Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #151
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
AT&T is wrong. If you got the 16GB it's the same phone just wrong size in the storage department. It's 4G as well the 16GB version. It will work on their Network as long as it's GSM.

Perhaps they were talking ram? It has 2GB of ram. There is no 2G network that I know of.

Sent from my Nexus 7
There was a 2g network, but AT&T stopped supporting it at the end of last year and it was dino tech by that time. It really is inconceivable that a new model phone would be 2g. There's a failure of communication between Motorola and the majors on this front, clearly, and I don't know how the hapless customer resolves it.

It may be a blessing in disguise that the phone also didn't have the specified memory, as that made the return easy.

Last edited by issybird; 08-11-2017 at 07:18 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #152
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I would not raise other problems in this mail. Stick to just the problem with the phone, so only items 1-4 in your list.

Ignore the problem of the third-party accessory. Annoying to you, not Amazon's problem, IMO, since they would get you the right phone in the end, but you don't want it anymore.

State what resolution you do want. An apology? Compensation?
I can understand the frustration. OP bought the phone at price x and when they received the wrong item and tried to return it in a timely manner to get the right product they were charged for not returning it quickly and told that the price which they had paid would not be honored which is (IMO) morally if not legally wrong. I'd be upset too.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #153
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
P.S. I just saw a review at Amazon where someone's complaining about not being able to set up the phone on Verizon or Sprint.
Phones that work on AT&T do not work on Verizon or Sprint. That's why that person had trouble setting it up. It's not ever going to work with Verizon or Sprint.

The US is so far behind in cell phone technology than Europe that it's silly. Plus, prices for cell phone plans with data in the US are rather expensive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #154
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Phones that work on AT&T do not work on Verizon or Sprint. That's why that person had trouble setting it up. It's not ever going to work with Verizon or Sprint.
The phone is unlocked.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #155
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

The US is so far behind in cell phone technology than Europe that it's silly. Plus, prices for cell phone plans with data in the US are rather expensive.
It will work on Verizon. It may need some settings changes. It won't work on Verizon CDMA but they are now GSM. I know we both have Moto Es. Hubby is on Verizon because it's a Verizon phone but mine is on AT&T because Verizon 4G phones are unlocked.

Sprint I don't think has switched to GSM yet they are still in CDMA last time I checked.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #156
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There was a 2g network, but AT&T stopped supporting it at the end of last year and it was dino tech by that time. It really is inconceivable that a new model phone would be 2g. There's a failure of communication between Motorola and the majors on this front, clearly, and I don't know how the hapless customer resolves it.

It may be a blessing in disguise that the phone also didn't have the specified memory, as that made the return easy.
I've never seen it. 1x, 3G, or 4G are the speeds around here. I'm sure they stop making 2G phones a long time ago.

If I was Catlady I'd exchange it for the 32GB model then take my old phone and new phone to the AT&T store. They will have her up and running in no time. It's free and easy. I've done this with smart and dumb phones. My local store is within walking distance.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-11-2017, 07:50 PM   #157
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It will work on Verizon. It may need some settings changes. It won't work on Verizon CDMA but they are now GSM. I know we both have Moto Es. Hubby is on Verizon because it's a Verizon phone but mine is on AT&T because Verizon 4G phones are unlocked.

Sprint I don't think has switched to GSM yet they are still in CDMA last time I checked.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Maybe where that person lives, he's not able to get a Verizon 4G signal. That would be most likely. The problem the US has is multiple formats. All cell phone companies should scrap the old crap and go to current standards like the EU. It would make life so much easier.

TV is another example of stupidity. All TVs sold now handle at least 1080i. That's the format you get from your cable system for hi-def. All channels should be hi-def and if the customer still has a low-def TV, then all they need to get is a box that goes between the cable box and the TV to convert the hi-def signal to a low-def signal. Problem solved. Also, it would free up bandwidth so someday cable TV could move to 4K UHD. The cable box could handle dropping the 4K UHD signal to 1080i for older hi-res TVs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #158
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
This phone is touted as being compatible with Verizon and Sprint, as well as AT&T. That's supposed to be one of the good things about this phone--that it will work with all carriers.

I have been using a Moto E 1st generation phone with AT&T so I absolutely expected another in the Moto E line to work.

Maybe by tomorrow I'll decide to call Amazon again and ask for a replacement instead.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #159
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
This phone is touted as being compatible with Verizon and Sprint, as well as AT&T. That's supposed to be one of the good things about this phone--that it will work with all carriers.

I have been using a Moto E 1st generation phone with AT&T so I absolutely expected another in the Moto E line to work.

Maybe by tomorrow I'll decide to call Amazon again and ask for a replacement instead.
Do you have a AT&T store nearby? Once you get your replacement take your old phone and your new one and they will get you all set up.

No dealing with over the phone service representative who are clueless. I can say that. Hubby work as one for two weeks. It was comical as they don't do much training other then teach you the software they use which is a big search engine, wizards and forms.

The store repts are much more knowledgeable.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-12-2017, 01:42 AM   #160
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:

I wouldn't know about how expensive data plans for phones are myself. I use a tracfone from Safelink. I get a set # of minutes that carry over each month and haven't had any problems so far. Eventually I will need a new battery for this one (if they still make replacement batteries that is). lol. I've had it 5-6 yrs now and still use the original battery for it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #161
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I wouldn't know about how expensive data plans for phones are myself. I use a tracfone from Safelink. I get a set # of minutes that carry over each month and haven't had any problems so far. Eventually I will need a new battery for this one (if they still make replacement batteries that is). lol. I've had it 5-6 yrs now and still use the original battery for it.
Hubby uses a flip phone. We buy 1500 minutes every 180 days. Net10. They carry over. At the moment he has 14,000+ minutes.
I just have a smartphone from Straight Talk. $47 a month and I always have plenty of data.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #162
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I have last year's unlocked multi-network Moto G4 Play phone. Back when it was new, I remember seeing people complaining in online forums that Verizon didn't have it on their list. Apparently it takes Verizon a while to catch up.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #163
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update: I canceled the return, and asked Amazon instead to replace the 16gb with the 32gb version I ordered. When it arrives, I will go back to AT&T, buy the nano SIM they insist will not work, and see what happens. If it truly doesn't work, I will switch to another carrier--even though I lose the hefty rollover amount in my AT&T account. It's a prepaid plan and I only buy the minimum amount to keep the phone activated, which is still way more time than I need.

There are a few more reviews at Amazon now. A couple others are complaining that they could not activate the phone on Sprint or Verizon; there is one from a person who did activate it on AT&T, however, so I'm thinking AT&T is giving me a line of bull because my phone wasn't purchased through them.

Thank you for all input and for giving me the opportunity to vent.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #164
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Update: I canceled the return, and asked Amazon instead to replace the 16gb with the 32gb version I ordered. When it arrives, I will go back to AT&T, buy the nano SIM they insist will not work, and see what happens. If it truly doesn't work, I will switch to another carrier--even though I lose the hefty rollover amount in my AT&T account. It's a prepaid plan and I only buy the minimum amount to keep the phone activated, which is still way more time than I need.

There are a few more reviews at Amazon now. A couple others are complaining that they could not activate the phone on Sprint or Verizon; there is one from a person who did activate it on AT&T, however, so I'm thinking AT&T is giving me a line of bull because my phone wasn't purchased through them.

Thank you for all input and for giving me the opportunity to vent.
I switched cell service from AT&T years ago because they charged more for a single line with less data than a family of 4 could get.
Now due to being grandfathered on their internet, I do get a good deal there.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #165
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I switched cell service from AT&T years ago because they charged more for a single line with less data than a family of 4 could get.
Now due to being grandfathered on their internet, I do get a good deal there.
I have only the one line, and I pay a dirt-cheap rate--$25 every three months. Calls are 10 cents/minute; texts are 20 cents apiece. Unused account balance keeps rolling over. Obviously, I don't call or text much! I don't have a data plan; I use wifi.