Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-04-2017, 01:33 AM   #1
cionker
cionker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Oasis or PW or Voyage

It took me more than 24 hours to finally post this....... For fear of sounding silly.

Currently I own a defective PW2 - I can still read but after about 5 - 6 times "turning" the page the lettering at the bottom half has shadows (don't know the correct term). There is also a stripe down the center of the page. It does not bother me to the point that I don't read (I read at every chance I get and for hours at night).

However, I know I want to replace my Kindle with a new one. I have till the fall to finally make my decision (unless I cave and try to get one earlier). Reason being that I live in Indonesia where Amazon does not operate. I could get one in Singapore in two weeks.....

I read a lot - besides non-fiction (usually in book form), newspapers (online) and blogs (online), I read 2-3 books a week. Mostly fiction - almost any kind. We have no TV, netflix is not an option in Indonesia and using mobile internet is expensive to stream movies, so I need my books to "escape" or for entertainment.

Also I like to review pdf's and use pdf manuals on my Kindle (not so wonderful on my PW2 but works fine if I'm not in a hurry.

My questions is: is the Oasis really that fantastic (although there are quite a few negative reviews) or would the PW3 be sufficient. Or maybe splurge a little and get the Voyage?

I really need some input - I've never read so many reviews and watched so many YouTube reviews (well till my quota for June ran out) for any of my other gadgets.

Really wish there was a store somewhere in SEA that had these Kindles so I could touch them.

Any recommendations objective or subjective would be great.

Thanks
cionker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:49 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For PDF, an iPad is a much better choice. o 6" Reader is going to do all that well with PDF.

The Oasis is not fantastic. It's way overpriced and gives little in return. The Voyage costs less and gives you a much better value and the battery is normal and you have a choice of covers for the Voyage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Don't worry about sounding silly.

Take in all the advice from members here, but avoid ANYONE who tells you this:

[This one] is better than [that one].

Those are the silly ones.

Have fun!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-04-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Do you like the way your PW feels? If so, just get a new PW.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Having had both a PW and a Voyage, I'd recommend spending the little bit more and getting the Voyage.

I haven't held an Oasis, so I can't really comment about it in use. I haven't felt the need to buy one myself.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Ghosting is pretty much absent on all three models. The hardware is the same on all three models and PDF viewing will be the same. What the step up models to the PW give you is better build quality, a glossy screen and page turn buttons. Nobody can tell you how much you would value those improvements. I would recommend buying one of those models and returning it if you don't like it. I personally prefer the Voyage. I think it looks and feels like the true flagship to the Kindle line. But I find the PW easiest to hold due to the rubberized grip and extra thickness and bezel width.

Apologies for typos. This is written on my phone.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Don't worry about sounding silly.

Take in all the advice from members here, but avoid ANY ONE who tells you this:

[This one] is better than [that one].

Those are the silly ones.

Have fun!
Avoid opinions when asking for them? That's stupid. Maybe you meant to say avoid unsubstantiated opinions.

There is nothing wrong with having a clear preference and stating it with supporting reasoning.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm of the same opinion as pdurrant. I've owned both a Paperwhite (albeit it was a PW2) and a Voyage. So, in my case, the Voyage had a higher resolution screen than my PW. Now they both have the same higher resolution screen.

That being said, I find the form factor of the Voyage enough better than the PW that I would go with it again. It's just a little smaller and lighter, making it easier to hold and to slip in the side pocket of my purse. I also really like the haptic page turn buttons on the Voyage (I know some don't like these--and they can be disabled). But for me, I prefer them to actual buttons. And it's nice to be able to just give a slight press to turn the page without having to reposition my hand.

I've never had a Oasis, mainly because I'm very happy with my Voyage and haven't been tempted to upgrade.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Avoid opinions when asking for them? That's stupid. Maybe you meant to say avoid unsubstantiated opinions.

There is nothing wrong with having a clear preference and stating it with supporting reasoning.

Opinions are fine. Opinions are desired. But avoid anyone who states that one reader is better than another reader - and states it as fact.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Voyage and all three models of the Paperwhite. I use the Voyage more than the Paperwhites but I also use the 2 latest Paperwhites a lot. It generally amounts to using whichever device has the book that I've decided to read. If none does I usually pick the Voyage and put it on that.

The reasons I prefer the Voyage are 2: I like the power switch on the back and I like that it's smaller and lighter. Well, if I have to keep it in my pants pocket then that means using the Voyage, depending on which pants I'm wearing. It'll fit in all of my pockets. The Paperwhite will fit in about half of them, maybe a bit less than half.

For a long time I also preferred the flat bezel on the Voyage but little by little I've realized that the inset screen makes it easier to avoid accidental taps when my focus is on the book and I'm being a little careless. Now I think I prefer the recessed screen.

I have to say, though, that all of these are very small differences. Honestly I don't care a lot which one I'm reading with. If anything were to happen to my Voyage maybe I'd get another one. Maybe I wouldn't. I'm really not sure.

So, regardless of Dr Drib's advice I'm going to tell you which is the better reader. It's whichever one you feel like getting.

By the way, I've never owned or even seen an Oasis so I've left that out.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreeing with barryem.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:42 PM   #12
cionker
cionker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Thanks..... So far it seems the Voyage is the winner here. I was looking at both the Voyage and the Oasis.

I do like the PW but living in the tropics is something I have to consider. Everytime I bring a gadget (laptop, phone, camera) to get cleaned or repaired the first thing we see on opening up the machines is ants! Besides cats loving my keyboard on my Mac the ants seem to love it too.

Now I doubt that there are ants in my Kindle..... but the bezels are a great place for gunk to collect. It seems that the tropics are dustier than any other place on earth. So to avoid the traps on the edge of the screen is why I was considering the Voyage or the Oases.

Still have time till the fall.....

Any further input is still appreciated!
cionker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cionker View Post
Thanks..... So far it seems the Voyage is the winner here. I was looking at both the Voyage and the Oasis.

I do like the PW but living in the tropics is something I have to consider. Everytime I bring a gadget (laptop, phone, camera) to get cleaned or repaired the first thing we see on opening up the machines is ants! Besides cats loving my keyboard on my Mac the ants seem to love it too.

Now I doubt that there are ants in my Kindle..... but the bezels are a great place for gunk to collect. It seems that the tropics are dustier than any other place on earth. So to avoid the traps on the edge of the screen is why I was considering the Voyage or the Oases.

Still have time till the fall.....

As a desert rat, I think we are slightly dustier. So I can agree with you on the gunk.
Sounds like the Voyage would be best.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:11 AM   #14
bob_obo
Enthusiast
bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I've owned an Oasis and a Voyage since each were released, and I'm still not sure which I prefer.

The Oasis does feel better balanced for reading in one hand, but the Voyage (to me) feels like a better built device and feels nicer to hold two handed.

The Oasis has physical page turn buttons versus haptic feedback, which to me is a win for the Oasis.

Screens are pretty much of identical quality with both devices I received, although I replaced my first Voyage because the screen was uneven.

Oasis is more expensive, but then again it comes with a cover.

I find the Voyage looks nicer. The Oasis is misshapen and too skinny... just like me.

Last edited by bob_obo; 07-05-2017 at 05:16 AM.
bob_obo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #15
haydnfan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cionker View Post
Compressed air is effective at cleaning the corners, but yes on the Voyage I don't have to worry about that.

If you rest the corner of the Voyage in your palm you can rest your thumb right on the page turn button/sensor and then just gently squeeze when you want to turn the page. Do it that way and you will never accidentally turn the page or even have to re-position your hand.

It's funny that I initially didn't even like the Voyage and now it's my favorite Kindle.