Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Calibre Date Format Hinders My Publishing

ERROR ... .epub/content.opf(12): date value '2010-06-09 00:00:00-04:00' is not valid, YYYY[-MM[-DD]] expected

I know, I know, the Calibre date is more precise. However, this is stopping me from publishing ePubs to the Apple iBookstore. I opened my ePub files in Sigil and tried to find and alter a line, but to no avail. I'm not a programmer, I'm a writer and publisher.

What can I do to get the correct line of code, that is, the DATE, into epubcheck 1.0.5 desired state?
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can change the .epub extension to .zip and open the zip file to find the content.opf file. You can edit the date line of the content.opf in notepad or another text editor.

If you're using Windows you don't need to unzip. Just open the zip, drag out the content.opf, edit it, drag it back to the zip and when asked if you want to replace say yes. Then change the extension back to .epub
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe View Post
ERROR ... .epub/content.opf(12): date value '2010-06-09 00:00:00-04:00' is not valid, YYYY[-MM[-DD]] expected

I know, I know, the Calibre date is more precise. However, this is stopping me from publishing ePubs to the Apple iBookstore. I opened my ePub files in Sigil and tried to find and alter a line, but to no avail. I'm not a programmer, I'm a writer and publisher.

What can I do to get the correct line of code, that is, the DATE, into epubcheck 1.0.5 desired state?
And after you manually change it, ask the epubcheck authors why they are invalidating a valid date that complies with EPUB standards. The problem is in epubcheck, not Calibre. It's not that Calibre's date is more precise, it's that Calibre's date format complies with EPUB standards.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You can edit the date line of the content.opf in notepad or another text editor.
No I can't. I know about opening the ZIP file and then opening the .opf file. However, I cannot find the correct line that contains the date. Is line 12? I looked and looked, nothing appears in a date and time format that I can recognize.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Fabe
Dylanologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
And after you manually change it, ask the epubcheck authors why they are invalidating a valid date that complies with EPUB standards. The problem is in epubcheck, not Calibre. It's not that Calibre's date is more precise, it's that Calibre's date format complies with EPUB standards.
I believe you. However, this "ERROR" real or not is stopping me from publishing in the Apple iBookstore.
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No I can't. I know about opening the ZIP file and then opening the .opf file. However, I cannot find the correct line that contains the date. Is line 12? I looked and looked, nothing appears in a date and time format that I can recognize.

Thanks for your help.
The content.opf file I just checked has it on line 10, but I'm not sure if it's always on the same line or not. Here's the full line from the one I checked...
Quote:
<dc:date>2004-05-10 00:00:00-05:00</dc:date>

EDIT: I checked again and line 7 also has a date in it...
Quote:
<meta name="calibre:timestamp" content="2010-05-10T18:41:22.708000+00:00"/>

EDIT AGAIN: I ran the epub I'm looking at through epubcheck and it appears it's the dc:date line that causes the error.

Having to get through epubcheck error free must be a real pain for the big publishers. Almost every commercial epub I've purchased from a big publisher fails it.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-09-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
I believe you. However, this "ERROR" real or not is stopping me from publishing in the Apple iBookstore.
Yes, that's why I suggested you ask the Apple Bookstore why they are doing this. If it's a problem with their EPUB checking software, maybe they can get it fixed. If it's a special non-EPUB requirement they have, then maybe they can provide software to make the changes needed for valid EPUBs to be converted to their requirements.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
EDIT: I checked again and line 7 also has a date in it...
Code:
<meta name="calibre:timestamp" content="2010-05-10T18:41:22.708000+00:00"/>
That line is optional Calibre metadata. EPUB checks should ignore it, other than to check that the optional format is in compliance. Be aware that opening an EPUB in Calibre's reader inserts Calibre bookmark info into the file. That's also a valid EPUB option, but some EPUB checking software has complained about it, and you probably don't want your personal bookmarks in a book you sell.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
Fabe
Dylanologist

Quote:
<dc:date>2004-05-10 00:00:00-05:00</dc:date>
My opf file does not have a <dc:date>...</dc:date> line! Now I'm baffled.
I'm looking in the content.opf file, of the un-zipped ebup file. ???
Old 06-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Very strange since epubcheck is complaining about it it should be there. Can you attach your content.opf from the unzipped ePub to a post here so we can take a peek at it?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Fabe
Dylanologist

Quote:
Very strange since epubcheck is complaining about it it should be there. Can you attach your content.opf from the unzipped ePub to a post here so we can take a peek at it?
That may not be necessary. I went to a different epub file, unzipped it, and found the <dc:date> line. I am now in the process of modifying it and repackaging. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for sticking with me on this.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
That may not be necessary. I went to a different epub file, unzipped it, and found the <dc:date> line. I am now in the process of modifying it and repackaging. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for sticking with me on this.
Hope it works for you.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
dnestel
dnestel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Having Same Problem with Date

I'm working on the same issue, where the output content.opf file doesn't contain a date or timestamp tag. I've created a date based on Starsons response, then after submitting it to ePubCheck had to delete the all but the year-month-day.

However, now I'm getting an unfinished element warning at the same location.

I've looked at other epub files, but they weren't created by Calibre.

Could someone look at the metadata below and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
Dan

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookID" version="2.0">

<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">

<dc:title>The Book Title</dc:title>

<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Name, Author">Author Name</dc:creator>

<dc:date>2010-06-11</dc:date>
<dc:contributor opf:role="bkp">calibre (0.7.1) [http://calibre-ebook.com]</dc:contributor>

<dcublisher>Bookwise</dcublisher>

<dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="UUID">862d479e-08f2-4fe5-aec5-7f2ac92cd3fa</dc:identifier>

<meta name="cover" content="cover1.jpeg"/>

<meta name="Sigil version" content="0.2.0"/>

</metadata>
dnestel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
dnestel
dnestel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Oh jeez,
found my error... was looking at the wrong content.opf file.

Though I did have to manually insert the date tag to comply
(using version 0.7.1)
dnestel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnestel View Post
Could someone look at the metadata below and tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Why not just get a valid file, and replace each bit of valid metadata with your metadata until it chokes or passes the whole thing?