Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #241
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Your own interactions attest to that.
Quite true, unfortunately.

Something's gotta give on my part, obviously. I'm not willing to move just to keep the value of my Prime membership constant. I'm a big fan of Prime Video, but with the disappearance of my shipping benefit, it's literally the only perk of Prime left that I value.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #242
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
A couple of seat-of-the-pants guesses:
  • They're waiting to see if you're going to order anything else, so they can save on consolidating your orders. I can believe Amazon loses its shirt on multiple tiny orders where from the Prime member's POV, there's no reason not to hit "Buy" with every passing thought.
  • The farther into the sticks you are, the more Amazon is motivated to do some macro consolidation with orders being shipped to your general area. Fill up those trucks as much as possible, as far down the delivery line as possible. Not a problem in Manhattan.

So it's not that the item isn't ready to be shipped immediately, it's that Amazon saves money by pushing the delivery envelope while adhering to the letter of their commitment to get it to you two days after shipping.
Quote:
I think there have been a lot of indications that Amazon is looking more closely at its bottom line and trying to shave costs while increasing revenue. One glaring example is how people are increasingly frustrated with Amazon CS these days (no more so than with any other etailer) when the received wisdom used to be that Amazon went above and beyond. Your own interactions attest to that.
You said it, sister.
And if your guesses about DD's delay's are correct (and they seem reasonable) Amazon could have helped themselves quite a bit by just informing customers they are doing that. It could have been spun as much as necessary:

"Dear Valued Prime Member, in order to keep giving you the most value for your Prime membership...(etc etc, words that mean we need to cut shipping costs...) you may start to see certain Prime order ship in 1-2 days... (blah blah...maximum efficiency...sustainability...etc.)"

Last edited by ApK; 06-06-2018 at 02:27 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #243
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Just got the notification that the order shipped (Wed. 6/6). Seems to be the way of things for me right now: orders don't ship until two days after placing the order. That's where the delay is coming from. No matter what time I order, and no matter what the "availability" of the item is, it doesn't get to the carrier and get a tracking number for two whole days. The time it used to take to get to my door is being spent in limbo.

For whatever reason, there's an automatic, built-in, two-day delay on every order I place with Amazon. That's the nitty-gritty. And I can't get anyone on their end to acknowledge/understand the issue--let alone explain/fix it. Once it actually ships, it gets here in two days. But no one can tell me why an in-stock--fulfilled by Amazon--item isn't ready to be shipped immediately.
Hey, I'm sensing some déjà vu here
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #244
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Two-Day Prime Shipping Promo: "Get your packages exactly two days after some random point in the near future (seconds, minutes, or days--it's a surprise!) that we're not going to reveal to you."
Old 06-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #245
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
DiapDealer, when you have something in your cart, does it give a delivery date?

Sorry if you already answered this.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #246
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
DiapDealer, when you have something in your cart, does it give a delivery date?

Sorry if you already answered this.
Yes, it does. It gives me date of 4-5 days out for the Free Two-day shipping option--on everything I try to buy. Nothing I try to buy is predicted to be able to be delivered two days from the order date (like everything used to be). They're no longer even pretending I might actually get something delivered in two days.

So yes ... I know what I'm getting into before I buy now (which was not always the case previously), but that's little consolation (and even less compensation) for the sudden change in service with no explanation.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #247
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
That's pretty much what happened to me, but the order I placed yesterday didn't offer me no-rush shipping at all. This order included a couple of "add-on" items, and I wonder if that somehow made a difference.
It might have, I didn't have any add on items.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #248
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I have an unusual 2 day delivery coming from Amazon. The order was place on 6/3; the confirmation showed a delivery date of 6/13; received updated delivery date of 6/8!

The only option for delivery was for 2 day delivery; the updated delivery email even showed that the order had the 2 day delivery!

I'm thinking that the programmers at Amazon no longer test their code as it it "transparent" & modular. The thing is that I do notice many store websites have bad info or missing info so much that it is easier to shop at Amazon.

Saw a business special on Walmart on how Walmart "knows" what every store has in stock......not or no longer true.

Always thought that "truth in lending" should be applied to "truth in advertising"; but after seeing a video clip on Dr. Oz's testimony on stuff Oz was hawking, do not believe that would make any difference. In the Congressional hearing Oz tesitfied that what Oz stated about the product is false & not medically true or possible; but is OK to do so when selling a product. No outrage from any member of the Congressional committee.

So much for the guarantee delivery times.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #249
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Did someone see a bizzare nonsequiter go by?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:09 AM   #250
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
For as long as I have had Prime, I have almost always chosen the slow shipping. And Amazon has routinely waited till the last minute, and then shipped the item to me with two-day delivery.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #251
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I ordered two items separately last night and chose slow shipping and now I have to change it to two day shipping. They were accessories for a tablet I ordered from ebay that is shipping from Taiwan that I ordered about 6:00 PM last night. The tablet is supposed to be delivered on Monday June 11.

@DiapDealer - maybe you should order stuff from Taiwan and you'll get it quicker. ;-)
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #252
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I ordered an item yesterday the 6th and chose the no rush shipping with the digital credit. It is arriving tomorrow the 8th. Two day no rush???? I am not complaining.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #253
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes, it does. It gives me date of 4-5 days out for the Free Two-day shipping option--on everything I try to buy. Nothing I try to buy is predicted to be able to be delivered two days from the order date (like everything used to be). They're no longer even pretending I might actually get something delivered in two days.

So yes ... I know what I'm getting into before I buy now (which was not always the case previously), but that's little consolation (and even less compensation) for the sudden change in service with no explanation.
It "kinda" sounds like you are now being serviced from a different shipping location than perhaps you were before. I wonder just how much their shipping time estimates depend on how far you live from some mythical 'home' shipping location (or from the site where the order is placed?)
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #254
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
I don't have or use Prime. No need. I usually choose free shipping since I don't order things that I need in a hurry. What I have noticed is that most of those items listed sit around in a pile of orders somewhere, then ship 2 days before the scheduled arrival. Your wait is in the warehouse timing of shipping, not shipping itself.

We have too many of the same street names with tags - place, way, circle. Even the dogcatcher couldn't find the dog he was supposed to ticket but that was a right street number, but wrong street name. That made me check shipping every day.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #255
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
It "kinda" sounds like you are now being serviced from a different shipping location than perhaps you were before. I wonder just how much their shipping time estimates depend on how far you live from some mythical 'home' shipping location (or from the site where the order is placed?)
After doing some more sniffing around, I've discovered that one of the fulfillment centers nearest to me was structurally damaged by a severe storm several months ago. Some friends saw something on the local news about portions of the roof being torn off. That more than likely has something to do with it. I'm just wondering if it will be repaired and things will eventually get back to "normal." Or if it will be easier to write it all off as a loss and this IS the new normal. Of course, I'm hoping for the former, but I'm not holding my breath.