Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #16
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
- (optional) if the processor has floating point unit or not, and if it hasn't, what type of emulation is used (in-kernel fp emulation or soft-float compiled binaries)
The question of emulation, vfp versus fpa, was discussed time ago in the linuxarm-dev mailing list, but it was in the age of kernel 2.2. I expect better times are coming.

another interesting project to keep an eye on is the old one of Zaurus, around cacko.spy.org, pdaXrom.org and other sites.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #17
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
...But yep, the A51 prototype uses a GumStix too. So perhaps it is the same thing.

http://positron.org/projects/A51/sid...31-2_gates.pdf
whoa, you know what?
if that prototype was available, i would buy that instead of the iliad. ok, i would loose WLAN and the Wacom screen and some additional (but not necessary) interfaces, but for an e-book, it would be good enough to me.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #18
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
whoa, you know what?
if that prototype was available, .
It is interesting to note the last parragraph: "Special thanks to Philips Emerging Display Technologies for fabrication of the TFT array"

So while it is an e-ink prototype from Gates, the hardware has been done in coordination with the lab that also originated the irex spin-off.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #19
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
yeah, i have seen that.
but i like Gates idea of the design more. I think one could have fitted the Iliads parts in a similar housing, not as bulky looking as the actual one does.
OT: Gates design looks more like "future" (can't say it better) and seems to be more overthought (all bulky parts on one side), while the Iliad looks like a oversized PDA, as some people already mentioned.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:47 PM   #20
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
OT: Gates design looks more like "future" (can't say it better) and seems to be more overthought (all bulky parts on one side), while the Iliad looks like a oversized PDA, as some people already mentioned.
Gates takes advantage of artisan resin-based prototyping (he has even written a tutorial about, I believe) and manual component fitting while the commertial machines must be taylored for massive industrial production.

On the negative part, he never tooks the effort of putting an OS in these machines, as far as I have read.
Advert
Old 07-11-2006, 10:25 AM   #21
arivero
Guru

I am understanding that the PDF reader is actually done by APABI, a company that already had developed a pdf reader for windows. This raises a lot of doubts. Has this company being able to port its software to unix? Is it running under emulation?

And it means the set of holes and bugs will not be the standard xpdf set.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:45 AM   #22
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
I am understanding that the PDF reader is actually done by APABI, a company that already had developed a pdf reader for windows. This raises a lot of doubts. Has this company being able to port its software to unix? Is it running under emulation?

And it means the set of holes and bugs will not be the standard xpdf set.
Seriously, I don't think that we will need exploiting a hole to develop for the Iliad. Not when they're intending to release an SDK (call me optimist).

What i would prefer is that they load the uhci-hcd/ehci-hcd drivers in their embedded linux, and pressing some key combination on a attached usb keyboard forced the iliad to open a terminal instead of doing the normal init O:-). THAT would be useful (ok, an open ssh would be as useful as that ;-). Ok, it's just that the zaurus had that and it was very useful (albeit having and integrated "keyboard" made things somewhat easier).

Last edited by Antartica; 07-11-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote