Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Going to buy Dragonlance. Can't decide on format!

I'm sure this has happened to many here. I read the Dragonlance Chronicles in the 80s, before I even discovered (or was ready for) The Lord of the Rings.

I remember enjoying the heck out of these books. Part of the experience was paper, the feeling of the paperbacks, and the Larry Elmore artwork on the covers.

I was about to pull the trigger on them for Kindle, but hesitated. How do YOU decide?

(sigh) just realized it is not available on Kindle. I clicked the 'Tell the publisher you'd like it on Kindle' link.

On the bright side, I guess it was an easy decision.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Is this what you were looking for? it's at B&N
Dragonlance: Dragons of the Dwarven Depths (Lost Chronicles #1)
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, that is Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, but in the Dragonlance series. It seem like they're publishing the newer ones in electronic format, but not the classics.

Thanks anyway!
Old 08-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
It's things like this that mean the darknet will never die. I own them in paper, but I can't buy them for my kindle...

Yet there are perfectly formatted versions of Dragonlance Chronicles and Dragonlance Legends on the darknet.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I remember Dragons of Autumn Twilight and the other two books well. They were a fun read back in the day. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be available as eBooks. My paperback copies were lost somewhere in the mists of time and several moves.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Have you read the Legends trilogy? It was even better than Chronicles.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
^^ I didn't care for Legends as much as the original Chronicles. I read pretty much all of them, the Heroes, the Meeting sextet, and a bunch of others. I still have a lot of them in paperback, they are some of my oldest books (that were originally bought by me).

I bet they will eventually put them out in ebook format. They are doing all of the Wheel of Time books right now. I have almost bought some of them, but I stopped myself. I already own 7 in hardcover, paperback, and audio, and the rest I own in papaerback and audio. I have bought 4 copies of the first book The Eye of the world. because I read it so much it kept falling apart. I guess if I had them in digital form they wouldn't do that!
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
I didn't care much for the Dragonlance Sequels. But I loved Chronicles and Legends--especially Legends, which was darker and more complex.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
dragoblance was a good book in it's day...........too bad the publishers got a little greedy and only put out the stories for the first year as hardbacks, that kind of ticked me off........40 bucks for a book I can read in a day? But yeah the darknets got very good versions and you can download them from there in less time than it takes to dig out and enter your CC info, and you can get them in all formats
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
JeremyZ
Addict

What's darknet? Bootleg? PM me on where to go for those please.

Thanks for the tips on Legends, Heroes, etc., Care & DArenson. I'll read those too. I might check in with a friend who owned them back in the day; see if he still has them.

I just Wiki'd Margaret Weis. Interesting read. It has a good dated list of her works.

If I end up buying this in paper, I might just order some of the classic Choose Your Own Adventure books too. That'll bring me right back to Jr. High.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I read these books when they came out in the early 1980s, and thought they were wonderful. I re-read them a couple of years ago and found them to be superficial and totally unrewarding. Unfortunately we can't always recapture the experiences of our younger days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I remember Dragons of Autumn Twilight and the other two books well. They were a fun read back in the day. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be available as eBooks. My paperback copies were lost somewhere in the mists of time and several moves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I read these books when they came out in the early 1980s, and thought they were wonderful. I re-read them a couple of years ago and found them to be superficial and totally unrewarding. Unfortunately we can't always recapture the experiences of our younger days.
I got all nostalgic reading this thread. Read, re-read and loved 'Chronicles' and 'Legends' in the late 80's

But like Harry, I've had opportunity to re-visit them some years ago, and discovered that my taste in writing had developed a bit since then - the writing is simply not good enough. Too bad, because the stories and characters were good (and I remember I had a crush on Raistlin *sigh* )
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I got all nostalgic reading this thread. Read, re-read and loved 'Chronicles' and 'Legends' in the late 80's

But like Harry, I've had opportunity to re-visit them some years ago, and discovered that my taste in writing had developed a bit since then - the writing is simply not good enough.
It's definitely true. Some things are better left to the happy teenage or childhood memories

I had fallen in love with W/H and remember discovering her webpage back in the magforce 7 days of the early 90's, when the interwebs wasn't as mainstream as it is today. Just for the hell of it, I sent an email to Weis and I got a reply. That was probably one of the highlights of my younger days

There even used to be newsgroups discussing Dragonlance, I remember W/H actually being a part of the discussions at a couple points.

Far as seeing them in (legal) ebook form anytime soon, probably not going to happen until a giant asteroid smashes us all to pieces. Last I heard, W/H did not meet Hasbro's expectations and were therefore pretty much forbidden from writing in the universe they created. Wizards/Hasbro is a company that doesn't seem to "get it," I mean, have any of you even seen the bastardized versions of Magic:Online they created?

But, a general search through Amazon appears that they are STARTING to release some of their IP's in ebook form. Or at least the ones that still make MegaCorp enough money to be happy....see Drizzt. Your best bet may be to try the devil directly and email someone from MegaCorp, maybe we'll have better luck going to the source/publisher than through the distributor.

I do however have a couple of dogeared DL paperbacks that have been well loved through the years, if you're interested. . .

I also have reisssued hardcovers with new paintings that an ex girlfriend bought me directly thru MW, which had been autographed and personalized...those you'll have to pry from my cold dead hands though
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
These things are pretty common in most used bookstores, if you have one nearby.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
JeremyZ
Addict

Yes, I need to find them used. Don't want to pay for paper if I'm not sure I'm going to love it. (you guys have planted the seed of doubt in my mind) I figured it might be a guilty pleasure, like some women who read romance novels even though they know it is crap.

jaxx - If you're willing to sell me your DL Chronicles and maybe Legends then I'm game. Maybe I will send you a couple of DTBs in exchange, no guarantees you'll like them, but what's the worst that can happen. PM me.

We have a book exchange at work, but it is mostly the orphan books. No chance of finding Dragonlance there.