Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
ryanbhuvam
Banned
ryanbhuvam began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
OverDrive loans and email notifications

Is there any way to disable the email notifications you get whenever checked out books from OverDrive are about to expire, or the letters on your Kindle you automatically receive when your loans have ended?

I've tried looking through the settings on OverDrive and on my Kindle and for the life of me, I can't find any option anywhere to disable them completely. It's a very minor, but consistent annoyance.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-28-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spam links removed
ryanbhuvam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbhuvam View Post
Is there any way to disable the email notifications you get whenever checked out books from OverDrive are about to expire, or the letters on your Kindle you automatically receive when your loans have ended?
I only get email notifications when a book I suggested is purchased or when a hold is available/automatically checked out. They don't send me notifications of pending expirations. I have my loan period set at 7 days for both of my libraries so not sure if that is a factor. Also I normally get the epub version. Maybe is a Kindle thing?
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I only get the "your book has automatically been borrowed" notifications. I don't remember if I set things up this way way back when, or if this is simply the default. I don't get any other emails from Overdrive. When you think about it, an "about to expire" notification is basically useless since they'll be automatically returning the book to the library when it expires. Maybe they're prompting you to recheck out the book in case you haven't finished it? But whatever the reason, I never see such notifications myself.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I get expiry warnings from Amazon for public library books I've borrowed. I can find no way to stop them in the Email Preference area of my Amazon account.

There is also no place in my public library account settings for these emails. I just delete them.

There is no way to stop the "letters" that go to your Kindle either. I also just delete them without much thought.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:36 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
You could return the book before it expires to avoid both email and notification on Kindle. Book just gets deleted on next sync without notice, IIRC.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I only get email notifications when a book I suggested is purchased or when a hold is available/automatically checked out. They don't send me notifications of pending expirations. I have my loan period set at 7 days for both of my libraries so not sure if that is a factor. Also I normally get the epub version. Maybe is a Kindle thing?
I don't get expiration notices either - must be just a Kindle thing.

EDIT - I clicked on this thread from the General forum, replied, and just noticed the thread had actually been moved to the Kindle forum. Apologies for the unnecessary post!

Last edited by 4691mls; 10-29-2018 at 09:54 AM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You could return the book before it expires to avoid both email and notification on Kindle. Book just gets deleted on next sync without notice, IIRC.
The Amazon ‘letter’ appears on all of the devices you had downloaded the book to, whenever you return a library book. Does not matter if you delete it yourself, or return it early.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I don't get expiration notices either - must be just a Kindle thing.

EDIT - I clicked on this thread from the General forum, replied, and just noticed the thread had actually been moved to the Kindle forum. Apologies for the unnecessary post!
It is a kindle thing. If you check out the kindle version, you get sent to Amazon for the final completion of the check-out, including which device to send it to.

The messages are generated as part of the buyer-seller message system in Amazon. I know that much, but not how to change settings for those types of messages.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
How does overdrive work? Europeans don't have overdrive libraries. The only places that have overdrive are restricted access like an american school or embassy.

If you are a member of an overdrive library can you borrow any book for free? Is there one big overdrive library, or does every overdrive library have its own collection of books?
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #10
IronChaim
Do-er, All of the Things
IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozza111 View Post
How does overdrive work? Europeans don't have overdrive libraries. The only places that have overdrive are restricted access like an american school or embassy.

If you are a member of an overdrive library can you borrow any book for free? Is there one big overdrive library, or does every overdrive library have its own collection of books?
Overdrive's the distributor and is not directly consumer facing. A library purchases books through Overdrive, and the related ecosystem - so each library has their own collection which does vary from another's. As a library patron, you would get the book for free (assuming your access to the library is free).

There are some public libraries in Europe that work with Overdrive, but not sure what they are and how widespread it is. Maybe check: https://www.overdrive.com/libraries

Note that the Kindle support mentioned in the thread is only available to US libraries (I'm not sure if there's any other stuff restricted to the US).

There are several other library distributors that work in this type of fashion - but I'm not sure what/who they are for all of Europe (or even country specific).
IronChaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
IronChaim
Do-er, All of the Things
IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
The messages are generated as part of the buyer-seller message system in Amazon. I know that much, but not how to change settings for those types of messages.
Last time I looked at the Kindle-overdrive feature (admittedly several months ago), I couldn't find much of any options available to the user - so it may just be something to endure (minor?) to get the books directly on your Kindle.
IronChaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
most UK public libraries use Overdrive and thus offer e-book loand but in epub format , not an any Kindle format, and amazon are not in the checkout/download loop at all
you read on overdrive or Libby apps or you checkout via Adobe Digital Editions to a PC
they also use Overdrive for audiobooks in MP3
any resident can join their local library ( postcode based) . once you have applied for and been issued with a physical library card and PIN, [ ID and proof of address required] you can use the Overdrive system
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #13
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
Is it a passcode that you can log in from home?
Yes I see that there are quite a few libraries in Britain.

In continental Europe the overdrive capable libraries are only in major cities. In Paris you have an American library. In Berlin you have the American embassy library.
I guess it doesn't make much sense for the other libraries since, I am guessing, overdrive only has English content.

Regarding epub. You could always strip the DRM from the eBook and convert it to azw3 or mobi in calibre.

Last edited by bozza111; 10-30-2018 at 03:12 PM.
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote