Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #16
petrovich
Connoisseur
petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Going only by what I can see I think the Oasis design is nicer. The Oasis is thicker on the back, which lets your hand curl around the thick side. The Forma/Shape (and I think Forma is a better name) is angled on the front and it seems like it would be more awkward to hold.
Agree absolutely, I'd definitely prefer Oasis shape to this wedge, and exactly for the same reason –– a wonderful grip(meaning almost no grip at all, thanks to well–distributed weight I actually would easily go further to heavy battery part and feather-weight display part), but we'll see.
petrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #17
petrovich
Connoisseur
petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I hope it's a 6" screen (though I'm already pretty sure it isn't).
Don't tell anybody, but I have to confess, I now prefer Oasis 1 to 7-inch one too. With such feather weight and charging magnetic cover all I miss is water-resistance
Advert
Old 09-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Moderator: Sorry for the large image. Please feel free to resize.
Please be considerate of the moderators, and fix your own posts.

Edit your post. Go advanced. Delete the picture. Add the picture as an attachment.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Please be considerate of the moderators, and fix your own posts.

Edit your post. Go advanced. Delete the picture. Add the picture as an attachment.
I'm at work and posted quickly on a break. It stays as is for now
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Moderator: Sorry for the large image. Please feel free to resize.
Gee, thanks for the permission.

I'm feeling a little huffy about this. If you know an image is bigger than the guidelines permit, resize it yourself. It's not difficult. If you don't know how, ask. If you can't do it, then just link to the image or even spoiler tag it, so you don't screw up thread formatting for everyone.

Ordinarily I don't mind resizing images when a poster isn't aware of the guidelines or doesn't know the image is too large, but there's no excuse here.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm at work and posted quickly on a break. It stays as is for now
Not cute. Why do you get to violate the guidelines at will?
Old 09-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovich View Post
Don't tell anybody, but I have to confess, I now prefer Oasis 1 to 7-inch one too. With such feather weight and charging magnetic cover all I miss is water-resistance
The original Oasis is the worst design ever.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #23
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovich View Post
Well, it's just two weeks to wait. If it's waterproof and has SD slot or 32GB on board -- then it was my mistake to get KOA2
IF it has a Slot for SDCard its Not Water Proof.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Not cute. Why do you get to violate the guidelines at will?
Because of the circumstances at the time. My options were: Share/don't share. I chose to share. I'm not trying to be a jerk. No need to feel huffy.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #25
petrovich
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The original Oasis is the worst design ever.
I see a blasphemer
Old 09-28-2018, 06:50 PM   #26
petrovich
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
IF it has a Slot for SDCard its Not Water Proof.
Old Koba H2O looks at you in a kinda confused way
Old 09-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Because of the circumstances at the time. My options were: Share/don't share. I chose to share. I'm not trying to be a jerk. No need to feel huffy.
Since you're pushing this, I have to say that no one gets to consider himself above the guidelines. Period. That way anarchy lies. If you can't observe the guidelines or find a reasonable work around, then you have to risk being scooped until you can find the time/the device to post appropriately. That sounds harsh, but consider what happened: you decided the guidelines didn't apply to you when you thought you had justification to override them, and then in doing so, you screwed up the board experience for everyone who visited the thread. And you could have "shared" without posting the picture, or, frankly, taken the minimal amount of time required to be in compliance.

Suppose everyone decided they can override the guidelines at will? I'm actually a little surprised you've chosen to pursue this argument and I would like this to be the end of it.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #28
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I think this will be nicer than the Oasis for me. A gradual taper and a grippy back. Look forward to finding out more!
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:53 AM   #29
glenk
Enthusiast
glenk doesn't litterglenk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
I don't have the time to do this accurately but we should be able to determine the size of the screen from the image.

The key is the size of the mini USB plug which is fairly clearly shown in the image, that is an object with a known size within a mm or so, from that someone should be able to determine the size of the screen roughly enough to say whether it is a mini, 6", 7" or 7.8" screen.

On my monitor the mini USB port in the image is 4mm and the screen length in the image is 85mm.

On my Kobo Aura the size of the real mini USB port is roughly 7.5mm.

7.5/4 is 1.875. 1.875 * 85mm is 159.4mm.

So my guess is the length of the screen is roughly 160mm which will make is a 7.8 inch display.

Can anyone get a more accurate estimate?

EDIT: Of course all of this depends upon that actually being a mini USB port, I could be wrong.

Last edited by glenk; 09-29-2018 at 02:06 AM.
glenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:07 AM   #30
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenk View Post
I don't have the time to do this accurately but we should be able to determine the size of the screen from the image.

The key is the size of the mini USB plug which is fairly clearly shown in the image, that is an object with a known size within a mm or so, from that someone should be able to determine the size of the screen roughly enough to say whether it is a mini, 6", 7" or 7.8" screen.

On my monitor the mini USB port in the image is 4mm and the screen length in the image is 85mm.

On my Kobo Aura the size of the real mini USB port is roughly 7.5mm.

7.5/4 is 1.875. 1.875 * 85mm is 159.4mm.

So my guess is the length of the screen is roughly 160mm which will make is a 7.8 inch display.

Can anyone get a more accurate estimate?

EDIT: Of course all of this depends upon that actually being a mini USB port, I could be wrong.
I did the same thing, however, I expect it to be micro USB, not mini USB, which would mean that the metal part of the port is 8mm, and the plastic hole is a bit larger even, i went with it being 9mm Measuring the port on my Clara HD, it's exactly 8mm.

measuring the size of the micro USB port which is 8mm wide, I've calculated the screen to be 168mm by 112mm, making it around 8".

As such I think the device might have a 8" screen and go for €250 - 350

EDIT: redid calculations, now more accurate.

EDIT2: I realised that the button at the bottom looks exactly like the one in the Clara HD. If it's the same size (18mm), that would mean that the display is actually 216mm(measured) by 160mm(calculated) going by a 1.35:1 aspect ratio (similar to the Clara)

This makes for a 10.58" screen, but more likely 10.3".

In the end there's a huge difference between measuring via the micro USB port, versus the power button.

I hope the power button measurement is the correct one, as I'd love a 10" kobo.

Last edited by CH23; 09-29-2018 at 04:42 AM.
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote