Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2023, 03:38 PM   #31
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
[QUOTE=tomsem;4368361]Restart the Kindle and try again.[/QUOTE

I posted next that I solved the issue. Thank you.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:45 PM   #32
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Kindle firmware 5.16.4

Why is everyone always in such a big rush to upgrade the firmware? It’s almost always a tiny update with no large impacts. Unless it’s a security thing, I just let it happen when it happens.

Last edited by kyrilson; 10-31-2023 at 07:48 PM.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2023, 09:57 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Why is everyone always in such a big rush to upgrade the firmware? It’s almost always a tiny update with no large impacts. Unless it’s a security thing, I just let it happen when it happens.
I don't need to rush. For some reason, my PW 10th gen seems to be automatically download updates within 48 hours of the release.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 03:24 AM   #34
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
I just don't want it to be in the middle of update when I am trying to read.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 05:33 AM   #35
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
I just don't want it to be in the middle of update when I am trying to read.
This will never happen. It’s not Windows XP
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2023, 06:07 AM   #36
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur
Bluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bricked PW5
Quote:
Actually 5.16.4 seems to have some pretty big changes behind the scenes
Something relating to an... "ekart"?

Should have some noticable changes too especially in OOBE and potentially settings too
Bluebotlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:37 AM   #37
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
This will never happen. It’s not Windows XP
Unless my memory failed me it has happened to me.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:26 AM   #38
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebotlabs View Post
Actually 5.16.4 seems to have some pretty big changes behind the scenes

Should have some noticable changes too especially in OOBE and potentially settings too
There are a lot of files modified in this release. Along with what you mentioned there is new DRM for KFX format and possibly a change to how firmware updates are delivered other the air.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:44 AM   #39
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
Unless my memory failed me it has happened to me.
I think your memory is OK. It used to happen to me years ago, before I learned how to block updates.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:32 PM   #40
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebotlabs View Post
Any idea what this would be? (I'm guessing not)
Quote:
OOBE
Out of box experience?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:09 PM   #41
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Me, I don’t understand why people don’t apply updates as soon as possible.

As with all my devices, I like to have them all up to date, for security and performance reasons.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:25 PM   #42
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
possibly a change to how firmware updates are delivered other the air.
Can you elaborate on this please.
Do otaupd and otav3 exist in /usr/bin?
Can we still block updates by renaming them?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:33 PM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Me, I don’t understand why people don’t apply updates as soon as possible.

As with all my devices, I like to have them all up to date, for security and performance reasons.
Well, if you could be sure that the update actually significantly improved performance, or fixed a likely security hole or squashed a bug?

I like to let others test, as too many big companies use the regular users as beta testers and they either lie or don't really say what the update is for.

The generic "improved performance" and "fixed bugs" notice on many Windows & Android updates seems to be a stock mythical notice.

I've seen updates remove features, degrade usability, add bugs or reduce performance. At least on Kobo and Linux you can go back, on Kindle it's impossible, Android nearly impossible (or impossible) and on windows it's harder than it used to be unless your only windows are on VMs with backups. Harder on Linux than it used to be, but you can still boot alternate Kernels.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:18 PM   #44
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Well, if you could be sure that the update actually significantly improved performance, or fixed a likely security hole or squashed a bug?

I like to let others test, as too many big companies use the regular users as beta testers and they either lie or don't really say what the update is for.

The generic "improved performance" and "fixed bugs" notice on many Windows & Android updates seems to be a stock mythical notice.

I've seen updates remove features, degrade usability, add bugs or reduce performance. At least on Kobo and Linux you can go back, on Kindle it's impossible, Android nearly impossible (or impossible) and on windows it's harder than it used to be unless your only windows are on VMs with backups. Harder on Linux than it used to be, but you can still boot alternate Kernels.
Sorry, I'll put my tinfoil hat next time I'll update my devices. You can never be too careful.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 03:01 PM   #45
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Sorry, I'll put my tinfoil hat next time I'll update my devices. You can never be too careful.
So your original
Quote:
I don't understand
comment was not sincere.

Maybe you missed:
Quote:
I've seen updates remove features, degrade usability, add bugs or reduce performance.
Many people have experienced all those problems. Avoiding the bleeding edge is not a character flaw, especially considering amazon's history of seriously bungled updates.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote