Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #91
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Received my replacement and before updating I sideloaded a book to test this and it did NOT happen. I have since updated to 5.9.2 and so far I am not seeing this happen on the new unit. Very odd indeed that it would happen on some and not all units.
Hmm, I really do not want to exchange my Oasis as the screen is very close to perfect. No discernible gradient at all.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #92
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Hmm, I really do not want to exchange my Oasis as the screen is very close to perfect. No discernible gradient at all.
I wasn't recommending that...

I am sideloading in AZW3 format if that makes any difference.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That's what I do, too, and I have no problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #94
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
FYI- Pre-fab FONT_RAMP file for 300 dpi screens (PW3 and up)... for middle aged eyes . Removed smallest values and highest values and spread out the rest in smaller steps in the middle.
Pardon my ignorance, but is just for jail-broken Kindles? Sounds like a great contribution because there are some large steps in the Amazon fonts.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #95
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but is just for jail-broken Kindles? Sounds like a great contribution because there are some large steps in the Amazon fonts.

Jim
FONT_RAMP does not require jailbreak or patches.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=256969
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #96
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
I wasn't recommending that...

Ok, I’m not sideloading.
But if you do: why does the „finished downloaded“ show up at all?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #97
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Ok, I’m not sideloading.
But if you do: why does the „finished downloaded“ show up at all?
Sorry, you're right, of course; the "finished downloading" does of course only apply to downloaded content. The reason you see it even if you sideloaded books is that the Kindle still downloads things like dictionaries. I got a download of three new dictionaries a few days ago.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #98
beeblebrox
beeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2, Onyx i62HD Firefly
A question does a FONT_RAMP work on 5.9.2 firmware? I know that now it should contains 14 steps instead of 8. It seems simply does not any effect on my PW3.

What I am really interested in is a font size between standard 4 and 5 for Bookerly.
beeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #99
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox View Post
A question does a FONT_RAMP work on 5.9.2 firmware? I know that now it should contains 14 steps instead of 8. It seems simply does not any effect on my PW3.

What I am really interested in is a font size between standard 4 and 5 for Bookerly.
It works for me on both Oasis readers, one with 5.8.11 and one with 5.9.2. For reasons I don't understand, with the FONT_RAMP installed, some books require a setting of 5 and some are comfortable at 4. And this is using the Bookerly font, which I also prefer. Whatever, it's simple to configure.

Jim
Old 11-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #100
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox View Post

The books must be in AZW3 format, not mobi. Works on my Oasis 2 with the latest firmware.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #101
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It works for me on both Oasis readers, one with 5.8.11 and one with 5.9.2. For reasons I don't understand, with the FONT_RAMP installed, some books require a setting of 5 and some are comfortable at 4. And this is using the Bookerly font, which I also prefer. Whatever, it's simple to configure.

Jim
Possibly because the books themselves have different font sizes? All my books have the same size (manually edited) and I haven't noticed such a thing.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
For reasons I don't understand, with the FONT_RAMP installed, some books require a setting of 5 and some are comfortable at 4. And this is using the Bookerly font, which I also prefer.
It’s very simple. Font sizes on the Kindle are not “absolute” sizes, but a multiplier applied to the base font size specified in the book. Different books have different base font sizes, just as different printed books use different font sizes. Hence font size “4” in one book may not be the same as font size 4 in a different book. That’s the way it’s always worked, and it has nothing to do with FONT_RAMP.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #103
Strether
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It’s very simple. Font sizes on the Kindle are not “absolute” sizes, but a multiplier applied to the base font size specified in the book. Different books have different base font sizes, just as different printed books use different font sizes. Hence font size “4” in one book may not be the same as font size 4 in a different book. That’s the way it’s always worked, and it has nothing to do with FONT_RAMP.
But without FONT_RAMP the leap from font size 4 to font size 5 is too great to be comfortable so I just lived with font size 4. And now I don't have to, so I'm more aware of what the book brings for font size. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that publishers don't care if their font size is uncomfortable since they probably hope this will add to the discouragement of people reading ebooks.

Jim
Old 11-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #104
PluralPunk
PluralPunk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
FYI- Pre-fab FONT_RAMP file for 300 dpi screens (PW3 and up)... for middle aged eyes . Removed smallest values and highest values and spread out the rest in smaller steps in the middle.
Hi. Sorry for this question, I'm a new user. Where should I put this file in my Kindle?
PluralPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #105
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PluralPunk View Post
Hi. Sorry for this question, I'm a new user. Where should I put this file in my Kindle?
Put it in the main directory (not in the documents or in any other subfolder).