Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Very impressed with author Joe Haldeman

I had purchased Joe Haldeman's ebook from Fictionwise awhile back and it is one of the dozen or so I have that was caught in Fictionwise's post-agency black hole where you can't download them again. I have most of these problem books in HTML and while I would like to redownload them once more now that I know a better way to liberate them, I at least have HTML versions. Somehow, Joe's book did not get backed up properly though and I lost even that much.

I wanted to check something in the book and look at it again but could not find it on my backup drive. I was disappointed to contemplate paying twice by having to buy it again elsewhere, but Fictionwise would not let me download it again. So I decided to email the author directly and see if he had an e-copy he could send me.

I took a screenshot of my computer while I was logged into Fictionwise with his book showing in my library with a download link. I then emailed this proof of purchase to him (his email address was on his website which I found after 2 seconds with Google) along with an explanation.

The next day, I got a reply but the email was blank so I wrote again and suggested one of us might be having computer difficulties but I would still really love to hear from him. I got an email back later that very day from his wife! She said he WAS having computer problems but wanted me to be taken care of so she was sending this from her own computer. She sent me an MS word document with his manuscript for the book, and also offered to send me an autographed paperback!

That is customer service, right there. No excuses, no 'sorry but there is nothing we can do about this as it's the publisher/agent/whomever's fault.' No canned form letter. Just a real author out there trying to help his customer. I will remember this.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
awesome! (and he is a great author!)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you were to recommend one book to start with from this author what would it be?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
That is real class.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
the Forever war.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Very nice! Wow.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Well played, sir.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Great stuff!

I have had similar experiences with Michael McCollum, John Hemry (Jack Campbell) and Steven Lake. The outcomes of which were all good.

John Hemry was genuinely concerned about geographic restrictions and was going to have a chat with his agent.

Proves that the publishers or ebook stores are causing the issue in the main and not the authors.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Proves that the publishers or ebook stores are causing the issue in the main and not the authors.
Might be true to some extent, but its the authors and their agents who usually want to be able to sell rights to various regions. If they want to sell those rights a publisher in this day and age is going to expect digital rights to be part of the package.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Might be true to some extent, but its the authors and their agents who usually want to be able to sell rights to various regions. If they want to sell those rights a publisher in this day and age is going to expect digital rights to be part of the package.
Still makes the publishers the issue then doesn't it?

It still makes it ridiculous that a dead tree copy can be purchased almost in any region whilst an ebook copy cannot.

It was refreshing to know that John Hemry, who publishes through Penguin, has indicated he will discuss this with his agent. Who knows, it may amount to something.

Michael McCollum decided to go outside the agency 5 and self publish his books.

It is though, refreshing that a lot of authors are happy to help out the readers of their books if there is an issue beyond that readers control. Full marks to Joe Haldeman for his actions and care.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Still makes the publishers the issue then doesn't it?
Well, there's nothing stopping an author/agent from including worldwide rights when they first sell the book to the initial publisher. They withhold them wanting to get the most they can out of additional rights contracts. A publisher would be stupid to overlook rights for a format that could very well be huge in coming years.

Quote:
It still makes it ridiculous that a dead tree copy can be purchased almost in any region whilst an ebook copy cannot.
I agree for the most part, but it's much more complicated than just blaming the pubs and retailers.

In a way ebooks are victims of their own success. Until a couple years ago when the UK pubs and a few others started really getting into ebooks geo restrictions weren't anything like what folks have to deal with now.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
sabredog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I agree for the most part, but it's much more complicated than just blaming the pubs and retailers..
Very true, but this issue must start with the publishers actually re-thinking their anachronistic distribution model. The onus is really on them to make the change.

They (publishers) are sure to know where the pressure is coming from. Amazon's ebook sales successes would be the biggest thorn in their side.

I would expect as time goes on more pressure from authors AND agents along with ebook sellers/buyers will force the publishers to change.

One can only hope.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #13
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Joe Haldeman is one of the nicest guys in all of science fiction, as well as a great writer. And his wife Gay is a gem. I'm not a bit surprised that they took care of you that way.

I'd start with The Forever War and go from there.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:30 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What a nice thing to do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
damn cool of them
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote