possible. Keep in mind that some android apps don't play nice with e-ink and you may have to put some thought into the apps you need for daily academic use. You'll also be able to use the tablet in other ways in your academic life.

I would not recommend getting a model that's less than 10" or so unless you know for sure you would enjoy reading dense PDFs on it. For PDFs, especially academic ones it's good to have a minimal screen size on eink tablets, but of course this is subjective. I myself use a smaller reader for that.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote