Notices

Old 01-02-2022, 02:08 PM   #1
BrianHayesMusic
Brian
BrianHayesMusic doesn't litterBrianHayesMusic doesn't litter

Device: none
(Unique?) conversion challenge

Hello,

I've already published my paperback on B&N Press with no issues. However, the file conversion required to publish the eBook version is proving to be a challenge.

Here's the situation:

I'm publishing a book of classical guitar arrangements. In other words, these are musical scores so the only text in my entire document are: 1) Contents page 2) About page and 3) Copyright page. The cover is an image so it can be converted to anything but the bulk of the content was created using a program called Finale. Finale files are musical scores (with some text) that can only be exported as a PDF, via the Adobe printer driver. Converting a PDF of this type into eBook format for Amazon Kindle was easy, since they have the Kindle Kids Book Creator available which converts my PDF into a MOBI file in the blink of an eye with perfect results.

I first attempted to try my conversion from PDF to EPUB using a software called Calibre which turned out to be a disaster. Other avenues were also fails with varying results. Using the "Export to" feature in Adobe Acrobat Pro and exporting to Microsoft Word actually almost worked, but, alas, it still defiled my scores, somewhat, so it was also a no-go.

Do any of you have any suggestion on this or have you faced any other scenarios that sound anything at all like what I'm dealing with here?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Brian Hayes
BrianHayesMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:49 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For anyone who is interested the original thread is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344129

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2022, 11:42 PM   #3
BrianHayesMusic
Brian

BetterRed,

I followed davidfor's suggestion by positing my query, here, but it looks like there's a lack of response. I wish I could go back to my original thread. It was so easy creating an eBook using my current file with KDP and Lulu, I can't figure our why it's so tough here?
Old 01-03-2022, 12:07 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just give it time

Old 01-03-2022, 12:34 AM   #5
BrianHayesMusic
Brian

OK, will do, thanks, Peter!
Advert
Old 01-03-2022, 01:24 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHayesMusic View Post
BetterRed,

I followed davidfor's suggestion by positing my query, here, but it looks like there's a lack of response. I wish I could go back to my original thread. It was so easy creating an eBook using my current file with KDP and Lulu, I can't figure our why it's so tough here?
Suggest you read Guideline #3.

Having multiple threads running on the same issue from the same person in different forums is almost guaranteed to irritate responders

But I'm puzzled, if it's easy to create an eBook with KDP and Lulu from what you already have then what is the problem are we trying to solve.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:29 AM   #7
BrianHayesMusic
Brian

BR,

I would just like to publish an eBook through B&N as well. I was just saying that my file was easy to upload to those other platforms. For some reason, this PDF to EPUB thing is difficult.

As far as Guideline#3, I'm sorry if I caused a problem, there. Davidfor suggested that I try my query, here, and apparently I didn't understand how to go about that in the proper way.

Last edited by BrianHayesMusic; 01-03-2022 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:39 AM   #8
BrianHayesMusic
Brian

Is the reason why it was so easy, before, due to the fact that KDP and Lulu allow for a Fixed-Layout Ebook format?
Old 01-03-2022, 09:39 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

The Epub you'll need to create is one that simply contains a series of images of each of the musical scores. This is more than likely what the Mobi conversion has done.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:03 AM   #10
BrianHayesMusic
Brian

PeterT,

Yeah, from what I was reading, this may be referred to as a Fixed-Layout Ebook format? And strangely, Lulu accepted a PDF to upload for their eBook.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:29 AM   #11
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
You used an Amazon tool to create an ebook for the Amazon ecosystem.
It would make sense to use a B&N tool to create an ebook for the B&N ecosystem.
The magic word for fixed-layout at B&N is "PagePerfect". That should probably get you on the right track, you may not need to deal with epub at all.
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:55 PM   #12
BrianHayesMusic
Brian

jmurphy,

Thank you for your response. I've been looking for something like this. In my research, last night, I ran across something called "Kids ePIB" that seemed to be the equivalent of Kindle Kids Book Creator. I don't know where to look for these tools, however. I try not to expect the folks here to do the work for me but I Googled both of these tools by name in addition to searching the B&N site under Author Tools and Tips and Self Publishing Services and there's nothing. How well-hidden is this tool you're referencing, here? If you have a link, that would be fantastic. Thank you, again.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:15 PM   #13
BrianHayesMusic
Brian

jmurphy,

Thank you for your response. I’ve been searching for something like this. Last night, I read an article that mentioned “Kids ePIB” which sounded like it could be somewhat equivalent to Kindle kids book creator. I searched all of Google, though, for this tool and the one you suggested, here, with no results. I also went to B&N Author Resources and looked under Author Tools and Tips and Self Publishing Services with nothing there, either. I don’t want to expect the folks here to do the work for me but just how hard is it to find this tool that you're referencing, here? A link would be awesome. Thank you, again.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I suspect jmurphy's suggestion of PagePerfect is your best bet if you can find it, but short of that, you can use calibre to convert amazon formats to EPUB. kindleunpack can also be used to do the conversion. I use kindleunpack from the command line, but it is also available as a calibre plugin
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:47 PM   #15
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Sorry, Brian. All I know is that PagePerfect is a thing. That appears to be the name of the format, not the name of the tool. Does B&N have support forums, or a method of opening a ticket? Other than that I'm out of ideas, sorry.
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote