Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #511
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No, decent matte screens are FAR more accurate for photos.
It's the screen technology below that sets colour accuracy. Reflective vs matte of itself has nothing to do with quality, but eye strain as the reflections are at a different focus distance and break up the image. That's an ergonomic fact. Shiny is simply the cheapest finish and a cheap matte finish can blur the image slightly. Neither directly affects contrast, brightness or colour accuracy. It's true that glossy finish screens or photos look prettier at a glance. Hence glazing invented for traditional prints and glossy inkjet paper.

Zero travel keyboards and touch pads that can't be disabled are seriously tiring and slowing down for people writing lots.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #512
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Zero travel keyboards and touch pads that can't be disabled are seriously tiring and slowing down for people writing lots.
With current laptops, the touch pad can be disabled if you have a mouse active. You can also change the sensitivity of the track pad on current and older laptops.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #513
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With current laptops, the touch pad can be disabled if you have a mouse active. You can also change the sensitivity of the track pad on current and older laptops.
I've seen loads where the touch pad is in the device driver as a USB mouse (even a newish Win10 machine). In theory then you can turn that off by disabling in the Device Management, but then you need a real mouse to turn it on again if using the computer somewhere without space for a mouse. Especially in Win10 if there is no touch screen.

If the track/touch pad is using a suitable device driver, then in Linux or Windows you can either disable when typing (not reliable on either OS) or disable it entirely. SOME computers do have even a BIOS setting to automatically disable internal touchpad (even if it reports being a mouse, PS/2 or USB) if an external mouse is added. On my 2002 Dell that only works with a PS/2 mouse, not a USB mouse. I do have a USB mouse that works with a PS/2 adaptor for that (most now don't) for the rare occasions I need that laptop.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #514
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
No, decent matte screens are FAR more accurate for photos.
It's the screen technology below that sets colour accuracy. Reflective vs matte of itself has nothing to do with quality, but eye strain as the reflections are at a different focus distance and break up the image. That's an ergonomic fact. Shiny is simply the cheapest finish and a cheap matte finish can blur the image slightly. Neither directly affects contrast, brightness or colour accuracy. It's true that glossy finish screens or photos look prettier at a glance. Hence glazing invented for traditional prints and glossy inkjet paper.
That's interesting. The matte screens I've used have generally had poor contrast and color accuracy, but admittedly they weren't high-end laptops. I'll keep it in mind for when I need a new laptop (not for some years hopefully).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #515
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I've seen loads where the touch pad is in the device driver as a USB mouse (even a newish Win10 machine). In theory then you can turn that off by disabling in the Device Management, but then you need a real mouse to turn it on again if using the computer somewhere without space for a mouse. Especially in Win10 if there is no touch screen.

I'm guessing you could still turn it on in Win10. Do a Windows search for Device Manager, and use the keyboard to navigate around in device manager?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #516
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm guessing you could still turn it on in Win10. Do a Windows search for Device Manager, and use the keyboard to navigate around in device manager?
I've done it. It's much harder to do most things (and find them) on Win10 than on Win7 or XP. Been doing this stuff since Win3.0 and NT3.5
Also on previous Win7 & XP you only ever had to use Search for your own data files. The Menus & Icons made sense. XP original search was fine once you chased off the stupid dog and changed most of the defaults.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #517
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
The trackpad driver settings should have an option to disable itself when an external mouse is plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's interesting. The matte screens I've used have generally had poor contrast and color accuracy, but admittedly they weren't high-end laptops. I'll keep it in mind for when I need a new laptop (not for some years hopefully).
You can get high gamut matte display panels. They tend to be expensive extras since consumers tend to want shiny and cheap so you won't get the volume discount.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #518
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Back on topic, please.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:19 PM   #519
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Got it today, holy crap I loved it the minute I opened the box, the screen is a joy to look at. 2 hours reading The Monster Baru Cormorant today and it was effortless, such a comfortable reading experience. 97% battery after a couple of hours messing around with it. I find myself flicking through my library just to see the book covers blown up on the big screen.

Instant page turns, like nanoseconds, my first time using Kepubs so not sure if its that or the hardware or a bit of both, its great though. Likewise I thought Id be moving straight to the buttons for page turning but the capacitive screen is so responsive I find myself just flicking a finger at it.

I thought I was just going to lock it in portrait (which I did, landscape is useless to me) and turn off the accelerometer to lock it in right hand mode but wasn't expecting to be swapping from left to right hand so naturally straight away, its great, big boost to comfort levels being able to do that.

I love the orange light aswell, I could actually see myself using that to read in low light, I always found the Glo HDs light to be just as painful to look at as a smartphone in dark environments but with natural light at 100% Orange and light level at 30-50% its actually soothing to look at and read on, a big unexpected plus there.

Downsides:
-Fingerprint magnet, its covered in them, wipes clean easy though.

-The power button, hilariously bad, zero tactile feedback, have to press it way too hard, the swipe to unlock feature I had to remove in the config file just the icing on the sh*tcake.

-The buttons are a bit creaky and rattly, I would have liked them to be firmer and more clicky, I get the feeling they'll break in or bed down over time though.

Overall super happy with it, those are minor niggles I wont even notice in a few days. I was getting emotional saying goodbye to my Glo HD after all the books we'd read together but its too worn out to salvage, this is a more than worthy successor.
Does yours have the "band" on the screen on the handle/grip/button side?
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #520
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Does yours have the "band" on the screen on the handle/grip/button side?
I can kind of see it if I crank everything up but tbh it doesn't bother me, no idea why people make such a meal out of it.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:35 AM   #521
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
I can kind of see it if I crank everything up but tbh it doesn't bother me, no idea why people make such a meal out of it.
I guess it's a big deal when you're used to an e-reader with good even screen lighting? I know I never used to mind uneven lighting or even splotches or bands, but now that I've had lots of e-readers over the years I find myself getting more annoyed when a screen is less than perfect. Stupid perhaps, I know, but once I saw that an e-reader can actually have that perfect screen I wanted all manufacturers to make perfect screens and not to settle for less.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:45 AM   #522
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
I guess it's a big deal when you're used to an e-reader with good even screen lighting?
Nah. I got my Libra after my Oasis 3, which has more even frontlight. Still, I'm not bothered by the Libra screen. It's just that the perfect screen quest is a big deal for some people, and not for others. I don't mean it condescendingly; I have my own big deals - finding the perfect font, font size and line spacing for every reader I have. The screen lighting just isn't that important to me as it is to you and many others.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:22 AM   #523
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Nah. I got my Libra after my Oasis 3, which has more even frontlight. Still, I'm not bothered by the Libra screen. It's just that the perfect screen quest is a big deal for some people, and not for others. I don't mean it condescendingly; I have my own big deals - finding the perfect font, font size and line spacing for every reader I have. The screen lighting just isn't that important to me as it is to you and many others.
Oh yes, you have mentioned that before. I think you're right that it just depends on the person then.
Now I feel like a silly nitpicking person.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:33 AM   #524
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So the Oasis 3 has a great even light?
Non PWM also?
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:33 AM   #525
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
Oh yes, you have mentioned that before. I think you're right that it just depends on the person then.
Now I feel like a silly nitpicking person.
Well, MR is the forum for us nitpickers. There are other (far more boring) places for ordinary people. You're right at home here.