Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
DrakeShockFire
DrakeShockFire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Text to Speech - Word Missup.

Hello,

:-) Anyway I was listening to my kindle 2i. With the Text to Speech feature and when it say's miss it keep's interpreting that as meaning to say Mississippi which is very weird.

For instance this is my latest sentence I had.

Moments later the signal came. It was hard to miss. The explosion rocked the entire shuttle twenty degrees off center.

Does anybody have any idea of a fix? That I can try to fix this. Or is it just getting the suggesting from The New Oxford American Dictionary I have installed by default ?
DrakeShockFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Text to speech does not use a dictionary - they have rules on how to parse words, and how the pieces sound.

From your example it does look like they have a table of abbreviations - try leaving off the period after miss.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
DrakeShockFire
DrakeShockFire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Ok thanks. :-]
DrakeShockFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have the same issue. I'm reading a book with a character named "Val" which is pronounced correctly most of the time. If a sentence end with "Val" and a period (Val.), the name gets pronounced as "value". I don't use TTS much so this stuff just makes me laugh. If I depended on it or used it more often, I could see how it would become annoying.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Ms. (miss) is pronounced Mississippi
Idea is usually (but not always) pronounced I-D-A
I just read The Lost Symbol (BTW it sucks) and the Illuminati was pronounced ilumina-tee instead of illumiNAH-tee throughout.

Maybe someday they'll open up the pronunciation file or somehow make it customizable.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
IN all honesty, Miss it and Mississippi is not that far. Most text to speech softwares have some faults.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I read somewhere that the TTS engine licensed by Amazon began life in some GPS navigation system. So 'Dr.' gets expanded to 'Drive' rather than Doctor, 'Miss.' to Mississippi, etc.

I hope they can improve it, but doing so will probably only drive more publishers to turn it off. I'd probably be willing to pay a little extra $$ for speech enablement, where an audiobook is widely available, provided that went directly to the audiobook rights-holder.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote