Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
bunkie68
bunkie68 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Calibre won't launch

I launched Calibre today. I was notified of an update, so I updated. I re-opened Calibre, and it wouldn't recognize my Kindle. I researched that, checked the debug log, and saw that it didn't appear to be recognizing storage space on the Kindle. Restarted computer and Kindle, Calibre recognized the Kindle - and then it shut down. Just disappeared.

I restarted Calibre. It started to launch, then disappeared again. I uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre. Tried to launch again, it disappeared again. I can't even get it open, much less see if it will recognize my Kindle.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to fix this? I'm trying to run Calibre on Windows 8, and that hasn't changed. Thanks for any insights you can give.

Lisa
bunkie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Your symptoms are typical of faulty Anti-Malware/Anti-Virus software.

I suggest that you first unintall the current calibre and reinstall the previous version that worked. If that runs OK you should then:
  1. download a new copy of the current version of calibre
  2. disconnect from the Internet
  3. disable all AntiMalware and AntiVirus software. With some products this will require that you totally uninstall them.
  4. run the calibre installer to upgrade and then test it
  5. if calibre worked OK, the re-enable or reinstall you AntiMalware and/or AntiVirus software and retest calibre. If it now fails it is proof that your AntiMalware and/or AntiVirus apps have mistaken calibre for malware.

BTW, I would highly recommend that you upgrade your Windows 8 installation. If you want to avoid Windows10, fine. Upgrade to Win 8.1 instead.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert