Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2023, 09:49 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Thank you!
At least not yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 12:37 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
At least not yet.
Do you know something that the rest of us don't about Amazon's future plans?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2023, 09:42 AM   #18
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I'm not crazy, right? Those icons used to be just one line? At least for the 2019 basic.
image link I'm not on my PC and Tapatalk won't play nice.

Last edited by hleo12; 10-30-2023 at 09:49 AM.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:05 AM   #19
dedeca
Enthusiast
dedeca is on a distinguished road

Device: PW3 and PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I'm not crazy, right? Those icons used to be just one line? At least for the 2019 basic.
image link I'm not on my PC and Tapatalk won't play nice.
Ew, it looks uglier than it already was.
Maybe they're getting ready to add new icons (shortcuts?)?
dedeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:06 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedeca View Post
Ew, it looks uglier than it already was.
Maybe they're getting ready to add new icons (shortcuts?)?
The 11th generation basic Kindle has same size for quick settings but an additional icon for Dark Mode. I doubt there's anything else to add for the older one.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2023, 09:02 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Do you know something that the rest of us don't about Amazon's future plans?
You never know what Amazon are planning. I can easily see the PW5 becoming MTP.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:54 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You never know what Amazon are planning. I can easily see the PW5 becoming MTP.
Yes, and the 11th gen Kindle basic as well. Basically all the USB-C Kindles, and any new ones going forward.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:11 PM   #23
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The 11th generation basic Kindle has same size for quick settings but an additional icon for Dark Mode. I doubt there's anything else to add for the older one.
If they can somehow add dark mode on the 2019 basic I would take how ugly the icons look right now.

Is there any hardware limitation for it not to have dark mode?
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:20 PM   #24
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, and the 11th gen Kindle basic as well. Basically all the USB-C Kindles, and any new ones going forward.
Why only USB-C, why couldn't they add it to all supported kindles or possibly unsupported kindles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Is there any hardware limitation for it not to have dark mode?
If I recall correctly from when Kindles first got dark mode Amazon's implementation required specific HW.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 12:57 AM   #25
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
If I recall correctly from when Kindles first got dark mode Amazon's implementation required specific HW.
Yes, there are HW limitation to having it *work well* (namely, dedicated waveform modes, and sensible handling of flashes).

Having it look like crap is pretty easy, on the other hand.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 01:28 AM   #26
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Mine has two lines and think that's pretty normal - don't think mine has updated
My second line is Sync and All Settings, top three are airplane, bluetooth and dark mode
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 09:43 AM   #27
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Yeah, I have a 10th gen basic on an older firmware where it's one line.

My assumption is they went to two lines because they're adding a fifth icon at some point. But in the interim it'd look less bad if there were two icons on each line
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 02:45 PM   #28
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Trying to upgrade PW 11 gen to 5.16.4

I have always downloaded and installed updates manually to my PW 11th generation. I have 5.16.3.1 on it now. Never had an issue.

It will not take the new update, 5.16.4 either by the MTP Android protocol software or by dropping the file in the root of the Kindle. I get an error either way.

Currently my Kindle still shows on my Mac as a separate drive.

Amazon help solutions are worthless.

Any suggestons?

UPDATE: I was trying to install the wrong version of 5.16.4. All is well now that I downloaded and installed the correct one.

Last edited by solitarywolf; 10-31-2023 at 03:40 PM. Reason: UPDATE
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 03:20 PM   #29
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I was trying to install the wrong version of 5.16.4. All is well now that I downloaded and installed the correct one.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 03:21 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
I have always downloaded and installed updates manually to my PW 11th generation. I have 5.16.3.1 on it now. Never had an issue.

It will not take the new update, 5.16.4 either by the MTP Android protocol software or by dropping the file in the root of the Kindle. I get an error either way.

Currently my Kindle still shows on my Mac as a separate drive.

Amazon help solutions are worthless.

Any suggestons?
Restart the Kindle and try again.