Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Does de-DRMing delete text to speech restrictions?

Just wondering. I don't know anyone who removes DRM on the books they purchase, but if they did, and if the book had text to speech turned off, would removal of DRM enable text to speech?

I know, curiousity is dangerous.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Just wondering. I don't know anyone who removes DRM on the books they purchase, but if they did, and if the book had text to speech turned off, would removal of DRM enable text to speech?

I know, curiousity is dangerous.
Yes. (Perhaps)... I expect there is some info on the ebook itself... that once the DRM was removed could also be removed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Stripping DRM does not change the ebook's metadata, and the TTS switch is in the metadata (as is the clipping limit). It is possible to use MobiPerl's mobi2mobi to re-enable TTS (even without removing DRM), or you could run the DRM-free version through Calibre to produce a new MOBI with brand new metadata.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Thanks. I have no need for text to speech - I was just curious.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I know this is an old post but wanted to put in my experiment.

I "fixed" a few books and converted to .mobi from .azw. I know the DRM was gone because I could read them in Calibre's ereader, however the TTS would not work. I then modified the metadata and reconverting from .mobi to .mobi and TTS was enabled.

It seems that without "fiddling" with the metadata before conversion the TTS flag doesn't get removed on the conversion. I think if you simply add a star to rating area should be enough. I'd appreciate someone confirming this for me.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert