Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2008, 04:04 AM   #46
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
1. Justify support (both in RLF and in reader as general)

2. Bigger screen (but battery life should be about the same as on PRS-505 or better yet as on PRS-500).

3. REAL Unicode support - current implementation have a very limited subset.

4. Subfolders support (meaning "browse" mode to select a file)

Last edited by Lord KiRon; 08-17-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:21 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
If they implement dictionary, I will have to ignore my former preaching about never buying DRMed LRF files and buy one...
For the pedantic among us, there's no such thing as a "DRMed LRF file". If the file has DRM it's an "LRX" file .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #48
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Personally, I would ask why the support for large libraries is so sucky. File/folder based book browsing is superior over pre-parsing all memory stores and building the database from scratch - it leads to extremely long waits on libraries of > 1000 items.

Why add Memorystick and SDHC support (good for 8 Gb mstick + max. 32 Gb SDHC of storage!) and then make it virtually unusable with large amounts of files? It can't be for MP3s, as the music player drains the battery in no time and the mp3 player function is rudimentary at best.

Other than that, I greatly enjoy my Sony, both in terms of form factor, handling, and book availability, even if you don't sell the dang thing in my country yet.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #49
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
3. REAL Unicode support - current implementation have a very limited subset.
What makes you think so? The Reader handles Unicode just fine - it's the fonts that are missing some glyphs.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 AM   #50
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
What makes you think so? The Reader handles Unicode just fine - it's the fonts that are missing some glyphs.

No Russian , no Hebrew , no Arabic , no Chines - thats the 4 I know about, may be more.
Given there are a tools/custom firmwares to replace fonts with localized versions and you can use embedded fonts but I wouldn't call it UNICODE support out of the box.

So you may call it "font missing some glyphs" but one way or another they are missing
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #51
Amature
Amature began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
My PRS-505 is frozen on the "Starting up..." page for ~month.
Please, help!!!
Amature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:43 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
No Russian , no Hebrew , no Arabic , no Chines - thats the 4 I know about, may be more.
Given there are a tools/custom firmwares to replace fonts with localized versions and you can use embedded fonts but I wouldn't call it UNICODE support out of the box.

So you may call it "font missing some glyphs" but one way or another they are missing
Go to the thread on PRSCustomizer. There is indeed a way to add localization to the 505.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27177
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #53
lisangus
lisangus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
register 2 pcs for 1 Reader?

I have two PCs, one at my weekday home and one at my weekend home (each with internet connection). I would like to have my Sony Reader registered on both PCs (ie be able to download or update my Reader files in either location.) I have read that one can have up to 6 devices registered to one account, one of which must be a PC -- but can 2 of them be PCs?
lisangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #54
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I believe that is the case. I initially registered my 505 on a laptop which subsequently had to go on life support. I had no problem re-registering my 505 on a new laptop
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote