Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-18-2018, 06:15 AM   #31
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
> ...that does not mean that the technology is bound to that resolution...
AGAIN, it is probably just as well that I didn't state that.
Probably because you failed to read the sentence for what it meant «that does not mean that the current possibility of implementation of the technology is bound to that resolution». You cannot state that for now they can produce 100dpi screens - not based on the fact that they did produce one. The equation is: how much does (did) it cost to produce a (single) better screen and how big is the advantage if we do, constrained by the actual resources.

Quote:
And as it this appears to be about the ONLY hard data we have on this technology's capabilities, it is not unreasonable to base analysis
Yes, generically, NO, not in the case of the resolution, in my opinion.

Quote:
And the basis for this "hope" is?
I hope that in spring with come out what was supposed to come out in January.

Quote:
Where the prototype is all we have, it cannot help but be the basis for any analysis of a technology's capabilities
No you can't, the prototype is a cheap proof of concept of the plan. ( = "cheaper", as needed.)

Quote:
In fact the only basis we have for even speculating on such improvements is the speed at which prior technologies achieved them -- hence my eInk discussion -- which you appear to have ignored
No, not really - not in simple terms -: you cannot compare simply the evolution of different technologies. Same as for electrowetting and TIR.

Quote:
I would not call the end result of 5 years and millions of dollars worth of research "cheap"
I would not call that the result!

Quote:
Prototypes are generally the most expensive single devices a company makes
Nonetheless, they remain cheap, in the context.

Quote:
Also, a prototype IS, by definition, the "state of the art". It is the very best implementation of the technology that they have been able to turn from theory into reality
That definition is formal, sterile and meaningless! Whatever one has done before enacting a plan is not representative of the goal.

Quote:
If 8 to 4096 color improvement is so easy
It's not an improvement ( = "of the technology"). Do not take the prototype as a parameter.

Quote:
, then why [...] haven't they come out with a new prototype demonstrating this improvement?
Prototypes are not a goal. They are a proof of concept, I suppose to attract investors.

Quote:
then they will be trial-manufacturing based on the original prototype
I really hope they will be trial-manufacturing following an engineering plan.

Quote:
Yes, but lacking any factual basis, such speculation is worth about as much as this speculation: next year we will see a new technology, called HrafnInk, that will have 1000dpi, 16M colours, 60fps and negative energy usage (as it will also act as a solar panel).
No, the factual basis is the engineering plan (plus the patents etc. ... Not to mention the identities composing the team.).

Last edited by mdp; 03-18-2018 at 06:22 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #32
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Probably because you failed to read the sentence for what it meant «that does not mean that the current possibility of implementation of the technology is bound to that resolution». You cannot state that for now they can produce 100dpi screens - not based on the fact that they did produce one. The equation is: how much does (did) it cost to produce a (single) better screen and how big is the advantage if we do, constrained by the actual resources.
Does that word salad come with French Dressing?

Quote:
Yes, generically, NO, not in the case of the resolution, in my opinion.
Special pleading -- fallacious.

Quote:
I hope that in spring with come out what was supposed to come out in January.
So your basis is nothing more than wishful thinking. I hope that I will be a millionaire in the spring.

What is your basis for stating that it "was supposed to come out in January"?

Quote:
No you can't, the prototype is a cheap proof of concept of the plan. ( = "cheaper", as needed.)
No, it is not.

"prototype: n.: The first full-size working version of a new vehicle, machine, etc., or a preliminary one made in small numbers so that its performance and methods of mass-production can be evaluated."

Because it is used to evaluate "its performance" and potential for "mass-production", it would be counterproductive to create a prototype that was intentionally inferior ("cheaper") to the intended product that would be based on it.

Quote:
No, not really - not in simple terms -: you cannot compare simply the evolution of different technologies. Same as for electrowetting and TIR.
Then we know nothing about how long it might take to improve the resolution.

And by this same logic, we cannot even know if the resolution can be improved at all.

Quote:
I would not call that the result!
It is the only tangible result we have.

Quote:
Nonetheless, they remain cheap, in the context.
No, per above.

Quote:
That definition is formal, sterile and meaningless! Whatever one has done before enacting a plan is not representative of the goal.
Words have meanings. If you don't like the meaning, then you're welcome to pick another one.

Quote:
It's not an improvement ( = "of the technology"). Do not take the prototype as a parameter.
If you make a reader that can play 8 colours, and then make a newer reader that can play 4096, then that is an obvious improvement.

Likewise it is also an improvement to take a technology that only theoretically can produce 4096 colours and create a device that can do in reality. Observable reality is always an improvement over mere theory.

Quote:
Prototypes are not a goal. They are a proof of concept, I suppose to attract investors.
Prototypes are an immediate goal. They are what allows you to tell if your theory is possible in reality, and is something that is practical to manufacture. That is their main purpose.

Quote:
I really hope they will be trial-manufacturing following an engineering plan.
A plan that will be based upon their prototype, and what they learned from making and testing it.

Quote:
No, the factual basis is the engineering plan (plus the patents etc. ... Not to mention the identities composing the team.).
Yes, but as you have not seen the engineering plan, you have no idea as to what is in it. Not having seen this plan, you have absolutely no factual basis for your speculation!

Last edited by Hrafn; 03-18-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
E-ink has a bright future.

I just attended a dinner party where we got talking about books. Most of the guests were avid readers, two of which were part of reading groups. But none had heard of e-ink without a back-light. Everyone read dead tree books.

So, I told them where to get e-books and that there were actually were Android e-readers on the market. Everyone was interested and two of the women brought out their notebooks to jot it down, as they had to get it.

In America a Kindle is okay to use for reading. Sure, the backlight makes it not as good for the eyes as an Onyx, but you can buy most book titles as ebooks. But in Europe you have to get your books from various sources, and then you'll need an Android e-reader (you'll get your books from Amazon, local online e-book stores, the regional library also has e-books and the national library has many more). But alas, there are no major local stores that carry Android e-readers. So, when an Android e-reader comes for sale at local stores, I think it would do very well.

What I decide whether I think a screen is good, my priorities are.
1) Is it good to read books on?
2) Is it good to read books on?
3) Is it good to read books on?

If such a color display you propose makes it slightly less suited for book reading, then I'd rather keep the e-ink. But, sure there are times when color would be nice.
IMHO, you don't need an Android based Reader if the purpose of the Reader is to read. You just need good software that works well for reading. I've seen plenty of Linux based Readers fit for purpose. In fact, better than many Android based Readers/tablets for reading.

Also, outside of the US, an ePub based Reader that uses RMSDK (ADE) is best because then you can borrow eBooks if your local library has Overdrive support.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before you tell Onyx to use ClearInk, it needs to be ready for use and it needs to be better than eInk regardless of color. S for now, ClearInk is not ready so stop trying to tell Onyx to use it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #35
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does that word salad come with French Dressing?
I do not understand. If you mean what you think, contexts bring their own dressing.

Quote:
Special pleading -- fallacious.
No, no, no! From the prototype, you get the notion that it's doable; from those prototypes, you cannot in any way suppose that their resolutions is what it can currently be achieved. It's not a special pleading!

Quote:
So your basis is nothing more than wishful thinking. I hope that I will be a millionaire in the spring. What is your basis for stating that it "was supposed to come out in January"?
They declared that in January 2018 kits (and other stuff) would be available. It did not happen, I think, so I say, "maybe in Spring". It is immensely more founded than you becoming a millionaire in Spring.

Quote:
No, it is not.

"prototype: n.: The first full-size working version of a new vehicle, machine, etc., or a preliminary one made in small numbers so that its performance and methods of mass-production can be evaluated."

Because it is used to evaluate "its performance" and potential for "mass-production", it would be counterproductive to create a prototype that was intentionally inferior ("cheaper") to the intended product that would be based on it.
Terms mean *nothing*. If you have to produce something to demonstrate feasibility, you produce what is cost effective, demonstrating what is needed. This is why I am stating that resolution is probably not a target of that item, hence you cannot relate "current TIR" and "hundredish dpi".

Quote:
Then we know nothing about how long it might take to improve the resolution. And by this same logic, we cannot even know if the resolution can be improved at all.
There is nothing to improve, you do not have any specification of the resolution. You may one day decide that you want to "improve the amount of colours", and pass from 4096 to n, but for now the resolution is ?. The whatever you saw in the video does not count.

Quote:
It is the only tangible result we have.
And it's nothing, to determine what resolutions can be achieved. Well, you can state that maybe we can get hundredish. You just raised that probability. Affecting nothing else.

Quote:
If you make a reader that can play 8 colours, and then make a newer reader that can play 4096, then that is an obvious improvement. // Likewise it is also an improvement to take a technology that only theoretically can produce 4096 colours and create a device that can do in reality. Observable reality is always an improvement over mere theory.
Your use of 'improvement' is futile if you focus on those dumb prototypes. Look, put it this way: they were not meant for you! They were meant for investors. Maybe you can just forget about them?

Quote:
Yes, but as you have not seen the engineering plan, you have no idea as to what is in it. Not having seen this plan, you have absolutely no factual basis for your speculation!
Which speculation?!?!?!?? I have not made a single statement, but that I am slightly concerned about the rainbows on the whites, and even that does not count in context!
Advert
Old 03-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #36
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO, you don't need an Android based Reader if the purpose of the Reader is to read. You just need good software that works well for reading. I've seen plenty of Linux based Readers fit for purpose. In fact, better than many Android based Readers/tablets for reading.

Also, outside of the US, an ePub based Reader that uses RMSDK (ADE) is best because then you can borrow eBooks if your local library has Overdrive support.
I prefer a pure Linux solution, but nothing with a big size like the Max2. The M92 was a pure Linux, but the software was never given, too many parts was keep by Onyx.

What reader on Linux do you know ?
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #37
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
I prefer a pure Linux solution
If you prefer it for sheer reading as per JSWolf's, options are limited, but if it is to run some specific software (yes, I know, that's not "pure" Linux), it's promising. As you know Sogaiu has obtained results one way (termux), I am trying the other one (XServer XSDL) in real time - I have a worrisomly stuck "gconf" setup at the moment, but for the rest...

Last edited by mdp; 03-18-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #38
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
I prefer a pure Linux solution, but nothing with a big size like the Max2. The M92 was a pure Linux, but the software was never given, too many parts was keep by Onyx.

What reader on Linux do you know ?
Kobo, Kindle... and yes, the OS is Linux.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #39
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before you tell Onyx to use ClearInk, it needs to be ready for use and it needs to be better than eInk regardless of color. S for now, ClearInk is not ready so stop trying to tell Onyx to use it.
Supposing the technology actually files and a set of products will happen, the CEO stated that they aims to niches and does not want to enter in other consolidated realms. Which means that any application to readers may be delayed. With an unclear statement: they declare an interest towards educational material (the Chinese awakening towards the health impact of current technologies on the young), and I cannot understand what it can mean if not multi-purpose reader-tablet hybrids as I see e.g. the Onyx products.

By the way: I think I saw around reflective watches already, in the past few weeks (also E-Ink, but I mean LCD-like)?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #40
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Actually a ppi of 106 is likely near the best it can do. Remember it uses filters to make color so a ppi is going to be near half of a dpi. This is similar to the E Ink Triton as described in our wiki.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #41
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually a ppi of 106 is likely near the best it can do. Remember it uses filters to make color so a ppi is going to be near half of a dpi. This is similar to the E Ink Triton as described in our wiki.
To the best of my understanding, the filters used by ClearInk are the same used for LCD manufacturing - hence, they go from 96dpi to "a lot". The filters per-se are not an obstacle.
But the observation is right: there must be subpixels - each logical composed by more physical, smaller than the logical. On the other hand, all colour displays I can think of have subpixels, with the exception of common e-ink and, I understand, AcEP. Surely, it would have more resolution as monochrome, but neighbouring technologies do not seem to have particular problems achieving high resolutions... Although, as DuckieTigger noticed, there are "optical micro lenses" involved.

On this regard, I am not sure how to get the white out of it: you get white on light-emitting displays by fusing red green and blue, and in TIR you have no light emission but an effort to have maximum reflection... Is that reflected light enough to get a good white? The less convincing effect of the videos to me was in the white rendering.

Also, I remember some statement like "we get double luminosity of epaper, but after the color filtering we get even" (very broadly, I have not re-checked the source).

Last edited by mdp; 03-18-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #42
mdp
Wizard

Speaking of the rainbows, and the whites...
If that (attached) is the real effect, and the background was supposed to be white, it could be a problem.

EDIT: in other images it is much less evident. Maybe it depends on the orientation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clearink.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	162901  

Last edited by mdp; 03-18-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #43
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
But the observation is right: there must be subpixels
...In fact, Dale's observation about subpixels is interesting for what regards the resolution:
a colour pixel would have resolution k, but a black dot resolution 2k - every subpixel can become black. That black is useful for text, so, controlling the subpixels, in some way the resolution of text could remain double the resolution of the colour display - a 100dpi (for example) colour screen would have 200dpi text. The same would be valid for Triton.
It remains to be seen, in this regard, how nice that black defining fonts remains with neighbouring coloured dots (if, as I understand, a subpixel which is not black takes the tint of the filter).
Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think I ought to mention two things.

1. The OP hasn't posted again in this thread.
2. I changed the title to better reflect what I thought the OP intended, as the original title was "Onyx stop e-Ink ! GO ClearInk".
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #45
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Also, I remember some statement like "we get double luminosity of epaper, but after the color filtering we get even" (very broadly, I have not re-checked the source).
One colour filtering plan is to have groups of four sub-pixels, one of which is without any filtering, and the others are Red, Green and Blue.

If the base ClearInk white has twice the reflectance of E-Ink white, then the ClearInk colour display white will have around the same reflectance as E-Ink.

Assume that the colour filters let through 1/3 of the incident light. Then the total light reflected by the three coloured sub pixels is equivalent to the reflected light from one white sub-pixel, so the four sub-pixels in a colour display reflect half as much light as four 'sub-pixels' in a B&W display.

So the white subpixel is twice as reflective as E-Ink, but the colour filter cuts reflectance in half. So the 'white' of the colour display will be about as white as an unlit E-Ink display.

It sounds promising. But so did Liquavista.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote