Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-31-2021, 01:54 PM   #76
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Vanilla Calibre: (out of control) Comments is probably the biggest per book consumer,. IMHO Clean (edit) them of all the extra cr*p. IMHO: comments is for a synopsis. I also trim stuff like "New York Times Best Selling....
Tell me about the STORY, not the Author nor a sample chapter (yes, there are quite a few that way)

Clean your tags. You are using Calibre. You don't need every permutation of a tag.

Calibre w/Custom Columns :
Yep they all eat more bytes.
Ask yourself if a saved search could give you what you need instead of Custom columns calculated from other stuff. (Or simply, 'Do I really need to see this' )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #77
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
You have some good points - re: cleaning up the crap you don't need.

e.g., I have 3 tags per book: One from "Fiction|Nonfiction", one from "Novel|Omnibus|ShortStory" and one from Genre (many different possibilities there).

The first one is quite useless - I just calculated the numbers and my collection is 99.4% fiction.

The next category regarding length of the book (novel vs. shortstory vs onmibus) is a distinction that, so far, I have never used to select my next book to read.

Genre is important, however.

I have two other tags that optionally appear. One is "read" to flag books that I have already completed, and "audiobook" to flag those. I don't have any audiobook-only entries in Calibre, it's always an eBook with an optional audiobook alongside that.

My tags are - mostly - useless. Except for Genre.

Other books - textbooks, reference books, travel guides, history books, things like that - are kept in a separate Calibre library away from my novels library.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2021, 07:48 PM   #78
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Remember Tags, Authors, Publisher, Series (name) are all
Relational Lookup tables. (the words). Each book just gets Index Numbers (integer) that line up. So a really long series name uses no additional space for 20 book that a short name because the book only gets the Index

OTOH a similar Custom column has additional (brilliant) hoops to do the same, so not quite as lean.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:25 PM   #79
kenmac999
kenmac999 began at the beginning.

Device: FBReader running on Android phone(s), Chromebook, Kindle Fire 7
I am now up to 2141 books in my main (Master) library consisting of 10,130 items, totaling 8.8 GB. This Library holds everything (actual ebooks, placeholders for most of my physical books, placeholders for my audiobooks). Its metadata.db file is only 9.1 MB. I also maintain separate libraries for my physical books and audiobooks. My physical books library stores the book's general location in a text custom column. I do have custom columns for Genre, Location, Page count, word count, and tracking what I am currently reading; still need to read; and have read that I sync to Goodreads. I also have a custom column that combines location with formats so I can at a glance see when I have physical, audio, and ebook copies of a title.

My separate Audiobook Library has 712 entries for the mp3/flac files making up the 125 audiobooks in it (an average of 5 mp3/flac files per book). It consists of 2,829 items, totaling 27.6 GB. Its metadata.db file is only 2.7 MB.

So I guess the "size" of your library depends on what measurement you are looking at.
kenmac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, library size