Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Surely he means 'liseuse'?
That is not even funny. It's just old by now.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I like that he refers to physical books as "warm". It reminds me of people I've met who hate CD's and talk about the "warmth" of vinyl.
Actually, it doesn't really take that much to get vinyl to sound better then CDs. Take a decent mid-range turn table with a good cartridge and a good phono pre-amp against a cheaply made CD player and yes, the LPs will be better sounding then the CDs.

But in terms of eBooks vs. pBooks, an eBook is just another way to read the same content. And yes, my 505 can feel colder then a paperback. But, a hardcover can also feel cold too due to the paper used for the sleeve.
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #18
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, it doesn't really take that much to get vinyl to sound better then CDs. Take a decent mid-range turn table with a good cartridge and a good phono pre-amp against a cheaply made CD player and yes, the LPs will be better sounding then the CDs.

But in terms of eBooks vs. pBooks, an eBook is just another way to read the same content. And yes, my 505 can feel colder then a paperback. But, a hardcover can also feel cold too due to the paper used for the sleeve.
The only difference worth noting being that your paper books supports different fonts.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

You missed my point. Vinyl might sound better and p-books might feel better, but these advantages are dwarfed by the convenience of digital music and ebooks. Also, I think the author meant "warm" metaphorically. I doubt he was referring to the actual temperature of the medium.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #20
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I am a little speechless about this to be honest. Text is text, and the ebook devices offer more ways to invest yourself in the text by marking your favourite passages with notes, flipping to a particular favourite section in seconds.

Writing notes in your traditional books is possible but the power with which you can revisit and flag text in ebooks is far superior. He's also ignoring the power of being able to carry 200 books in your pocket
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #21
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post

Writing notes in your traditional books is possible but the power with which you can revisit and flag text in ebooks is far superior. He's also ignoring the power of being able to carry 200 books in your pocket
He might have a very big pocket. Well.... you never know!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #22
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
He's also ignoring the power of being able to carry 200 books in your pocket
200? Sealbeater has 4,057 in his pocket. Check out the pic.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #23
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I attended The Australian Romance Readers Convention in February. I printed out a page for each of the authors I'd read showing the covers of their books that I owned in eversions. Not one author refused to sign and several asked to see my Hanlin and even called other authors to look at it.

Perhaps this 'want to be' should talk to some actual authors and get their opinions. Most authors are only too pleased to make a sale and know that someone enjoys their work.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #24
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I think it's a false dichotomy: I have bought several books in both electronic and paper editions, and I've found no real difference between them.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Having now read the article I am now both outraged and encouraged.

Outraged, because its just a really poor piece of journalism. It knocks e-readers without ever making a cogent argument against them. Take for example this sentence from the article:

“Without books” Lillian told me, “I would die."

So what will happen to young women like Lillian when the e-reader replaces the book as the dominant vehicle for the distribution and sale of written texts?

Well, clearly, the answer is, if that ever happens, that she will still be reading books, but just on an e-reader! The author of this piece is either too lazy or too stupid to realise that the word 'books' as used by 'Lillian' actually means 'reading'.

Oh, and I'm encouraged because I always fancied being a journalist and now I know that it doesn't take any real skill or discernable intelligence I might just be able to do it

No. Lillian said she would die, so she - and all the other luddites who cannot imagine change - will die. Either we'll notice one or two unexplained corpses, or we'll see the world swamped by a massive extinction event that will strain the public safety sector (who else would deal with mass graves?) beyond it's capacity.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
You missed my point. Vinyl might sound better and p-books might feel better, but these advantages are dwarfed by the convenience of digital music and ebooks. Also, I think the author meant "warm" metaphorically. I doubt he was referring to the actual temperature of the medium.
He was meaning warm in reference to the sound. Some people say digital music sounds cold.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
No. Lillian said she would die, so she - and all the other luddites who cannot imagine change - will die. Either we'll notice one or two unexplained corpses, or we'll see the world swamped by a massive extinction event that will strain the public safety sector (who else would deal with mass graves?) beyond it's capacity.

Derek
Well, since the pBook only crowd will all be dead, eBooks will flourish. Works for me.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #28
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Someone needs to read a little Heidegger. A paper book is just as much a work of technology as an ebook reader. And paper is no more "natural" than plastic, it just has an older pedigree.

Separately, I really fail to see how book conventions will change all that much with ebooks. Publishers will still want to hawk their wares, schmooze with their colleagues, and show off their stars.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #29
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
It's really a shame to see yet another article defending paper books only using emotional rhetoric and almost completely abandoning a logical, clean discussion.

I personally dislike most ebooks and prefer paper books 9 times out of 10, but it's not because I find paper to be sensual or any such poppycock. It's because the devices suck for many types of reading navigation, the screen quality is inferior to all but the absolute worst paper/printing in contrast and acuity, and most ebooks look as if they were formatted by a 10-year-old (I'm amazed the readers don't use Comic Sans as the default typeface.). They are storage devices with primitive viewing capacity that shows in a very crippled way some of the content, stripped of any professional bookmaking work. The storage is the real benefit, and it's a real benefit indeed in many ways.

I even think ebooks will one day, if they live up to any of their thus-far wasted potential, be a great medium for reading. There's no soul to speak of that they could lose. Tangibility sure. There's aways the amusing hypothetical post-apocalyptic situation where the batteries eventually die out and the optical discs degrade (<20 years), and education for the last remaining generations of mankind will rely on the few remaining paper libraries that survived in the bomb shelters of paranoid militants. If I decided to get up and go to the mountains to become a hermit, I'd probably want some tangible media. I don't really expect either of these to happen, but they're more believable than anything to do with "soul" or "warmth" (put a better processor in and they'll generate warmth too...but then it will be called "sterile" instead of "cold"). I'll always want SOME paper books, but moving a library is a pain in the ass, and carrying a bookcase on a commute or a trip...not so fun.

Sure, ebooks suck right now, but with luck the devices and content will improve. It'd be nice if some of the anti-ebook crowd would stop with the BS emotional end of it, and start being critical about the shortcomings of current ebook technology and implementation. Perhaps then these articles wouldn't be casually disregarded as irrational ebibliophobia.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:28 AM   #30
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...r-product.html

The usual litany of reservations from a pbook fetishist - what will authors autograph for fans?

At least he calls them e-readers!.
now there is an idea...get authors to sign your reader and see how many authors one reader can accumulate over the years.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote