Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Oasis 2 vs Voyage dark room screen comparison

I've made 11 pictures of a Voyage and an Oasis 2 in a dark room at brightness levels 0, 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24.

The Voyage is from a few weeks after initial release and it is running firmware 5.6.1 which is neither the initial nor the current version. I am not yet aware of Voyage firmware affecting screen brightness or light distribution. It may be that newer Voyage hardware has less blue in the front light, so these images may be most useful for owners of older Voyages considering an Oasis 2.

The Oasis 2 is from release day. It was immediately put in airplane mode and has not been updated from the initial firmware version 5.9.0.6

Post #19 in this thread shows the 5 darkest settings for the Oasis 2 in inverted black and white mode next to a Voyage set at brightness 3.

Post #41 in this thread has a video of the Oasis 2 flashing in inverted black and white mode.

Code:
File name                       Exposure Time   F-Number
voyage_oasis_dark_b00.jpg       1       sec.    f/2.8
voyage_oasis_dark_b01.jpg       1       sec.    f/2.8
voyage_oasis_dark_b02.jpg       1       sec.    f/2.8
voyage_oasis_dark_b03.jpg       1       sec.    f/2.8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	voyage_oasis_dark_b00.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	160135   Click image for larger version

Name:	voyage_oasis_dark_b01.jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	160136   Click image for larger version

Name:	voyage_oasis_dark_b02.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	160137   Click image for larger version

Name:	voyage_oasis_dark_b03.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	160138  

Last edited by j.p.s; 12-07-2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Add firmware version and reader age information and pointer to inverted mode post.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Voyage vs Oasis 2, brightnesses 6 - 15

Code:
voyage_oasis_dark_b06.jpg       1/3     sec.    f/2.8
voyage_oasis_dark_b09.jpg       1/13    sec.    f/2.8
voyage_oasis_dark_b12.jpg       1/30    sec.    f/2.8
voyage_oasis_dark_b15.jpg       1/80    sec.    f/2.8
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	voyage_oasis_dark_b06.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	160143   Click image for larger version

Name:	voyage_oasis_dark_b09.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	160144   Click image for larger version

Name:	voyage_oasis_dark_b12.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	160145   Click image for larger version

Name:	voyage_oasis_dark_b15.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	160146  

Last edited by j.p.s; 11-20-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Code:
voyage_oasis_dark_b18.jpg       1/125   sec.    f/2.8
voyage_oasis_dark_b21.jpg       1/200   sec.    f/3.5
voyage_oasis_dark_b24.jpg       1/320   sec.    f/4.0
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	voyage_oasis_dark_b18.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	160147   Click image for larger version

Name:	voyage_oasis_dark_b21.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	160148   Click image for larger version

Name:	voyage_oasis_dark_b24.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	160149  
Old 11-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
What firmware are you running on your Voyage? It looks like an older one, based on the way the light is adjusted.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
What firmware are you running on your Voyage? It looks like an older one, based on the way the light is adjusted.
Shari

I am waiting for JB to be available to even think about changing it.

Unless the individual LEDs can be controlled by software, I don't think the light distribution depends on version.

Do you think the light distribution changed on the voyage with firmware? I guess it is a possibility.

Last edited by j.p.s; 11-21-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Actually answer the question that was asked.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

It has been in airplane mode since shortly out of the box. I am waiting for JB to be available to even think about changing it.
You're running 5.9.0.6 on your Voyage or on your Oasis? I didn't think anything higher than 5.8.11 was available for the Voyage?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
My new Voyage light adjustment screen looks nothing like yours. Mine looks like the Oasis.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
You're running 5.9.0.6 on your Voyage or on your Oasis? I didn't think anything higher than 5.8.11 was available for the Voyage?

Shari
jps clearly has the names the wrong way around. 5.9.0.6 is the firmware that the Oasis ships with.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
great pics. thanks for sharing.

it continues to astound me how much variability there is in screen uniformity, color, etc. on the different models and different units within the same model.

i took delivery on a Voyage last week expecting to have a cooler white but hopefully very uniform based on what i had read here, but when it arrived, it was pretty close to the creamy white of my Oasis and Paperwhite with the top half of the screen being a strong yellow/orange tone.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

Shari
At the end of the post, j.p.s. mentions that they don't have the Voyage with them at the moment.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #11
JFHey
Enthusiast
JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: KT, PW2, KO2
thanks j.p.s. , this is very helpful.
I'm surprised as it looks like the (second) lowest brightness of Oasis is much higher than voyage. I often read on lowest setting on my paper white, and if I can't go so far down on Oasis anymore, it would be a bummer.

Would you be able to do the same comparison between Voyage and Oasis in inverted mode, for the lowest brightness settings?
JFHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Shari
Sorry I completely misread your question and saw Oasis instead of Voyage. I've updated my initial post to clarify device age and firmware version for both.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
My new Voyage light adjustment screen looks nothing like yours. Mine looks like the Oasis.
My Voyage is old and I stopped letting it update at 5.6.1

Do you have reason to believe that the firmware version affect light distribution?

It may be the newer Voyages use screen technology the same as or similar to the new Oasis. Is your Voyage screen blueish or yellowish in a dark room?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
great pics. thanks for sharing.

it continues to astound me how much variability there is in screen uniformity, color, etc. on the different models and different units within the same model.

i took delivery on a Voyage last week expecting to have a cooler white but hopefully very uniform based on what i had read here, but when it arrived, it was pretty close to the creamy white of my Oasis and Paperwhite with the top half of the screen being a strong yellow/orange tone.
I think the jury is still out on device to device variability on current devices. Clearly it still exists, but may have been reduced. It is off topic for this thread, but maybe there should be poll threads for front light tint for each of PW, Voyage, and Oasis.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFHey View Post
thanks j.p.s. , this is very helpful.
I'm surprised as it looks like the (second) lowest brightness of Oasis is much higher than voyage. I often read on lowest setting on my paper white, and if I can't go so far down on Oasis anymore, it would be a bummer.

Would you be able to do the same comparison between Voyage and Oasis in inverted mode, for the lowest brightness settings?
For the Voyage I would have to take a screen shot, invert it and display that, set the same brightness, then take the picture. (Because of 5.6.1 firmware version.) Would that be acceptable?

Tags
koa2, oasis 2017, screen, voyage