Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #61
kilron
Connoisseur
kilron doesn't litterkilron doesn't litter

Device: iPod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I need to have a USB port to connect my external flash drives, and my external HDD to transfer content to/from device. I need an SD card slot for the same thing, but the SD card just stays in the device at all times (although I have several SD cards, with movies, books, pictures, music etc).
I need to be able to have my entire media collection with me at all times so I can read, watch movies, listen to music without any dependence on any kind of network connection. I am often away from my computer and must be able to get content on/off the tablet with no computer or network connection.
the movies, books, photos, music, etc. sound like something you'd pre-load onto the iPad already anyway. even the largest iPad (64 gb) would only hold about a third of my media library, but i can't imagine a time when i would ever need it to hold even a third.

as for loading things without any network connection... that sounds like a very specialized purpose. i'm guessing apple wasn't considering that, since its meant to be connected to the internet almost anywhere, there are so many different ways to connect and transfer files.
kilron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #62
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilron View Post
i keep trying to think of what the USB port would be for... what would you use it for exactly? a camera? a card reader? doesn't that make the SD card reader redundant? what else... (i'm literally thinking as i type...)

surely you wouldn't need a USB port to connect to a printer as that can be done wirelessly i would hope. which brings me to a side point in that i do hope they include some printer support. AFAIK, apple has neither confirmed nor denied printer support... so i'm guessing it may be an OS 4.0 feature coming in a few months time.

i'm wondering if maybe they're trying to think ahead a little. lets face it, apple was the first company to ship a computer without a floppy disc drive and with a CD-ROM drive standard and many pundits called them crazy for that. i always find the act of transferring photos from my cameras to computer a bit tedious and wish that all cameras had wireless standard. of course you can with an eye-fi card. what if they add support for that via an app or something? they of course have the SD card add-on. annoying, yes, but if cameras are going wireless, it makes sense to a certain extent.

... still trying to think of what else someone would need a usb port for. the only things i hook up via USB nowadays are cameras and hard drives. not sure why you'd want to hook up an external hard drive. i mean you're not using an iPad for serious heavy duty computing and most people i know don't have much of use for external drives other than for backup. ... just thinking out loud...
Flash drive and mp3-player sneakernet is extraordinarily common where I work. I also use them heavily for printing purposes in several offices, as well as at convenience stores. WiFi isn't a substitute, nor is connecting the device to another computer via proprietary dongle. For me, a usb host port would be a great addition.

I could also see a lot of people seeking to use external storage. "Serious heavy duty computing" has nothing to do with it. The thing is a consumption device, and consumption requires consumables, and consumables take space. I don't have a huge media library myself, though I do know quite a few people who do, and would like to have quick access to it without having to link up to their desktop or notebook which is connected to their external storage.

usb peripherals like webcams, microphones, or keyboards would also be nice.

I think it might be slightly moot though, since IIRC there's a little adapter for the 30-pin to USB or SD or somesuch. I don't know how far peripheral support would go, but a simple flash drive or camera? I'd suspect so.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #63
kilron
Connoisseur
kilron doesn't litterkilron doesn't litter

Device: iPod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Flash drive and mp3-player sneakernet is extraordinarily common where I work. I also use them heavily for printing purposes in several offices, as well as at convenience stores. WiFi isn't a substitute, nor is connecting the device to another computer via proprietary dongle. For me, a usb host port would be a great addition.
again, sounds like a very specialized sort of thing. everyone i know has ipods that carry their music or its on their computer at home. i'm always trying to reference things from a mass consumer point of view.

Quote:
I could also see a lot of people seeking to use external storage. "Serious heavy duty computing" has nothing to do with it. The thing is a consumption device, and consumption requires consumables, and consumables take space. I don't have a huge media library myself, though I do know quite a few people who do, and would like to have quick access to it without having to link up to their desktop or notebook which is connected to their external storage.
but this is supposed to be a portable device. who wants to carry around external storage with them? the point is to either be able to stream content or pre-load it on from your main machine. doesn't that render external storage moot? i know lots of folks that use external storage, but for "typical consumer" use, its usually only done for backup, or unless their onbyoard hard drive is old and too small (like under 150 gigs for example).

Quote:
usb peripherals like webcams, microphones, or keyboards would also be nice.
its got a built in mic, but you can also use bluetooth for that too. i'm sure they'll have something you can hookup through the doc connector as well. as for a keyboard, you've already got bluetooth keyboard support, so i'm not sure why usb keyboard support is all that necessary.

Quote:
I think it might be slightly moot though, since IIRC there's a little adapter for the 30-pin to USB or SD or somesuch. I don't know how far peripheral support would go, but a simple flash drive or camera? I'd suspect so.
i remember that apple stated with the 3.0 software update, that came out last summer, that they were opening up the dock connection port for complete peripheral access, so i'm sure we'll start to see some people utilize this. so it may only be a matter of time before we see some apple-dock to USB cables for a few bucks from various third party companies, etc..
kilron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #64
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I want to make it clear I am not 100% opposed to the device, or I really would not be in this forum.
I know why you are here. Come on admit it! You know you want it and need it, you just need someone to convince you... hehehe (only kidding)
Quote:
the movies, books, photos, music, etc. sound like something you'd pre-load onto the iPad already anyway. even the largest iPad (64 gb) would only hold about a third of my media library, but i can't imagine a time when i would ever need it to hold even a third.
That is what I think (IMHO) people with no iTunes/iPod/iPhone experience don't understand. It is not necessary to load your whole life on the iPad. Everything is in your iTunes and you just sync what you need. When I started with my first iPod, I got the biggest that was available at that time; the 80GB, then I wanted the 120GB.... I wanted to have all my music, all my photos, my videos and audiobooks with me at all times.
Several years later I got a 8GB iPod Nano as a gift, and wondered what the point of such a small device was. Now it's the only iPod I use with earphones. The other iPods are for backup and docking station or collecting dust.
I listen to audiobooks (and I have hundreds). The average size of an audiobook is about 350MB to 750MB - as large as a movie, but my Nano is more than sufficient for weeks of heavy use. It also saves me time, as I don't need to scroll through 3 hundred books and thousands of songs just to find what I want to listen to next.
I have loaded some audiobooks and song lists on my iPhone, but have yet to use it (for that purpose) because I'm always busy with other stuff on the iPhone... browsing, reading, games, free radio..
I think the iPad will have more than enough space for everything you need. Many hundreds of ebooks, songs, photos, enough video, applications, games etc. to keep you busy for months at a time. Then of course there is the full internet browsing, radio stations, Skype, email, blogs etc. etc.
How much does one really really need loaded onto the iPad? Not as much as some might think.

For all the above reasons, I personally don't see the reason for a SD card slot. What for? I don't even see why people want a USB port... Maybe I just don't get it . Those extra things would just make the iPad bigger, thicker and heavier. More than likely pricier too. I love it's super simple/clean design. Even my grandma would have been able to use it and I would definitely have bought it for her, had she still been alive.

Camera.... Yes, I was one of those that was disappointed, but now I'm pleased. Now I don't need to do my make up and hair just to chat to family members around the world. If I really want to use video, I can use my PC or even buy the external.

I think the iPad is the most wonderful device EVER, but not for everyone I admit. It is definitely made just for me. Thanks Santa .

Last edited by dragonbone; 02-08-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: GB
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #65
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
i know lots of folks that use external storage, but for "typical consumer" use, its usually only done for backup, or unless their onbyoard hard drive is old and too small (like under 150 gigs for example).
Um... the iPad has less than 150 Gb. Just sayin'. I'm only about halfway through the 32Gb on my iPod Touch, but if I could read PDF journal articles on the device, that would push my storage needs way up. A MicroSD card slot would help me feel more comfortable that if I hit the limit of the device's onboard memory, I could expand.

Regarding the USB port, I do have some devices that use USB that are a bit out of the ordinary, e.g. a heartrate and skin conductivity sensor. Granted, without software to use it, the question could be moot. But what about (perhaps) a midi instrument? Or a 3D glove? My point is that we just don't know yet what interesting peripherals might come out or how they would be used. This is the unfortunate aspect of a locked-down system.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #66
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
again, sounds like a very specialized sort of thing. everyone i know has ipods that carry their music or its on their computer at home. i'm always trying to reference things from a mass consumer point of view.
I doubt flash drives are as "specialized" as you want to think.
Quote:
but this is supposed to be a portable device. who wants to carry around external storage with them? the point is to either be able to stream content or pre-load it on from your main machine. doesn't that render external storage moot? i know lots of folks that use external storage, but for "typical consumer" use, its usually only done for backup, or unless their onbyoard hard drive is old and too small (like under 150 gigs for example).
It's not that portable. There are many, many people who would much rather carry a small external hard drive rather than a laptop or desktop. The reason it's not implemented is because it would reduce profits on Apple's end. It has nothing to do with "nobody needs that". I don't use external hard drives personally, but that's because I'm not much of a movies/music person. If I were, I'd most definitely demand the ability to load from external storage without having to go through another computer, which is exactly what some people are demanding.
Quote:
its got a built in mic, but you can also use bluetooth for that too. i'm sure they'll have something you can hookup through the doc connector as well. as for a keyboard, you've already got bluetooth keyboard support, so i'm not sure why usb keyboard support is all that necessary.
I had a feeling this would be the response. My laptop has an internal microphone, and I still use an external, better microphone. What if I want to use keyboards at other places, all of which are without bluetooth and without battery? People didn't complain about usb as much with the iPhone as it's not much of a document or media handler, and has little potential for productivity due to its small screen. It's a much bigger deal with the iPad. Luckily for Apple, there are enough apologists out there to help the public dismiss their own interests and needs with phrases like "but who needs that?" If only product marketing were so easy for other companies!
Quote:
i remember that apple stated with the 3.0 software update, that came out last summer, that they were opening up the dock connection port for complete peripheral access, so i'm sure we'll start to see some people utilize this. so it may only be a matter of time before we see some apple-dock to USB cables for a few bucks from various third party companies, etc..
The camera connection kit for the iPad will be pretty cheap (for an Apple product) and basically gives a USB Host port and an SD card slot that plug in to the dock port. That assuages my concerns on that end a bit, though some people are still going to just see it as a greedy move by Apple. Can't say I disagree with that view. If it allows me to use swappable media (flash drives and SD cards) without going through lots of hoops, I'll be fairly satisfied there. Of course, there's probably a catch to USB or SD functionality on the iPad even with the adapter...I'll just need to wait and see how it works.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 02-09-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:50 AM   #67
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
That is what I think (IMHO) people with no iTunes/iPod/iPhone experience don't understand. It is not necessary to load your whole life on the iPad. Everything is in your iTunes and you just sync what you need.
This can be true for some people, but not everyone. If everything is in my iTunes, why can't I just take my iTunes with me? An MP3 player is almost always a dependent device, but something as large and versatile as a tablet should not be wholly dependent on synchronizing with a base computer every time you want to change content.

With paper books, your whole library can be in your home. Just take the book or two you plan to read when you go out. You don't need to have choices outside, since you choose your material before you leave the library. That doesn't satisfy most ebook proponents, who often justify expensive device purchases and extreme quality tradeoffs for the simple convenience of bringing their libraries with them.

Also, many people have plenty of experience with Apple products like iTunes, and understand perfectly well the "just sync it" mentality some users have bought into, but that does not mean they agree with it.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 02-09-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #68
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Quote:
For all the above reasons, I personally don't see the reason for a SD card slot. What for? I don't even see why people want a USB port... Maybe I just don't get it .
Let's assume that I have an iPad and I am leaving for vacation with my girlfriend; I go to Rome, and I take lots of pictures with my digital camera; in the evening, in my hotel room, we decide to look at our pictures, so I take my iPad out and....
...oh, SHAME! We're forced to look our pictures on the small camera's screen! Had I brought my laptop instead, I would have copied them into it and watched them on a larger screen!

I am assuming of course that I didn't buy the external USB/SD adapter. But my point is, since I expect people to bring the iPad with them during vacation instead of their laptop (because a tablet is a lot less encumbrant), similar situations will happen a lot, and make USB and SD ports a necessity. That's why I don't understand why they are optional instead of integrated.

Another scenario: when I go on vacation, I bring my laptop with me because I actually use it as a media device (I also do work on it, and get beaten by my gf for it, but that's not the point ), for example I can loan a DVD and watch a movie on it in case the hotel/b&b/place where I stay doesn't have a TV set and DVD player.
If I buy a tablet, I expect it to be PORTABLE, so I expect it to satisfy my needs OUTSIDE my house (otherwise I'd buy a desktop PC, which I already have). But the iPad relies heavily on other devices to work... if I want to see a movie on it, I need another PC to transfer it from the PC to the tablet; if I want to install apps I need another PC equipped with iTunes; except the few cases in which I can use the external USB / SD adapter, I always need another PC.

This makes it a lot less portable then what Apple says. Take a look at the latest Sony tablets, and they are indeed a lot more portable (and with multitouch too).

Still, I might buy one someday: if the history of the iPhone repeats itself with the iPad, I can predict that once the iPad 4G will be out it will be exactly as portable as I want it, and with a more reasonable price. That day I'll buy it!
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #69
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
The iPad is not a PC tablet, and yes there are some beautiful Tablet PC's coming out. I fully understand that if someone needs a tablet, then the iPad may not be for them.

I want the iPad for ebook reading, web surfing, games, email on the go etc. When I got my ereader a year ago, a device like the iPad was but a dream.... Think of it as a futuristic ebook reader on mega steroids!

I also love the calendar/diary, notes and photo Apps on the iPad. I already have a 17" laptop, an Acer One and a PC, so I don't need or want a tablet. Each to his own.

Peace .

Last edited by dragonbone; 02-09-2010 at 07:28 AM.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #70
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Quote:
The iPad is not a PC tablet, and yes there are some beautiful Tablet PC's coming out. I fully understand that if someone needs a tablet, then the iPad may not be for them.
That's funny because that's what Apple is calling it: a tablet.

But even if you don't call it a tablet... it's still sold as a portable multimedia device.

Let me stress these three words: Portable, multimedia, and device.
It surely is a device and its multimediality is undisputed. It's the portability that's still lacking something.
If the best environment to use your iPad is at home, I'd say that it's poorly designed, because it would just be a simple replica of what your home PC / Mac already does. Do you usually pay twice to do the same thing?

Jobs stressed a lot the word portable (that's why the battery duration is shown as one of its key features), but as I pointed out above it's not as portable as they say.
It's worth repeating though: the first iPhone was just a cute toy, it lacked a lot of functionalities that other smartphones already had; only the iPhone 3G can really be called a complete product, and it actually outsold everything else. So, I expect the iPad to go through the same evolution: it's 3G, or 4G or whatever version will be perfect. Apple always does it this way, the first version of the product lacks something but they sell it to create hype.
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #71
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I don't need an SD slot (always plug my cam directly in) but a USB host port would have definitely been nice. That way we could have used standard USB accessories instead of iPad-licensed Dock Connector peripherals.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #72
Yoshi 1080
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
It's worth repeating though: the first iPhone was just a cute toy, it lacked a lot of functionalities that other smartphones already had; only the iPhone 3G can really be called a complete product,
Ridiculous.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #73
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Adding an SDHC card reader and USB port would cost them a couple of dollars (maybe less, economy of scale). There is simply no reason to leave off something as obviously useful as SD and USB. These are not convenience items to me, they are must haves. The version 1 iPad is a no-sale for me. I am really hoping the next version corrects some of the current shortcomings. I really do think they are on to something with the iPad, they got a lot right but messed up the easy stuff...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #74
Yoshi 1080
Addict

A couple of dollars ×*millions of devices sold = a loss of a couple of millions of dollars
Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #75
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
A couple of dollars ×*millions of devices sold = a loss of a couple of millions of dollars
Making the device far more appealing, millions in additional device sales.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote