Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Should we have a DR800S/SG Forum

What is everyone's opinion on this? Should we ask for the DR800 to be separated out? It looks like it's going to be shipping pretty soon in the U.S. and I would expect activity to pick up.

I wonder how the single Sony thread is working out with the ability to choose the device? That's another possible option.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
I think the DR800x can stay in the iRex Digital Reader forum with just a minor edit to the forum description to make it less DR1000x specific.

I don't think there are enough DR1000x users or DR1000x related posts to warrant a separate sub-forum. The DR devices share much of the same software and so many topics will be relevant to both devices.

Last edited by badbob001; 01-31-2010 at 12:01 PM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
The DR devices share much of the same software and so many topics will be relevant to both devices.
Exactly. Many questions from DR800 users would probably also be of direct interest to DR1000 users. IMO, it makes sense to keep them together.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Maybe it would make sense to have a separate development thread for the 800 to keep things clean? It looks like they share the same basic platform, but I'm wondering if there are enough differences to keep it separated.

I'm happy either way, but was curious what everyone else's opinion was.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Maybe it would make sense to have a separate development thread for the 800 to keep things clean?
My understanding is that it's the same development environment for both of them. Apps should basically be interchangeable.
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 02:39 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We prefer now to separate devices within a forum by using thread prefixes, rather than separate sub-fora. I'll put in a request to Alex that it be done here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We prefer now to separate devices within a forum by using thread prefixes, rather than separate sub-fora. I'll put in a request to Alex that it be done here.
Thanks Harry, but we might want to get a broader perspective from the group here. I would personally like that since I'm only interested in the 800, others may not like it. I also think the prefix makes sense to combat forum growth as vendors bring out greater numbers of models.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I agree that combining it with the DR1000 forum and changing the description to include the DR800 would be a good solution. There seem to be far more DR800 posters in any case, and they are similar devices from the same company. No need to add to the forum tree on the front page.

If it were my call, I would probably also put the iLiad forum in with this one too. It seems strange to have a separate forum for it, especially when no one is selling it anymore.

Last edited by nikkie; 02-01-2010 at 12:19 PM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
I agree that combining it with the DR1000 forum and changing the description to include the DR800 would be a good solution. There seem to be far more DR800 posters in any case, and they are similar devices from the same company. No need to add to the forum tree on the front page.

If it were my call, I would probably also put the iLiad forum in with this one too. It seems strange to have a separate forum for it, especially when no one is selling it anymore.
Since the iLiad is an abandoned product it might make sense to just let it stay the way it is and move forward with the 800/1000 combination. The other issue is that the 800/1000 share the same basic software platform while the iLiad is a very different animal. Having that rolled together might cause confusion for new folks, especially in the area of development/hacking.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Actually, they are still selling it (last I checked), but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't for much longer. The iLiad and DR series are basically completely different architectures though. They're from the same company, but totally different from a user and developer perspective.

IMO, it would make sense to combine the DR800 and DR1000 since under the covers they are basically just two sizes of the same device. I'm not sure about the iLiad though. People interested in iLiad technical discussions probably wouldn't care too much about DR technical discussions. For example, it would get really confusing to combine the iLiad developer sub-forum with a DR developer sub-forum, etc.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Actually, they are still selling it (last I checked), but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't for much longer. The iLiad and DR series are basically completely different architectures though. They're from the same company, but totally different from a user and developer perspective.

IMO, it would make sense to combine the DR800 and DR1000 since under the covers they are basically just two sizes of the same device. I'm not sure about the iLiad though. People interested in iLiad technical discussions probably wouldn't care too much about DR technical discussions. For example, it would get really confusing to combine the iLiad developer sub-forum with a DR developer sub-forum, etc.
It is listed on their site but out of stock. They could easily use tags to filter which device it refers to. Wouldn't that solve the issue?
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote