Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #1
hackqiang
hackqiang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw2
HELP, about Kindlet-2.2.jar on 5.6.5

Hello Every body,
After I found Guide: How to write Kindlets, I plan to write a "hello world" for my PW2(5.6.5) too, But I got an error after running the program:
Quote:
Theitem you attempted to open is incompatible with this kindle. Please ...
Let's me show more details:
0. kindle PW2(hijacked) with firmware 5.6.5(KUAL running well)
1. download and install jdk_8u73_windows_i586_8.0.730.2.1455434099.exe
2. get the Kindlet-2.2.jar form my kindle
3. compile the "hello world" using
Quote:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_73\bin\javac.exe" -target 1.4 -source 1.4 -classpath D:\kindle_java\lib\Kindlet-2.2.jar;"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_25\bin";. test\main.java
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_73\bin\jar.exe" cfm test.jar "test.manifest" "test/main.class"
4. sign test.jar with developer.keystore(got from MKK, same like KUAL)
5. copy jar to azw2
6. run it on kindle

I'm confused with the kindlet verison, KUAL supports firmware 4.x and 5.x both, So I think both Kindlet-1.x and Kindlet-2.2 are used in KUAL, But after check the source code of KUAL, I found only Kindlet-1.2.jar was used.

So, I have two questions:
1. why I got the Error when using the Kindlet-2.2.jar? how to fix this?
2. why KUAL still use Kindlet-1.2.jar for 5.x, Does the Kindlet-2.2.jar support V1.2 version kindlet app too?

Thank you for read and answer my questions,
Attached Files
File Type: zip Hello World.zip (8.6 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by hackqiang; 03-13-2016 at 08:28 AM. Reason: add attachment
hackqiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
KUAL supports firmware version 2.3.5 and newer (which, as you point out, includes series 4 and series 5 firmwares).
I.E: it will run on all models **except** the K1 and very old series 2 firmware (K2, DX, DXG that have not been updated).

There are two (2) KUAL applications because Amazon changed the libraries during product evolution.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2016, 01:33 AM   #3
hackqiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
KUAL supports firmware version 2.3.5 and newer (which, as you point out, includes series 4 and series 5 firmwares).
I.E: it will run on all models **except** the K1 and very old series 2 firmware (K2, DX, DXG that have not been updated).

There are two (2) KUAL applications because Amazon changed the libraries during product evolution.
Thanks for your replay very much!
According to your works, I think the source code of KUAL which located here(https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/kindlelauncher) only support v1.2 Kindlet(because I only find the Kindlet-1.2.jar config), there should be another branch to support v2.2 Kindlet, right?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@hackqiang: IIRC, the classpath only lists KDK-1 to make Eclipse sane. Take that with a grain of salt, I don't use Eclipse.

See the build-script for the dual kdk build magic. I can't remember which exact KDK 2 lib I use, but it's likely one of the first ones to ensure proper backward compatibility.

FTR, KDK 1 stuff won't run on FW >= 5.x, and KDK 2 stuff won't run on FW < 5.x.
i.e., if it has a touchscreen, it's KDK2.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:37 PM   #5
hackqiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@hackqiang: IIRC, the classpath only lists KDK-1 to make Eclipse sane. Take that with a grain of salt, I don't use Eclipse.

See the build-script for the dual kdk build magic. I can't remember which exact KDK 2 lib I use, but it's likely one of the first ones to ensure proper backward compatibility.

FTR, KDK 1 stuff won't run on FW >= 5.x, and KDK 2 stuff won't run on FW < 5.x.
i.e., if it has a touchscreen, it's KDK2.
Oh.. Thank you, I got what you say.
KUAL will use kindlet-2.* for firmware > 5.x
Advert
Old 03-15-2016, 12:26 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Well, there's some glue trickery involved on the sourcecode front to tie things up neatly, but it's more fundamental than that: KUAL is built twice: once against KDK1, and once again KDK2. Which is why we ship the two different files.

(To be contrasted with Collections Manager, which is also built upteenth times against different FW versions, but always the same KDK, and as such only ships as a single file).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:40 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackqiang View Post
Oh.. Thank you, I got what you say.
KUAL will use kindlet-2.* for firmware > 5.x
s/> 5.x/>= 5.x/
All touchscreen devices run series 5 firmware.
All series 5 devices are touchscreen.
Series 5 firmware and Kindlet-2.* only run on touchscreen devices.

However you word it, there is a 1:1:1:1 relationship between
"touchscreen":"firmware 5.x":"Kindlet-2.x":"series 5 devices"

= * = * = * =

Future readers, note the date of this post.
It may not remain true in the future.

Firmware 6.x, 7.x, 8.x, no I didn't typo, 10.x, 11.x are all the Color android (fire) tablets.
And then the Android (fire) tablets began getting series numbers less than 5.x (plus some sort of code word).

1.x, 2.x and 3.x are all grayscale, keyboard devices.
(There has never been a KDK for 1.x or early 2.x devices - it wasn't supported.)

4.x is grayscale, virtual keyboard, without touchscreen or 3G
(We had to fudge our own nickname pattern with the KT - which is internally, really a K4-2, it was clear that could be confused with the 2232 model K42. Our crystal ball has always had a cloudy area around the "K4" devices.)

I.E: there used to be a hint of a pattern in the numbering plan.
What the future will bring after 1st. quarter 2016 for grayscale devices can only be a WAFG at this point in time.

9.x is still up for grabs -
I don't think it has made a public appearance (yet).
Maybe it is in reserve for a non-Linux kernel device (Android also is run by a "Linux kernel").

A Windows-9 Kindle?
(Microsoft seems to have skipped "9" also and you can bet they would love to get in on the "lets 'out google' the vendor locked google store" business (the Amazon vendor locked store is the only real challenge to the google vendor locked store).

Last edited by knc1; 03-15-2016 at 04:38 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote