Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2019, 02:25 AM   #271
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Require PIN only if going from off to power-on, not when going from sleep to wake

Dear geek1011,
I have another suggestion.

Please give us option to have "PIN required to unlock Kobo" just for going from Power-Off to Power-On, while not requiring the PIN if just going from Sleep to Awake.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:22 AM   #272
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One image screensaver when asleep; the same image, but inverse, when powered off

I have another suggestion:

I followed DavidFor's instructions on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...95&postcount=1 (titled Random Screensaver) to create an "Owner's Info" message, in case my Forma gets misplaced.

Here is what I kinda have (I've anonymized my contact details):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1567667753

I'd like an option to display one image screensaver when device is sleeping and the inverse image (black background, white text) to display when device is powered off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	size47font_a.png
Views:	409
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	173258  

Last edited by droopy; 09-05-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #273
droopy
Guru

Suggestion: After the initial USB-conmected installation of the tgz, let us enable or disable patches on the Kobo device itself, without needing to USB-connect to a computer

Last edited by droopy; 09-05-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #274
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Dear geek1011,

Please give us option to have "PIN required to unlock Kobo" just for going from Power-Off to Power-On, while not requiring the PIN if just going from Sleep to Awake.
That might be possible. I'll need to have another look at the code. I'll look at it in a week or two (I'm currently taking a break from Kobo stuff).

Quote:
I have another suggestion:

I followed DavidFor's instructions on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...95&postcount=1 (titled Random Screensaver) to create an "Owner's Info" message, in case my Forma gets misplaced.

Here is what I kinda have (I've anonymized my contact details):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1567667753

I'd like an option to display one image screensaver when device is sleeping and the inverse image (black background, white text) to display when device is powered off.
That won't be possible, as the code is shared, and there isn't enough room to easily add enough extra instructions.

Quote:
Suggestion: After the initial USB-conmected installation of the patch, let us enable or disable patches on the Kobo device itself, without needing to USB-connect to a computer
That is a whole separate project. If someone wants to work on it, they can.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #275
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
That won't be possible, as the code is shared, and there isn't enough room to easily add enough extra instructions.
Thanks for your reply.
What do you mean that the code is shared? Shared with other devs like you?
And what do you mean there's isn't enough room? I take it you are not referring to the 8GB of user space?
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #276
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
What do you mean that the code is shared? Shared with other devs like you?
And what do you mean there's isn't enough room? I take it you are not referring to the 8GB of user space?
The assembly instructions are shared between both power-off modes. To make changes, I usually replace existing instructions, put instructions in unused space in the binary, or shrink existing instructions to make space. If you look in some of the older patch threads (and earlier on this thread), you should get a general idea of what I mean.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #277
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Patches are exactly that. They replace existing bytes in programs by other bytes. They can't make the programs any larger than they are.

The skill of creating patches is in decompiling the programs, not back to their original language (which was probably C or C++) but to assembly language, and then seeing how to affect the functionality by changing the assembly code and then replacing the original bytes (the op codes) by different opcodes.

Some patches are to the data; strings of characters which in somes cases are stored in compressed format in the compiled modules

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #278
droopy
Guru

thanks to all who have helped me learn about patching.

Some multi-author ebooks separate the authors with the ampersand symbol (&). In Kobo Forma's listing of authors, it doesn't work very well.
Say I have a book written by Ashley Galloway and Mark Bentham. In my Forma, it will show up under Bentham, but not under Galloway.
This "author entry" will situate itself somewhere like this:
Code:
Lisa Bastke
Ashley Galloway & Mark Bentham
Christopher Browning
I have to edit the author metadata from
Code:
Ashley Galloway & Mark Bentham
to
Code:
Ashley Galloway, Mark Bentham
Forma interprets the comma symbol correctly.
When I make this change, the book will now correctly appear both under Galloway and Bentham.

Questions: Is there a patch to make my Forma correctly interpret the ampersand symbol?
How do you deal with multiauthored books with the ampersand symbol?

Last edited by droopy; 09-10-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #279
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Questions: Is there a patch to make my Forma correctly interpret the ampersand symbol?
How do you deal with multiauthored books with the ampersand symbol?
You go to calibre Preferences > Metadata plugboards and add a new plugboard for your calibre driver,
e.g. if you're using the KoboTouchExtended driver:

Format: any format
Device: KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED
Source template:
Code:
program: raw_list('authors', ', ')
Destination field: authors
Then Save plugboard

This plugboard will then auto-replace the ampersand with the comma whenever the Author metadata is updated on the Kobo.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #280
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You go to calibre Preferences > Metadata plugboards and add a new plugboard for your calibre driver,
e.g. if you're using the KoboTouchExtended driver:

Format: any format
Device: KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED
Source template:
Code:
program: raw_list('authors', ', ')
Destination field: authors
Then Save plugboard

This plugboard will then auto-replace the ampersand with the comma whenever the Author metadata is updated on the Kobo.

Thanks, Jackie, for your reply, and for writing in such a way that a noob like me can easily follow.

Here's a screenshot of how my Metadata plugins window looks like now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-09-06 15-07-03.png
Views:	400
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	173295  
Old 09-06-2019, 06:31 PM   #281
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You're welcome Are your authors now correct after you've done a full calibre connect/disconnect?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #282
asettico
asettico began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Hello,
I have a request on behalf of my wife.

Is it possible to show the collection name in the book list, beside or under the author name?
In this way it's possible to quickly check if a book already is in a collection or not.

Thank you.
asettico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #283
droopy
Guru

Quote:
You're welcome Are your authors now correct after you've done a full calibre connect/disconnect?
Before getting your response, I manually fixed my authors. I guess we'll have to wait till I add another set of books.

Last edited by droopy; 09-13-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #284
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Dear Geek1011, don't know whether it's possible, but I like the existing header and footer arrangement on my Forma, once patched to reduce some of the marginal space, and don't like the introduction of the new arrangement (chapter progress on top, book progress on bottom) of the latest software. If a patch is possible to keep the prior layout, I would (once again) be in your debt. Thanks.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #285
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Hi Jackie.

I have just uploaded some co-authored books separated with the ampersand symbol. Happily, they are auto-changed to commas in my Kobo.
I noted that on my Calibre, the ampersand symbol stays as ampersand symbol.
Thanks!

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests