Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #46
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Peter F. Hamilton. Holy Crap. Glad I wasn't carrying it around, when travelling!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Longest book?

I've no idea, very hard to compare pbooks... Hard covers are thicker in general, even if they are shorter in length, some books have a larger lettering, others thinner paper...

But I think the thickest book I have in my book collection is Amber, from Roger Zelazny (especially impressive, as the paper is really thin in that one!)

Others are the Outlander series and in the pocket line I have Noble House by Clavell and the books by Auel (Clan of the Cave Bear and the rest). Loved them all...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 AM   #48
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space

Longest sci-fi book I read in ebook format. It is very good too.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #49
junglesgal
junglesgal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Elizabeth Kostova - The Historian

It's a bit similar to the Dan Brown books but it's about chasing Dracula! Very exciting! And long...
junglesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #50
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglesgal View Post

It's a bit similar to the Dan Brown books but it's about chasing Dracula! Very exciting! And long...
Agreed. Captivating.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #51
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Anathem. It was over 2 Mb.

Funny how quickly you can convert to thinking of book length in terms of file size. Sometimes I buy a book and forget to check reading time and then when I download I always hope it takes longer because then it could be a bigger book.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #52
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm just beginning to re-read Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep. Sooo happy to have it as an ebook! It and A Deepness in the Sky are about the same length, approx 3500 pages each, so it will be about 7,000 pages total on my reader. Joy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #53
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Years ago I bought the hardback version of Arthur Conan Doyles "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" and enjoyed each and every story. Had to sit down while reading it tho, it was heavy!

And then there is "The Complete and Uncut The Stand" by Stephen King. Still love it.

Can't forget Michener's "Hawaii", "The Covenant" or "Centennial"

Long and wordy, yes, but interesting to the end.

And to think all these and hundreds of others on a device the size of a Kindle......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #54
shadowwolf36
Enthusiast
shadowwolf36 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Digital
The Stand a very long time ago (so much better than the movie) and more recently "The Forsyte Saga" started as an audio book, couldn't stand the man reading it (for over 40 hours total ugh) so read it instead....Loved it BTW
shadowwolf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #55
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
In paper, I've read the first three books in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and the next three are sitting in paperback on my TBR bookcase. I may decide to purchase them as eBooks and give away the paperbacks in my book-swapping group. I won't go back any further in my paper-reading history.

Since the number of pages on a reader is dependent upon the size of the font and the line spacing, I try to use the page count from the paperback edition, if available. I use this in my reading records as it works for paper books, electronic books, and audio books.

The longest book I've read on my reader is The Pillars of the Earth which is 976 pages in paperback. Second was Breaking Dawn, the fourth in the Twilight series. The entire series comes in at 2560 pages (1st 3 in paperback, last in hardback). Third was The Lies of Locke Lamora at 752 pages in its print edition.

I also bought Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion from Baen and read it on my Kindle and Sony readers. The trilogy was re-printed in a single paperback volume and totals 1535 pages for all three novels.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #56
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I have to remind the readers of this thread that the length of an ebook should be judged in word count rather than in page number. All is relative to font size.

Those interested can transfer books to Word or PDF to examine word count. Of course in non protected books.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #57
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
The longest book I've read as an ebook is The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman. The paperback edition of this book is 672 pages.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #58
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Time to bring back a thread from the dead.

The longest book on the e-reader so far is only about 482 pages.

I've read some long ones in tree format though. Vikram Seth's ~A Suitable Boy~ was by far the longest. 591,552 words (according to Wikipedia). The paperback is 1,488 pages long. I loved it. I devoured it in a few weeks reading it on the bus and late into the night. Often reading 100 pages a night. Of course, I was single, on a workterm, and had lots of time.

Other notable long books: Stephen King's ~It~ (1,104 pages), Charles Dickens ~Pickwick Papers~ (786 pages), Herman Melville's ~Moby Dick~ (656 pages), Wally Lamb's ~I Know this Much is True~ (928 pages).
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #59
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglesgal View Post

thanks for the suggestion, i will be picking this up soon and adding it to my soon to be read list, sounds fun.

longest book for me was monster hunter international, 736pages listed on amazon for the pbook.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #60
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I enjoyed "Battlefield Earth". "Mission Earth" is just awful, and Hubbard most likely had little input into it himself. Hubbard may have had some wierd religious views, but don't forget that long before that he was a perfectly competent SF author. Not a "great" author, but a competent one, certainly.
Like a lot of people, I am pretty sure Hubbard's "weird view" of religion was that inventing one would rope in a captive book buying audience. A crazy idea that sold a lot of really awful books, and kept them in print when they should have been 3000 book vanity press runs.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote