Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
hannahi
Addict
hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Google Nexus phone, Sony PRS-300
1st Gen Paperwhite has persistent memory error and I want to upgrade

I have the original Paperwhite from 2012. I have read dozens of books on it and though it was very slow to load the last couple of years, it worked fine. Through last month or so I've had problems with the device showing insufficient memory even when I have less than 20 books loaded on it. I talked with Kindle customer service and they had me do two resets followed by deregistering and reregistering the device. The last step fixed the device only temporarily. I don't want to keep deregistering the device. Also I would prefer a device with page turn buttons. I have thought about selling or trading in the PW because physically it is in good condition -- just some light surface scratches. Would Amazon accept it as a trade-in even though it seems to have a software problem?
hannahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Short answer, no. Although they do sometimes do trade in specials where they accept non-working older devices. The regular trade in only accepts devices in good working condition. Good physical condition is meaningless if the device doesn't work.

Also, they only accept devices that are on their trade in list. Look here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...472&sr=8-1-acs
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Call Amazon. Sometimes they gives a discount on new devices when your old one is broken.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahi View Post
I have the original Paperwhite from 2012. I have read dozens of books on it and though it was very slow to load the last couple of years, it worked fine. Through last month or so I've had problems with the device showing insufficient memory even when I have less than 20 books loaded on it. I talked with Kindle customer service and they had me do two resets followed by deregistering and reregistering the device. The last step fixed the device only temporarily. I don't want to keep deregistering the device. Also I would prefer a device with page turn buttons. I have thought about selling or trading in the PW because physically it is in good condition -- just some light surface scratches. Would Amazon accept it as a trade-in even though it seems to have a software problem?
Question if the software is wonky, how is that in physically good condition?
Just because it looks good does not mean it is good.
Would you buy a pristine looking car that had engine trouble?
Same idea.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahi View Post
The emmc (flash storage) has worn out or otherwise gone bad. It is not in good phyical condition, and the problem will keep getting worse until it quits working at all.

If you sell it, I hope you fully disclose its problems.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert