Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 03:14 AM   #16
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I use the snot out of my N800. I've had it for about a year, and have read about 70 ebooks on it. It does most things I want to.

Still, I'm in the market for an ebook reader. I just want the eink display, to have something easier on my eyes than the LCD.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
IngoS
IngoS began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am still very satisfied with this phone
IngoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 02:12 AM   #18
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The N800 is not a phone.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:02 AM   #19
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Wow, it's even better than I thought. I was trying to load xournal the other day and was getting dependency errors, so I checked out the Nokia website and found that I was more than a couple versions of firmware behind. So I downloaded and installed DIABLO and reloaded FBREADER. I'm here to report that it is much better than the version I had on the old OS. The FBREADER site said to load it from the DIABLO extra repository, and it works great. The problems with the library seem to have been sorted out, and the font settings and format seem better.

BTW xournal loaded up just fine on DIABLO, and now I find my ADVENT 3500PC is redundant, as the N800 turns out to be a much better note taker. Oh well, the $270 I paid for the 3500PC is not entirely wasted, I can still use it as a GPS, and the chargers both work on my Asus eeePC.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #20
Hellmark
Wizard

I use my N800 for school notes in xournal, and if it is a boring class, I load FBReader. Great device.
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
Mysteryman
Mysteryman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does nokia still sell the N800?
Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #22
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Does nokia still sell the N800?
Based on www.nokiausa.com, the answer is "no".
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #23
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
There may still be a few n810's kicking around for sale somewhere, and the n900 is beginning to ship next week.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #24
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
While I don't use my N800 that much nowadays, as I mainly use my Pocket Pro or my iPhone.

When I do use it, I usually use it for reading comics or Listening to music or Net radio.

While FBReaders great, and saved me when I didn't have a eink reader for a few months, I prefer to read on a eInk screen when possible and at other times I usually have my iPhone with me.

Picking it up after not using it for a few months is always an experience, especially if I need to remember how everything works. It's still a nice device, and of some use to me, so I've not gotten rid of it yet. I'm looking to repurpose it as a media streaming device but I've not found the right mix of software, nor the time to get it working .
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:36 AM   #25
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Have a glance at Knots2 - it might be what you need for media streaming.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #26
eastbayarb
eastbayarb began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I love my N810. I got rid of my itouch 32gb (version2) because I absolutely HATE itunes. I like being able to drag and drop MP3's and play in Canola 2.
As for ebooks, I use FBreader and just love it. I have a large collection of Microsoft LIT ebooks that I convert to other formats using ABC Amber LIT converter, and it works well.

I had a kindle 1 once, and while the whispernet was an awesome free feature, it was slow and didn't support sub directories or catagories (it would just display every single ebook you had in one list). The DX Kindle, while supporting PDF natively, is too expensive, and the N810 handles them great with the PDF reader.

The best part of the N810 is it's open source, and apps are available easily. I use it for GPS and it works good too. This thing really is like a handheld computer.
eastbayarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #27
codeMonkey
Zealot

If you haven't tried it yet, Evince is a better pdf reader than the default one on the device. But yes, I love both my n800 and my n900
Old 12-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #28
eastbayarb
eastbayarb began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
If you haven't tried it yet, Evince is a better pdf reader than the default one on the device. But yes, I love both my n800 and my n900
codeMonkey,

have you ever gotten any kind of program on the n810 to work for remotely connecting to a PC ?

congrats on your n900
eastbayarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #29
codeMonkey
Zealot

I've used both vnc and rdesktop. There's an rdesktop front-end called pyrdesktop which gives a more graphical ui.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #30
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
I have an n810 (and are waiting for my n900...) and Evince seemed to be a more competent viewer but I got performance problem with it. Some documents took a lot of time to open and seemed to consume a lot of memory and the same documents worked much better with the default viewer,
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote