Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2024, 08:32 PM   #1
KetchupCider
KetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheese

Device: Paperwhite 4, Paperwhite 5 SE
ScreenSaver Options Not Working

Hi, I'm trying out the Screensaver hack on a freshly jailbroken 5.16.2.1.1.

I'm trying to enable Black Borders, within the Cover Mode Behavior, but each time I select this option, the screen just refreshes and I'm returned to the KUAL menu.

Has anyone had this happen before on a PW5? Wanted to reach out in case there is a fix available.

Happy new year!
KetchupCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 08:54 PM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Don't try this. Nothing expect KUAL, KOReader and usbnet work on 5.16.x .
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2024, 09:27 PM   #3
KetchupCider
KetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheeseKetchupCider can extract oil from cheese

Darn, that's a bummer -- thank you for letting me know!

It sounds like a lot of posts are indicating that downgrading is ideal. I remember back with the PSP hacking scene, everyone talked about the "golden firmware" that you were advised to downgrade to. Is there a recommended version to downgrade to with the Kindle, to get a better balance of stock OS features as well as working jailbreak features?
Old 01-02-2024, 09:28 PM   #4
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Anything less than 5.16.x xD
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:44 PM   #5
KetchupCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Anything less than 5.16.x xD
Thanks! I'm considering potentially 5.15.1 now for this device.

Looking at the Firmware page
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Firmware

It seems like the ad-infested homescreen was implemented on 5.13.7. I think the Paperwhite 5/11th gen signature edition was released after this though, likely with a FW version of ~5.14ish... would it be dangerous to attempt a downgrade to a version that was released prior to a device's release? I could see some issues potentially coming up with the ambient light sensor, for example. I just don't know enough about this so want to be extra careful.
Advert
Old 01-03-2024, 12:40 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
NiLuJe has frequently posted that it is a bad idea to install and run any sleep screen hacks on any firmware that natively supports sleep screen customization.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:09 PM   #7
Marek
Zealot
Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628
Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchupCider View Post
Thanks! I'm considering potentially 5.15.1 now for this device.

Looking at the Firmware page
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Firmware

It seems like the ad-infested homescreen was implemented on 5.13.7. I think the Paperwhite 5/11th gen signature edition was released after this though, likely with a FW version of ~5.14ish... would it be dangerous to attempt a downgrade to a version that was released prior to a device's release? I could see some issues potentially coming up with the ambient light sensor, for example. I just don't know enough about this so want to be extra careful.
I can't recommend downgrading 11th gen devices (PW5, KT5) since ive heard multiple reports of pw5's being bricked on lower firmwares
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:45 PM   #8
KetchupCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
NiLuJe has frequently posted that it is a bad idea to install and run any sleep screen hacks on any firmware that natively supports sleep screen customization.
Aaah, got it -- apologies, I'm pretty new here and hadn't seen that yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
I can't recommend downgrading 11th gen devices (PW5, KT5) since ive heard multiple reports of pw5's being bricked on lower firmwares
Darn, thanks for letting me know! Do you know if that includes downgrading these from 5.16.2.1.1 to 5.14.2 for example? Or, not sure if there would be issues downgrading to specifically lower versions that were released before the PW5 was even released, like 5.13.7?

I'm glad to have jailbreak working on it, so at this point I'm hoping to get some more jailbreak features working better than they do on 5.16.x like mergen3107 mentioned earlier in the thread. Either way, stoked to have the jailbreak working at this point, but figured I'd ask!

Last edited by KetchupCider; 01-03-2024 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 01:20 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Never ever install any firmware earlier than the original model release on any kindle. (Unless you want to brick it. Most of the time the kindle will silently delete it, but you never know what might happen except that it won't be good. Kindle firmware makes all kinds of assumptions about the hardware it is running on.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:45 PM   #10
KetchupCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Never ever install any firmware earlier than the original model release on any kindle. (Unless you want to brick it. Most of the time the kindle will silently delete it, but you never know what might happen except that it won't be good. Kindle firmware makes all kinds of assumptions about the hardware it is running on.)
Definitely, that makes sense for sure! Thanks for confirming; better safe than sorry!

I guess I'm wondering then, have there been any reports of people successfully downgrading a PW5 to an existing firmware for that device? I could definitely see a case where many would brick their PW5 downgrading to any version with the old interface (since the device was not even around then), but I'm now curious about going to a version like 5.14.2 on a PW5, since that version was around after the PW5 was released.

I checked the downgrade thread and searched forum topics, but I haven't yet found any reports of successful downgrades (or bricks, for that matter) for the PW5 downgrading to 5.14.x versions. Figured I'd ask about it in case I'd missed anything!
Old 01-09-2024, 10:09 PM   #11
KetchupCider

I found a few posts here that indicated success after downgrades to 5.14.2, so I attempted it and it worked! This version definitely works better with jailbreak apps/hacks than 5.16.x.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:08 AM   #12
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Is your PW5 a 8GB or a 16GB version?
And what firmware version did it have out of the box?
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:22 PM   #13
KetchupCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Is your PW5 a 8GB or a 16GB version?
And what firmware version did it have out of the box?
Mine is the 32GB version, and I'm not certain which firmware it came with. I purchased it around September 2022, so maybe 5.14.x was prevalent around that time.

I couldn't get the Downgrade to execute the reboot action from within KUAL (seems like it doesn't work well on 5.16.x), so I looked at the downgrader files and ended up SSHing in, and ran the same shell script as is contained within the downgrader files. Had to add the argument of the Paperwhite 11 shown in the menu.json, but it ran that script and then rebooted to the "Upgrading..." screen. I haven't noticed any issues so far but I'm keeping an eye out!

Last edited by KetchupCider; 01-11-2024 at 12:29 AM.