Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2023, 07:46 PM   #31
bigwoof
Connoisseur
bigwoof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 32G
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@bigwoof: I've just respun the *JB* hotfix in the snapshots (not KUAL, so you'll have to install KUAL via ;log mpri).
Thanks! the hotfix now installs fines -- previously it would just be removed immediately by the kindle as "invalid".

now installing kual. okay, it is now trying to install it as I get the unable to remount messages.

oh spoke too soon. The error inside is still the same. attached the error log.

will mrpi need to be updated as well as I see the kindletool package inside that.

Thanks!

Last edited by bigwoof; 12-17-2023 at 07:59 PM.
bigwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 08:01 PM   #32
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Right, I'm an idiot, I was thinking of target versions, not target *devices*. MRPI or UYK won't make a difference here, my bad ;p.

EDIT: Respun KUAL packages are up.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-17-2023 at 08:04 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2023, 08:05 PM   #33
bigwoof
Connoisseur

Quote:
Right, I'm an idiot, I was thinking of target versions, not target *devices*. MRPI or UYK won't make a difference here, my bad ;p.

EDIT: Respun KUAL packages are up.
oh so there were at least two issues then.

1. The JB hotfix needed a version change to handle the additional 1 maybe in the firmware? This seems fixed as I can install (and have done so) the hotfix now. It used to just get auto-removed previously as illegal.

2. kual needs an additional device ID added to it.

Thanks for your help btw!!

trying now and I got a giant tick on the screen! That's new :-)

also, what's the difference the normal version and the hotfix? could not really find that in the forums except for some people claiming installing both is needed.

awesome! It works just installing the normal version. Thank you so much for fixing this! :-)

Last edited by bigwoof; 12-17-2023 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:34 PM   #34
bigwoof
Connoisseur

Hi @NiLuJe

is there a way for me to fix the packages myself? because I can install all the kual extensions (like battery status and the excellent binaryRenamer) package easily

but anything that requires a mrpi install (usbnet, screensaver etc.) all fails with the same error..

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2023, 10:08 PM   #35
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, it's just a packaging change for *hotfix* packages. Which answers your other questions: hotfix packages have restrictions imposed on their packaging metadata in order to pass through the native "Update Your Kindle" checks.

MRPI packages can be more loosely packaged.

The rest of the packages (with the exception of USBNet, which I forgot for your specific case) haven't been respun, because they're not actually useful on newer devices.

Assuming you're using a KindleTool version built from master, you can repackage an existing (non hotfix) package with a combination of kindletool convert + kindletool create on the resulting tarball.

e.g.,
Code:
kindletool convert Update_usbnet_0.22.N_install_pw2_and_up.bin
kindletool create ota2 -X -d kindle5 Update_usbnet_0.22.N_install_pw2_and_up_converted.tar.gz Update_usbnet_respun.bin

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-17-2023 at 10:10 PM.
Advert
Old 12-17-2023, 11:14 PM   #36
bigwoof
Connoisseur

Quote:
Assuming you're using a KindleTool version built from master, you can repackage an existing (non hotfix) package with a combination of kindletool convert + kindletool create on the resulting tarball.

[/code]
okay. I can get this done on my linux box. Thanks for the guide! :-)

*UPDATE* respinning the package worked great! Thanks!

quick question: so the other packages (screensaver and fonts) don't work on this device?

also I respun the librariansync package (the main reason I JB the kindle in the first place) and trying it. it does not seem to have any binaries inside (FBInk) that need updating.. so hopefully the paths in it are still valid..

Thanks!

Last edited by bigwoof; 12-17-2023 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:06 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoof View Post
quick question: so the other packages (screensaver and fonts) don't work on this device?
Probably not. More to the point, they serve no purpose as those features are supported natively on the firmware these devices run on.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:07 PM   #38
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
librariansync
Doesn't need a .bin at all to begin with; but requires up-to-date python modules that I haven't rebuilt yet for visual feedback.

Stuff should sort of work, but the plugin doesn't recognize new devices either, so, eh.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:01 PM   #39
bigwoof
Connoisseur

Quote:
Probably not. More to the point, they serve no purpose as those features are supported natively on the firmware these devices run on.
got it! Thanks! and thanks for the note on the librariansync plugin as well! I'm still plugging away at that.. Selected a paperwhite as the device for the plugin (as yes it did not autodetect). added the QT6 patch. now going to try to get it to work..

UPDATE on Dec 19th 2023: gah... after failing miserably to get ssh to the kindle to work on my windows laptop (installed the kindle usb device, can ping the kindle, can't ssh in.. sigh..), just plugged into my linux box and it works flawlessly!!

and now I see why librariansync does not seem to be working..

[root@kindle librariansync]# ./generate_collections.py
env: can't execute 'python2.7': No such file or directory

<slaps head> okay now where is that python package....? :-)

yes!! and that worked! one respun python package later and the collections are now working!

so really nothing to do to support PW5 except maybe fix the autodetect (if you care). otherwise just select paperwhite, do the QT6 patch (only needed for manual editing as well. the generate collections just works) and maybe add a strong message somewhere (it's probably there and I missed it) that you need the python 2.7 libraries installed on the kindle or it will fail silently :-)

I'm happy! now that collections are working, it's time to load up the kindle with books! was hesitating as just searching for books with no organisation just seems wrong...especially when your library is large!! :-) :-)

Last edited by bigwoof; 12-19-2023 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:21 AM   #40
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
I’m having a similar issue with a KV w/3G that I recently bought from eBay. I was able to jailbreak it, and run the related hotfix. KUAL and mrpi are installed, I have the appropriate directories, and can run intocable, which just requires a drop into the extensions folder. But I get a device not targeted error for any mrpi package installation.

Per the log, my device is not in the device list - it is identified as “4F”, which aligns with the serial number starting with “B04F”, but I wasn’t able to identify that model using available lookup tables. A google search result suggested that it might be a Canadian model.

I was able to register the device to my account, so I’m assuming the serial number is valid, as the device type is also correctly identified.

I’m trying to install python and libsync, both of which require installation of their bin files. I’m using all of the current KUAL (Coplate), mrpi and python versions from the snapshots thread.

Any suggestions or help available? Though I’m tech savvy, I am not a programmer.

Edit: I’m on firmware 5.13.6, if that matters.

Last edited by BiliBug; 01-07-2024 at 11:24 AM.
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 02:44 PM   #41
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
I’m having a similar issue with a KV w/3G that I recently bought from eBay. I get a device not targeted error for any mrpi package installation.

Per the log, my device is not in the device list - it is identified as “4F”, which aligns with the serial number starting with “B04F”.

Any suggestions or help available? Though I’m tech savvy, I am not a programmer.

Edit: I’m on firmware 5.13.6, if that matters.
PM the above information to NiLuJe.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 06:54 PM   #42
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
PM the above information to NiLuJe.
Thank you!
Old 01-07-2024, 10:30 PM   #43
bigwoof
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
I’m having a similar issue with a KV w/3G that I recently bought from eBay. I was able to jailbreak it, and run the related hotfix. KUAL and mrpi are installed, I have the appropriate directories, and can run intocable, which just requires a drop into the extensions folder. But I get a device not targeted error for any mrpi package installation.

if you can get KUAL and the hotfix installed and not some packages, it seems like some of the packages have not been updated with the latest kindletool IDs. you can try to respin them yourself and reinstall. That worked for me btw.. The instructions from NiLuJe are posted above (or click on the link below).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=35
Old 01-08-2024, 12:37 PM   #44
BiliBug
Connoisseur

Quote:
if you can get KUAL and the hotfix installed and not some packages, it seems like some of the packages have not been updated with the latest kindletool IDs. you can try to respin them yourself and reinstall. That worked for me btw.. The instructions from NiLuJe are posted above (or click on the link below).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=35
I think the issue, though, is that this model number doesn't exist in any of the device databases, so even if the bin files are respun, my model number will not be added. I'll read through this thread again, but is it possible to manually add a model number to the known device list?
Old 01-08-2024, 02:19 PM   #45
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, it was missing from the "seen in the wild" list in KindleTool.

I've just added it, but you'll have to respin packages yourself for now.