Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
adireader
adireader began at the beginning.

Device: android
Calibre Companion for desktops

Hi,

I was wondering if there is something similar to Calibre Companion for non-mobile devices.

I already have my library synced with my dropbox account and I'd like to be able to quickly view my library and download books from a browser on a laptop.

I know I can install the full calibre client and have it sync with dropbox, but I would rather not download my entire library, and I would prefer something read-only.

The new content server in calibre is awesome, but requires that I have my media server running full time. Something like the content server/calibre companion that can read from my dropbox account is what I'm looking for.

Any ideas?
adireader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sorry, but I don't know of any solution. Microsoft started a project a few years ago wherein they would run Android apps on Windows, but they cancelled it. As fas as I know there are no calibre "connection" apps available for any OS other than Android and iOS.

If you are running windows then reader apps such as Freda can (I think) use the calibre content server. No guarantees.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2018, 04:26 AM   #3
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you are running windows then reader apps such as Freda can (I think) use the calibre content server. No guarantees.
If you've got Calibre set up to store your book files on Dropbox or OneDrive, then you'll be able to access the book files on Dropbox/OneDrive by just using a file explorer to navigate through the folders to find the book you want, then clicking on it to open using the book reader program of your choice. Apps such as Freda can make this a bit smoother, because they have built-in connectivity to Dropbox and OneDrive.

But Freda does not know how to read the Calibre database file, so it would not be able to find books by title, author etc. - you would need to poke around the folder structure yourself, to find the book you wanted.

The Freda 'TO DO' list for future development does include enhancing it be able to read the Calibre database; it is an SQLite database so this is possible in principle using the .Net programming environment (though with the latest version, Oreo, of Android I think it may pose some challenges). If there is a lot of demand for the feature, I will push it up the 'TO DO' list :-)

Last edited by Jim Chapman; 01-11-2018 at 04:29 AM.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
peekpoke
Enthusiast
peekpoke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Android
What about BlueStacks to run the Android version of CC on a desktop PC?

http://www.bluestacks.com
peekpoke is offline   Reply With Quote