Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-18-2021, 12:14 AM   #916
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Stupid app. I had a biking app I liked. I had 6 years of bike rides on it. Apparently, the app is no longer supported, which happened some time ago and I was unaware of. The other day, I wanted to check my email, so I went to settings->account settings and it asked me to login. Since they shutdown their server, I cannot login, and there doesn't appear to be a work around.

Know the feeling, but with me it wasn't the service provider that shut down the server, it was the NSA.

The Moscow HRW agent published Edward Snowden's Lavabit email address on her FB page shortly after he arrived there. Couple of days later it was echoed by the UK Telegraph, and that was picked up by US Senate hawks who told Obama to shut it down.

The Senate hawks claimed it was an encrypted mail service, yeah sure - but only if you used something like PGP Ψ³

At the time it was my main email account. Even though Lavabit was an IMAP service, I had a copy of all the important stuff stored locally, so no great harm done. I reverted to my old hotmail account, i.e. the one I got from Sabeer Bhatia before he flogged it to MS - still using it

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-18-2021 at 12:26 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:00 AM   #917
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
rant: regular expressions
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #918
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
LOL, Regex Buddy is your friend.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #919
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Just like when my neighborhood grocery store changed its floor plan overnight ... after 20 years of sameness ... Bewildered customers asking strangers where the bread was shelved now ...
At work, I still get asked where the ice freezers are, they were moved during the renovation about 2 years ago. Or where the bank in the store that closed 5+ years ago is.
Or my personal favorite, some sort of delivery driver asking where he should go to pick up an order at our location in a neighboring town, I was tempted to say walk out to your car, drive to that location, and go inside and ask somebody.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #920
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I love messing with callers. The other day they called and told me my car warranty was expired. I told them I had a 1988 Yugo and for some reason they didn't want to extend my warranty. Hmm, wonder why.
S
LOL, my favorite is I get those all the freaking time, and I don't have a car.
Advert
Old 07-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #921
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
LOL, Regex Buddy is your friend.

Hitch
And it costs! But I have regex101.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:20 PM   #922
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
And it costs! But I have regex101.
Yabbut, you know, I've bought it for many folks that have worked here over the years, including yours truly. It's not godawful expensive, under $40, I believe, for a single-user license.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:11 AM   #923
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Sadly, I'm in Canada. And PayPal's conversion rates are abysmal.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:59 AM   #924
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
With a post like that I imagine you are familiar with the Jamie Zawinksi quote: Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.

Last edited by gmw; 07-20-2021 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typo - I can't be trusted.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:55 PM   #925
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebug View Post
A chap on TV years ago, claimed he had several metal fillings in his teeth,and under the right circumstances, he faintly heard 'ghost radio' in his head! He was generally considered a crank, but sometimes he 'heard a tune' turned on his radio, and it was playing that actual tune. Weird!
Didn't that happen to Lucile Ball too? I seem to recall seeing her on something talking about it.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #926
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Didn't that happen to Lucile Ball too? I seem to recall seeing her on something talking about it.
S
Yeah - on the Dick Cavett show

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:22 PM   #927
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
With a post like that I imagine you are familiar with the Jamie Zawinksi quote: Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
also this xkcd comic

Old 07-26-2021, 06:38 AM   #928
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Not sure if this is really a rant, given how much it amused me: In one of my throwaway gmail addys, there was a spam message saying they new one of my logins. That was all I saw in the line displayed without opening the message. I went through all the sites with stored logins for that address and it turns out that the one which got hacked was MySpace

Most of the sites where I use that account already had Bitwarden generated passwords, now they all do, and I've written off the MySpace account - the sense of loss is quite overwhelming
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:16 AM   #929
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

Wait, Myspace still exists?
Old 07-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #930
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Wait, Myspace still exists?
My reaction exactly
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote