Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
10 reasons why I'll be passing on the iPad

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10...g=content;col1

Summary:
Quote:
1: There’s no physical keyboard
2: This one size doesn’t fit all
3: It runs a phone OS
4: There’s not enough storage
5: There’s No HDMI output or camera
6: There are no USB ports
7: There’s no flash memory slot
8: The price is not right
9: It’s locked in
10: It’s all about the network
The author explains each point in the article. Interesting read, and not that different from what others here have said.

But, she really only needed to make her first point:

Quote:
If I want a compact touch screen device I can use to watch videos, surf the Web, read my email, etc., I can do all of that with my smart phone. If I need to do more than that, it’s probably going to involve touch typing. And for that, I can use my laptop or netbook. If I want to watch a movie or TV program on a screen that’s larger than my phone’s, I can do that on the laptop, too. Why would I need to buy and carry a third device?
As Apple clearly said, the iPad is for people who want something in between their phone and computer. If you can't say "yes" to that..you don't need any other reasons
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
1: There’s no physical keyboard (disagree, don't want a physical keyboard)
2: This one size doesn’t fit all (screen size is about right, 4:3 is odd choice)
3: It runs a phone OS (agree)
4: There’s not enough storage (agree)
5: There’s No HDMI output or camera (agree)
6: There are no USB ports (agree, this is a huge fail)
7: There’s no flash memory slot (agree, this is a giant/huge/stupendous fail)
8: The price is not right (price is not too bad in my opinion)
9: It’s locked in (agree. Hardware locking is an absolute no-sale, period)
10: It’s all about the network (mostly agree)

11. Glossy screen instead of matte.
12. Reliance on iTunes.
13. Proprietary connectors instead of mini-USB.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
1: There’s no physical keyboard (disagree, don't want a physical keyboard)
2: This one size doesn’t fit all (screen size is about right, 4:3 is odd choice)
3: It runs a phone OS (agree)
4: There’s not enough storage (agree)
5: There’s No HDMI output or camera (agree)
6: There are no USB ports (agree, this is a huge fail)
7: There’s no flash memory slot (agree, this is a giant/huge/stupendous fail)
8: The price is not right (price is not too bad in my opinion)
9: It’s locked in (agree. Hardware locking is an absolute no-sale, period)
10: It’s all about the network (mostly agree)

11. Glossy screen instead of matte.
12. Reliance on iTunes.
13. Proprietary connectors instead of mini-USB.
but...do you even need anything in-between your computer and your phone?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
but...do you even need anything in-between your computer and your phone?
I really just want a netbook with no keyboard or mouse, but with multi-touch. And if it could make phone calls too, excellent.

Last edited by CyGuy; 02-04-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Some of those 10 points are debatable, but even taking them at face value they are not a problem to me. I think when you understand the positioning of the device you see that most of those don't fit with it's intended use.

In the keynote Steve introduced the iPad as a device in between a phone and a laptop. It is not supposed to be a laptop replacement. So the vast majority of those 10 are things you would expect on a multi-media laptop, so someone who wants those features should buy a multi-media laptop.

I find much of the criticism of the iPad comes from this trying to make it something it's not syndrome. It would be much like going on a forum or writing a blog that I can't stand the Honda Civic because it can't carry a couch like my Ford F100 can. They are two different things, for two different uses.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
It would be much like going on a forum or writing a blog that I can't stand the Honda Civic because it can't carry a couch like my Ford F100 can. They are two different things, for two different uses.
ahahahah, exactly. What I find amazing is that you find examples of that over and over again, especially on messageboards. I personally am not interested in a netbook, but I don't go hanging out on Netbook specific forums constantly arguing how useless I think they are for everyone
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
As I've said many times it's just 3 reasons for me.

1. Not built around a stylus, with handwriting suppport across all programs. Maybe a capacitive stylus and third part apps will solve that, but doubtful it will be as functional and flexible if it was built around stylus use.

2. Lack of multitasking. Switching apps can be ok, but not ideal.

3. Lack of flash. Watching online video would be a big use for me, and many sites like Hulu use flash.

So apple came VERY close to getting a day one sell from me. And may still get my $$$ if third party apps solve these issues satisfactorily.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
CyGuy
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
It would be much like going on a forum or writing a blog that I can't stand the Honda Civic because it can't carry a couch like my Ford F100 can. They are two different things, for two different uses.
Really it would be like Honda selling the Civic with no radio, heater, or A/C, not even making it an option. It is a great car otherwise, I would really want one, but it is silly to leave off such obvious things like radio, heater, and A/C. I would whine too, and would not buy a Civic no matter how nice everything else about the car was.

Leaving off the SDHC card reader, USB port, and locking the hardware are crazy. I really wanted to like the iPad and have been waiting for a product like this for a long time. They got a lot right, but messed up the easy stuff...

Last edited by CyGuy; 02-04-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Really it would be like Honda selling the Civic with no radio, heater, or A/C. It is a great car otherwise, I would really want one, but it is silly to leave off such obvious things like radio, heater, and A/C. I would whine too, and would not buy a Civic no matter how nice everything else about the car was.

Leaving off the SDHC card reader, USB port, and locking the hardware are crazy. I really wanted to like the iPad and have been waiting for a product like this for a long time. They got a lot right, but messed up the easy stuff...
That's a silly comparison as those are all things you expect a car to have.

What the article listed are things you expect a PC/laptop have. And the iPad is not a Tablet PC. It's a touch tablet device meant to serve a niche between a phone and PC (or full TabletPC).

If you don't need such a device and are happy with your smartphone and laptop, then you shouldn't be shopping for this kind of tablet device, but maybe a full on Tablet PC if you want a laptop with a touch/stylus screen.

This is for people that just want a tablet for media purposes and not full computing purposes, so kind of silly to knock it for that vs. just saying "It's not the type of device for me" and moving on.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
clunney
clunney began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Does everyone here forget so quickly? Back in 1998, Apple introduced the iMac -- without a 3 1/2" Floppy Drive. The pundits and naysayers all shouted that they HAD TO HAVE THAT!

Of course, now there is hardly any use for such a thing. That's what the USB/memorycard slot discussion is. The iPad (and future Mac products, I'm sure) will be migrating to a nearly completely wireless connectivity. The iPad has 802.11 b/g/n connectivity. The 802.11n standard allows for up to 600 Mb/sec transmission, and a transmission range of nearly 250 feet indoors (over 800 feet outdoors).

With that sort of data transfer and distance, there's no need or requirement for a USB -- just connect to the wireless network and go. Of course, not many people have 802.11n systems yet. So what? And given that the iPad is not intended to replace your laptop/desktop system, it makes sense. The wireless networking capability allows the use of memory, data and functionality from the rest of the network, in a lightweight, easy-to-use, fast and efficient handheld device that is big enough for watching movies and reading books, but not as heavy and awkward as carrying around a full-sized laptop.

Don't forget that in '98, the iMac was also the first computer to use only USB ports for connectivity, less than two years after the USB standard was implemented. Now Apple is stepping outside the traditional "comfort zone" and moving beyond the traditional standard.

Don't think of the iPad in comparison to netbooks, laptops or e-ink readers, because that's the wrong idea. This is the first of the next generation of networked devices.

As for no multitasking -- who says that isn't in the future (iPhone OS 4.0?).

As for the camera -- how many generations did it take to get one put into the iPod? Who says there aren't plans to put one in the iPad v.2 that will most likely be released within a year?

Keyboard? Ever heard of Bluetooth?

Price? $500 for a tablet with wireless 802.11n, multitouch capacitive 10" screen, LCD IPS, 0.5" thick, less than 2 lbs, with a stable and well-tested OS that's fast, efficient and responsive, and over 10 hrs of battery life? Are you kidding me?
clunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
CyGuy
Avid Reader

But I want to use a tablet like this as a stand alone media device. I want to be able to have all of my movies, books, pictures, and music stored on a few 32gb SD cards and swap them around as I want. I would also like to be able to connect my external 500gb WD drive to copy/paste media as needed. Relying on an internet connection or WiFi as the primary means of getting media to and from the device is a step backwards in my opinion.

I am okay with it not having a 3 1/2 floppy
Old 02-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard

That's a fair point, and such a device wouldn't be for you.

It's more for people who are streaming most of their media content. Though on the video front that's challenged with the lack of flash.

But such devices with limited storage and options will probably become more of the norm going forward.

In a decade or two when faster broad band is everywhere we're going to see the end of actually owning media content unfortunately. Companies lose too much on piracy and sales of used CDs, DVDs/Blurays, Video games etc. It will eventually all be streaming content you pay for access to, or digital downloads tied to your account etc.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
CyGuy
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
That's a fair point, and such a device wouldn't be for you.

It's more for people who are streaming most of their media content. Though on the video front that's challenged with the lack of flash.

But such devices with limited storage and options will probably become more of the norm going forward.

In a decade or two when faster broad band is everywhere we're going to see the end of actually owning media content unfortunately. Companies lose too much on piracy and sales of used CDs, DVDs/Blurays, Video games etc. It will eventually all be streaming content you pay for access to, or digital downloads tied to your account etc.
I would hope the opposite happens. I mean flash memory is getting cheaper and smaller by the month. The new SDXC standard supports up to 2TB! You can purchase 32GB SDHC cards now for like $20. I have almost no interest in streaming content (other than the occasional youtube video etc). The idea of streaming content on a pay-as-you-go basis only is just not for me, and I will not support the push towards this myself.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
I would hope the opposite happens. I mean flash memory is getting cheaper and smaller by the month. The new SDXC standard supports up to 2TB! You can purchase 32GB SDHC cards now for like $20. I have almost no interest in streaming content (other than the occasional youtube video etc). The idea of streaming content on a pay-as-you-go basis only is just not for me, and I will not support the push towards this myself.
I'd be all for it for movies. If netflix could have their full collection on their instant watch, I'd be very happy to just rely on that. I already don't buy that many movies any more (have 300+ but had 95% of that before joining netflix a couple years ago) to save the money and space of buying movies I hardly ever get around to watching.

Music I'm not into streaming as I like having the CDs and MP3s to put where ever I want. Video games I'd be pretty opposed to as they cost more and I mainly get them from a game trading site (Goozex) and trade them in after beating them.

So I guess I'd say I'm mixed on moving to digital content--be it purchased or renting access to streaming. It's great for movies if I could just pay a monthly free and pull up anything I wanted to watch vs. having to get a disc in the mail or buy a disc. But I'm more hesitant for music and video games.

With books I'd be for it since I seldom re-read. If I could pay Amazon $10 a month for 1 book out at a time rentals on my Kindle like I do Netflix for movies I'd jump on it in a second.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/04/10-re...aw-fact-check/ sums it up pretty well in my opinion.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote