Notices

Old 11-22-2023, 03:27 PM   #1
dulipishi
dulipishi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle scribe
Export kindle scribe notebooks to another device with new account

Hi,
I would like to move notebooks created on my kindle scribe to another device
(where a different user is signed in) so that they are editable on the new device. Note: this is not a pdf export, but an actual notebook move.

I tried downloading the .notebooks folder onto my computer and moving it over the .notebooks folder on the other kindle scribe, but that did not work.
There is something tying the .notebooks with information stored elsewhere on the kindle device.

Any help would be appreciated!
dulipishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:56 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Please avoid duplicate posts.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2023, 04:28 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulipishi View Post
Hi,
I would like to move notebooks created on my kindle scribe to another device
(where a different user is signed in) so that they are editable on the new device. Note: this is not a pdf export, but an actual notebook move.

I tried downloading the .notebooks folder onto my computer and moving it over the .notebooks folder on the other kindle scribe, but that did not work.
There is something tying the .notebooks with information stored elsewhere on the kindle device.

Any help would be appreciated!
You need to:
  • Download all of the notebooks you want to copy
  • Copy .notebooks folder to your computer
  • Notebook folders are of form c1efe2d5-1d7e-4bbc-af80-237485f63e4d; the other folders contain pen annotations for books and personal documents.
  • Change the modify date for each of the nbk files in the notebook folders you copied to the computer so that they are in the future (24h will work). Unless you have some special GUI tool, you'll need to use terminal/command line command. For macOS the command is touch -A 24 nbk. On Windows you can use a PowerShell command to do this (I figured it out once but don't remember ATM); Windows Subsystem for Linux can probably use touch command similar to macOS terminal.
  • connect the other kindle
  • Create dummy notebooks on the target device (one for each notebook you want to copy)
  • overwrite one of the nbk files on the other scribe with one of the date-modified ones
  • disconnect and give the notebooks proper names, create folders etc. (the database that stores these is not in user-accessible storage, so you can't just copy it from the other Scribe)

The key is that the target folders must exist before you replace the contents: the GUIDs are unique to the Scribe in question so another Scribe will just ignore them. And Scribe runs on GMT time and will only think the files have been updated if the modify dates is in future of current GMT time.

It might be possible to replace without updating modify time if the target Scribe was not online when you created the folders, it might not have sync timestamp to compare to. I have not tried that.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-24-2023 at 04:45 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:40 PM   #4
dulipishi
dulipishi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle scribe
Thank you so much! This worked perfectly. I used Linux and touch -d "next Thursday" ./nbk on each nbk I wanted to update.

To the moderator: apologies for the duplicate post. I did not realize that a post goes into moderation before it appears. I assumed I had lost the post.
dulipishi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, notebooks, scribe, share