Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Question for Asus netbook owners

After watching youtube videos on the ease of replacing both the ram and hard drive, I am going to replace the ram on the 1000HE (when I buy it) with a 2GB.

Looks like even I could do it...

I am confused, however, on which, if any, brand would be best. Is there a difference out there between brands of those things? Would this be a good choice?

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-CT2566...HBRC3B52ZH9QCB

Do you have an alternate choice that might be better?

Thanks for your imput.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Crucial is FINE. Good brand.

And, it is so easy to do a blind monkey under a tight deadline could do it.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 05-30-2009 at 10:31 AM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

somehow, I knew you'd be the first to answer!

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
somehow, I knew you'd be the first to answer!

Thanks.
I've bought it and used it, and the master (Leo Laporte) likes it .... so it HAS to be good.

DG, you are going to LOVE your new netbook. It is such a nice machine.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
And you're right DG. Replacing the RAM on a PC EEE is easy. On my older version it's just remove two screws (one is behind the little "PC EEE" sticker) release the old RAM and snap in the new RAM. The replace the screws.

BTW the sticker is there to void the warranty if it's removed but if you're gentle with it, it goes back nicely.

One thing that caused a panic for me - I didn't get the new RAM properly seated and had a blank screen when I turned it on. Once the RAM was properly seated, it was OK.

Good Luck.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I've bought it and used it, and the master (Leo Laporte) likes it .... so it HAS to be good.

DG, you are going to LOVE your new netbook. It is such a nice machine.

Yep..........almost there.

(I will not buy it before I have the cash, I will NOT buy it before I have the cash....)
Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
And you're right DG. Replacing the RAM on a PC EEE is easy. On my older version it's just remove two screws (one is behind the little "PC EEE" sticker) release the old RAM and snap in the new RAM. The replace the screws.

BTW the sticker is there to void the warranty if it's removed but if you're gentle with it, it goes back nicely.

One thing that caused a panic for me - I didn't get the new RAM properly seated and had a blank screen when I turned it on. Once the RAM was properly seated, it was OK.

Good Luck.
The sticker is not there on the newer versions, and in fact, a discussion with Asus left me understanding that installing a new stick of RAM does not void the warranty. They said that's because it's so easy to do, there really is no way to harm the PC by doing it.

I checked with the other companies I was thinking about purchasing from, and either it voided the warranty, or was tricky to do, or both.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Great news. I also watched the guy replace the hard drive. Even that looked easy.

However, I seriously doubt I need to do this. RM? Have you replaced yours?

Here is the link for anyone interested........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKUi0...3AC688&index=9
Old 05-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
DG - After spending two days with my Peewee (yes, I name it - it's just so cute ) and only needing to charge it once, I can honestly say, "I LOVE IT!" I can sit out on my patio, listen to the birds and the fountain the kids got me for Mother's day, and post to MR!

Life just doesn't get any better than this!!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
DG - After spending two days with my Peewee (yes, I name it - it's just so cute ) and only needing to charge it once, I can honestly say, "I LOVE IT!" I can sit out on my patio, listen to the birds and the fountain the kids got me for Mother's day, and post to MR!

Life just doesn't get any better than this!!
Good on you!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Great news. I also watched the guy replace the hard drive. Even that looked easy.

It is easy. I've done it....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:

I haven't as yet, but I may. It depends on how much space is available on a drive that will fit. Come to think of it, I need to do a replacement on a friend's HD on her laptop .... I may shop around for one for my netbook while I'm at it.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I ordered mine from Amazon.com; it'll be here Wednesday, and I ordered a 2 GB RAM stick with it for 22$; so I'll have the extra RAM in it before I start it up the first time.

I plan to run Windows 7 on it, but I also like to play with Linux and maybe some other things, so swapping out the hard drive is an interesting option I hadn't though of.

And don't talk to me about dual booting; I'm not interested on a production machine! I'd consider a virtual machine, but this thing is a little slim on resources anyway. I'm thinking; if a hdd swap only takes a minute or two ...
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I ordered mine from Amazon.com; it'll be here Wednesday, and I ordered a 2 GB RAM stick with it for 22$; so I'll have the extra RAM in it before I start it up the first time.

I plan to run Windows 7 on it, but I also like to play with Linux and maybe some other things, so swapping out the hard drive is an interesting option I hadn't though of.

And don't talk to me about dual booting; I'm not interested on a production machine! I'd consider a virtual machine, but this thing is a little slim on resources anyway. I'm thinking; if a hdd swap only takes a minute or two ...
I'm toying with the idea of putting Windows 7 on the new HD when I get it. Stupid CDW is closed on weekends (I mean .... really), so I might be waiting till then to order.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

Did you get the blue or black? There are some neat skins on decalgirl.com for this..........