Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-01-2022, 04:52 AM   #1
absalom
absalom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unable to use cloud storage (KOReader on Kindle)

I installed KOReader on my freshly jailbroken Kindle Voyage yesterday; everything is working fine, but strangely I can't make work the three dropbox/ftp/webdav services.

For each of them, I get

Quote:
cannot fetch list of folder contents
Please check your configuration or network connection
My WIFI works since I have no issue with Wallabag. I spent much time on configuring the three services and I am pretty sure everything is absolutely fine. The FTP server is FTP (and not SFTP); the webdav server works very well from command line with curl; the dropbox token was inserted in the settings with a text editor. I have been spending hours trying everything, but... no way.
absalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:18 AM   #2
absalom

I installed koreader on an Android phone and encountered the very same issues; finally installed koreader on a Linux desktop and now cloud services seem to work. I tried two different webdav servers and they work with no issue. But with the very same settings, it doesn't work on my Android phone and on my Kindle Voyage.

Maybe some additional software is required?
Advert
Old 05-02-2022, 05:30 AM   #3
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
You don't need additional software. The same code is executed on every supported platform and should work the same.

But, of course, YMMV.
Currently that chunk of code is a bit of a hot potato and verbose logs are not that useful to know what happens under the hood.

So, until somebody does a proper refactor that makes error reporting somewhat descriptive, your best bet is trying to know what happens inside the "run" function on each cloud type. It should return an array with results, it does not and hence you receive
"cannot fetch list of folder contents..."
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:57 AM   #4
absalom

Thank you for your reply; I have to say that I tested the very same version (latest) on Linux desktop (cloudstorage works) and on my Kindle (cloudstorage does not work for any service). The fact that no service works on the Kindle (dropbox, ftp, webdav) lets me think that the issue isn't related to some specific part of the code but to something that could be device-related.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:12 AM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Network handling is device dependant but you don't seem to have problems with other stuff that requires connectivity, like wallabag, even if/when you perform an action that requires a network service and the network interface is currently down.

I'm afraid you will need to figure out what happens with https://github.com/koreader/koreader....lua#L142-L183 on your devices.
Advert
Old 05-02-2022, 12:11 PM   #6
absalom

I see. And what about the fact that none of the three services (dropbox, ftp, webdav) work on both devices (kindle and android phone)? It seems very unlikely that the issue comes from protocol-specific parts; would it mean that the issue is in some common cloudstorage part?
Old 05-02-2022, 12:46 PM   #7
absalom

I see that here is a line:

Code:
logger.err("CloudStorage:", e)
just before displaying the error message on the UI:

https://github.com/koreader/koreader...orage.lua#L175

Where can I find the log file? Regards?
Old 05-02-2022, 01:37 PM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by absalom View Post
Where can I find the log file?
In the bug report template and also here:

Code:
* `/mnt/private/koreader` for Cervantes
* `koreader/` directory for Kindle
* `.adds/koreader/` directory for Kobo
* `applications/koreader/` directory for Pocketbook

Android logs are kept in memory. Please go to Help → Bug Report to save these logs to a file.
Quote:
I see that here is a line:

Code:
logger.err("CloudStorage:", e)
just before displaying the error message on the UI:

https://github.com/koreader/koreader...orage.lua#L175
That assumes that the FTP/Webdav/Dropbox:run function returns a significative error to triage the issue.

Quote:
I see. And what about the fact that none of the three services (dropbox, ftp, webdav) work on both devices (kindle and android phone)? It seems very unlikely that the issue comes from protocol-specific parts; would it mean that the issue is in some common cloudstorage part?
Good question. Most likely network shenanigans happening here.

We need answers as this feature doesn't receive much love from KO contributors and it's not used at all by active maintainers.

Do you receive the same error message if you disable network connectivity on your linux device?
Do you receive the same error message if you have your network interface enabled at the time of clicking on your cloud account?
Old 05-02-2022, 01:56 PM   #9
absalom

Most Cloudstorage errors are logged with an empty string as:

Code:
05/02/22-19:02:01 ERROR CloudStorage:
but some are reported as

Code:
05/02/22-19:46:47 ERROR CloudStorage: 500 'EPSV': command unrecognized.
Since EPSV seems to be FTP-related, I assume that the first ones were triggered for some Webdav servers and the second ones for an FTP server.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:59 PM   #10
absalom

Actually, the FTP doesn't work on my Linux desktop koreader either (didn't try it previously, but just did it right now as a double check).

Thus, what I can tell is that the webdav servers (two different were tried) work on Linux but not on Kindle (or Android). The crash.log above displays an empty error message in the crash.log for the webdav servers.