Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 04:11 AM   #31
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did read the first two books in the Mission Earth series and vowed never to read anything L. Ron Hubbard ever wrote. I also had the misfortune to read Battlefield Earth.

Whoever had the bad idea to make Battlefield Earth into a disaster of a movie should be fired along with whoever approved it.
I read all of Battlefield Earth. I feel like I feel about The Da Vinci Code - I read it all, and it mostly stumbled along enough to continue reading, but like a McDonalds binge I regretted it afterwards - it left such a horrible taste in my mouth, and I swore never to go back (and yet I started on Mission Earth for some reason ).

I've never seen the movie (Battlefield Earth that is) and the universal condemnation (as opposed to some people who pop up and say they didn't mind the book) has never inspired me to, nor has seeing John Travolta in full makeup for it.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 03-17-2009 at 04:38 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
L. Ron Hubbard is like an accident on the other side of the road. You know you shouldn't look, but you do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #33
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
L. Ron Hubbard is like an accident on the other side of the road. You know you shouldn't look, but you do.
Well we know who to make the chairman of the L Ron Hubbard fanclub now . don't we
I read the Mission Earth decalogy and BattleField Earth when I was an easy to please young guy in the 80's but have become a bit pickier as I have grown older. I too have not had the guts to watch the universally panned movie of BattleField Earth
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Well we know who to make the chairman of the L Ron Hubbard fanclub now . don't we
I read the Mission Earth decalogy and BattleField Earth when I was an easy to please young guy in the 80's but have become a bit pickier as I have grown older. I too have not had the guts to watch the universally panned movie of BattleField Earth
I enjoyed "Battlefield Earth". "Mission Earth" is just awful, and Hubbard most likely had little input into it himself. Hubbard may have had some wierd religious views, but don't forget that long before that he was a perfectly competent SF author. Not a "great" author, but a competent one, certainly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #35
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Where did you buy it from, Jon? FW sell it for $50, which is crazy!
I bought it from Fictionwise last year (August) for $15.26 and it looks like I got at least a 50% micropay rebate on that (it was combined with another ebook costing $17 and I received $25 in micropay).

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #36
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The 6 books (so far) in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon are big enough that the fan club has created Tshirts saying "I Love Big Books". I've not seen them in paperback, so I can't say how many pages are in them. But I read all 6 on my Palm Tungsten pda. Yummy -- can't wait for another to come out!

Ahh -- Amazon lists page counts. The first book was 896 pages in paperback. 752, 880, 896, 1456, and 992 for the rest of them.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 03-17-2009 at 06:28 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #37
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Im just reading the Whiskey Rebels too (thanks Random House ). I am thoroughly enjoying it which has surprised me as its not usually my thing.

I think the longest book I have read is Beach Music by Pat Conroy, man that book went on and on and on LOL

Dawn
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #38
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
The 6 books (so far) in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon are big enough that the fan club has created Tshirts saying "I Love Big Books". I've not seen them in paperback, so I can't say how many pages are in them. But I read all 6 on my Palm Tungsten pda. Yummy -- can't wait for another to come out!

Ahh -- Amazon lists page counts. The first book was 896 pages in paperback. 752, 880, 896, 1456, and 992 for the rest of them.
Me too!!! Can't wait! Now if only I had my very own Jamie!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #39
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I read about 4 of the Wheel of Time pbooks but they got a bit repetitive so I didn't go any further but another friend who has read the lot says they do change a bit after about book 7 or so.
I have World Without End on my reader waiting to be read and I think that is pretty long as well.
Where did you find a Wheels of Time eBook? I've read 1-8 or 9 in paper, before it got too expensive. However, I would like to get the entire set in eBook form. At the very least I would like to continue onfrom the last paper book (DTB) that I still haveand that is book 7.

The longest single book? That would be either the Bible or Atlas Shrugged. If I think of the longest single series, it would Sjerrilyn Kenyon's Hunter Series (all three combined).
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:57 AM   #40
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS View Post
Im just reading the Whiskey Rebels too (thanks Random House ). I am thoroughly enjoying it which has surprised me as its not usually my thing.

I think the longest book I have read is Beach Music by Pat Conroy, man that book went on and on and on LOL

Dawn
That's how I felt when I read it. It started interesting and kept you going throughout the book. Being from Oz my knowledge of American history is pretty minimal but it didn't stop me enjoying it. I have not read many historical fiction books before but I'll give some more a go in the future.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #41
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix (896 pages - Hardcover). I enjoyed that book more than any other longer book I've ever read in my life.

Aside from that. The next one was Gone With The Wind which is over 900 pages.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #42
eumesmo
Connoisseur
eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eumesmo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
On paper, it was certainly Proust's "À la recherche du temps perdu". Now on e-ink(PRS-500) it was Dostoevsky's "The Possessed(Devils)", but I get the impression I used larger fonts than usual, making it almost as big as "War and Peace". Though I enjoyed it throughly, unfortunately I read PG's edition, which happens(happened) to be the censured edition, learning of the existence of uncensored editions, and Virginia Woolf's translation of the censured chapter only much afterwards... Well, enough of my woe, guess I'll have to make the uncensored edition priority on my "Books to re-read" list.
eumesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #43
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I'm still in the process of reading *everything Heinlein ever wrote ever* on my Kindle, though I'm breaking it up more recently with other books. Time Enough For Love was the longest so far (608 pages according to Amazon).
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #44
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:

I'm reading Outlander on my Sony now and it is over 1800 pages (I can't remember the exact count and I'm away from my reader.)

I have them all in paper form and they were the books I checked when I was investigating readers -- I wanted to make sure that series was available and at a reasonable price.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:23 AM   #45
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

Being very careful what I say, here, 'cause I know that Diana's books are not liked by a few members (!) - I don't have them as e-versions, but I enjoy the series as does my lady....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote