Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Anyone just LOVE their Sony Reader?!

I ask because I keep seeing posts of people who have problems or it's not what they hoped and my 600 is in the mail to be delivered on Friday! My sister is trying to convince me that NOTHING will beat a Kindle 2 and I would just love to hear about people who are just so in love with their Sony!
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I'm sure you'll find lots of people who love their 600s here, it's just that complaints are usually louder
I certainly love mine, and as with any object of love, I acknowledge its shortcomings (few as they are) without letting them bother me - I love it too much for that!
Seriously now, I've got three readers and that's the one I use 99 percent of the time, which must mean something.
I hope you'll love yours just as much.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi yes I love mine

I've had it for several weeks now. Never had an ereader before and am loving the ease with which you can carry many books around with you on this wonderful device. I often read 3-5 books at a time so an ereader is a lot lighter to take around!

No matter how good a product, people will always criticise. I love the fact that the 600 has a good-sized screen. It's a breeze to read in sunlight which other devices can suck at. The ability to look up words with the dictionary is fab. And note-taking comes in handy.

I use mine daily. Hope you enjoy it!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Noritje
Enthusiast
Noritje began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300, Kobo Glo
I love mineeeeee! OK, not entirely because some converted file did take ages to load. But other that I really love my Sony reader (PRS 300), it is small and yet just nice for me.

Oh, you know what I hate though? The Sony ebook library, lol! But who doesn't? :P

Edited:

PS: I bet you will love your 600. I was contemplating between these two as well... the better screen contrast and visibility of 300 was indeed my deal breaker but 600 other functions (dictionary, touch screen, external memory etc) are really nice.

But then again, the screen performance of 600 was only based on my reading, I never seen it myself. Most probably I don't even know it, lol!Congrats and enjoy your new ebook reader!!

Last edited by Noritje; 12-09-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Noritje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I used a 505 for about 1 1/2 years and have now been using the 600 for a few months. I really liked my 505 but really wanted the added functionality the 600 offers. The screen clarity issue does not bother me at all.

The biggest pluses for me are being able to purchase ebooks from multiple sources and checking out ebooks from my local library.

I have no doubt the Kindle is a nice device, but I don't need the physical keyboard, wirelessly buying books does not interest me and the larger form factor is a turn off.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I LOVE my Sony PRS-505, and I would love to have a 600 or the upcoming 900 as well. I wouldn't mind having another brand of reader in addition to my Sony, but I there is no other brand of reader that I would trade my 505 for.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
owner of a 600 less than one week but i sure am digging it. i am sure you will too! here are some tips i learned.

1. get a PSP power supply, any non-sony will do. $10-15. far cheaper than the reader power cord.

2. get calibre. eBook Library is nice, but calibre is better, far better.

3. get one of the russian hacked roms (if you don't mind losing the dutch language support). the clock on the status bar is well worth it!

4. definitely look up your library's selection. mine has mostly audiobooks, but still worth checking out (pun intended)!

5. relax and enjoy your reader. everyone is going to have their own opinions on their own readers. worrying too much about what everyone else thinks just makes you spend time worrying instead of reading books!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Noritje
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
owner of a 600 less than one week but i sure am digging it. i am sure you will too! here are some tips i learned.

1. get a PSP power supply, any non-sony will do. $10-15. far cheaper than the reader power cord.

2. get calibre. eBook Library is nice, but calibre is better, far better.

3. get one of the russian hacked roms (if you don't mind losing the dutch language support). the clock on the status bar is well worth it!

4. definitely look up your library's selection. mine has mostly audiobooks, but still worth checking out (pun intended)!

5. relax and enjoy your reader. everyone is going to have their own opinions on their own readers. worrying too much about what everyone else thinks just makes you spend time worrying instead of reading books!
No it's nooooooot! LOL. I hate the eBook library. Viva la calibre!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I've never had problems with Sony software, but I don't use it exclusively. Sony's Library is useful when they offer free books. I have about 20 books on my device that were downloaded for free from Sony.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
Noritje
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I've never had problems with Sony software, but I don't use it exclusively. Sony's Library is useful when they offer free books. I have about 20 books on my device that were downloaded for free from Sony.
Well, I kinda agree. I like it for the free ebook (not that I can buy any since I am not residing in the US or Canada) but the software crashed on me so many times and rendered my ebook reader empty

So for me, Calibre is the only way to go and I just loooove the fact I can tag, sort and fixed the metadata, hehe.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I can say without reservation that I love my Sony 505! I use it for a few hours every single day, read 2-3 books simultaneously, and think it was the best purchase I've made in the last 15 years! I keep between 150-200 new (for me) books on it at all times, and use both Calibre and the older version of the Sony software to deal with conversions, managing, and loading my books. Until the day that someone comes out with a color version in high resolution, this will be my reader of choice.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
pink_squirrels
pink_squirrels began at the beginning.

Device: none
I adore my Sony.
I have the Sony PRS 600 (in red )
and it is fantastic. I have no complaints. Probably because I knew about the "ticks" before I bought it...but, in my opinion, the kindle and kindle 2 are hideous and awkward, the nook is nice but they went more for the show value than usable features....but the PRS 600 feels natural in my hands.
Additionally, I know people say the text is blurry but I haven't noticed that. I also love being able to write down quick notes, annotate, highlight, and of course, the dictionary. I have loads more to say but I've gotta run.
But I just thought i'd let you know I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world!
pink_squirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #13
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
My first reader was a PRS-505 and I adored it. I was talking to my boyfriend and told him it was gonna last forever b/c I doubted I would find anything better.

Then I saw the PRS-600.

I've had it for about 6-7 weeks and I have to say I absolutely adore it. There is nothing on it that I do not like. If I had the $ I'd buy at least 2 more as back-ups in case something ever happened to mine. U couldn't give me another reader to use!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #14
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I love the PRS-600, we pooled money and bought one for my cousin in September for her birthday. I had it for over a week because I created collections and shared my library with her before giving it to her. I played with it a lot the week I had it and would have bought myself one but I decided to wait for the PRS-900 which I already pre-ordered. I have the PRS-505 and Kindle 2, so the PRS-900 will be my 3rd reader. I love my PRS-505 which was my 1st ebook reader bought in December of 2007 and I still love it. As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with Sony!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #15
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I'm very pleased with my PRS-505 and it is basically the perfect ebook reader for me. For me, it was an upgrade from the PRS-500. While the PRS-500 was an okay ereader, it had a few limitations (such as not being able to go directly to a specific page, and no ability to put collections on a memory card) that were addressed by the PRS-505. Now, I can pretty much do everything that I need to do with an ebook reader.

Concerning the eBook Library software, I've found the current version (3.0.01.10191) works very well with my reader and on my computer. I sync only collections with my ebook reader (putting some on the internal memory and others on the memory card) and it works perfectly, putting only the books I want on my ereader, and putting them exactly where I want them. Since I format my ebooks for my reader using other programs, I only need the eBook Library software to take care of managing the books in the library and on my reader and it does that job well.

A factor in this is that I recently upgraded both the eBook Library software and my computer (basically doubling the power and memory of my old system) and the extra power took care of the problems I was having with the software (I was using an older version of the software, and my old computer was a basic workhorse system that had enough power to run the software, but it ran slowly). Now, the software quickly starts and runs fairly fast.

I don't foresee upgrading to another reader for a while, and based on my experience with Sony ereaders I'd likely stay with the brand. When I do purchase a new reader, the likely reason is to get one with a larger screen (one with a screen at least as large as a standard comic book page (approximately 6.5 inches x 10.25 inches/165mm x 255mm) so I can easily read both graphic novels and manga on it and enjoy the detailed artwork.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote