Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-31-2017, 06:49 AM   #16
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ist View Post
2. Since it's android device – are you able to read (use) Kindle books (Kindle application) on it?
3. For how long, battery holds, assuming you turned off, everything unnecessary for reading? Does the screen turns off eventually (otherwise, the battery will run out)?
4. Are you able to read colored book on it? Now, I know it's a white and black screen – but, does the resolution and amount of shades of gray enough, or you turn on your tablet every time, you're reading a colored book? Say, a medical anatomy book?
Short:

2. Yes
3. Very long I have charged it only once so far
4. Yes, if could you provide a specific example I will send you back a picture so you can judge yourself.

Long:
2. I don't like this app UI but it work reasonably well. First experience was horrible so I thought the reply to this question will be NO. This device is very slow, it is only single core 1GHz cpu. While it is still a lot of computing power most apps today are developed and tested on much much faster cpu, at least dual core, typically I would say quad core 1.5 GHz. This lead to some occasional quirks where your app display "application is not responding, do you want to close it? WAIT, CLOSE". Kindle falls into this category. The first time I started it I saw black screen with Kindle logo and nothing happened, I taped a few times WAIT for the popup but eventually I let it CLOSE the app. I tried again, being patient, and another time and finally I got into a new screen where I logged into Amazon, but then again the experience was horrible until this stupid app finished downloading a ton of something and started to respond to my input. From this point the app works fine, quick enough. There was one more thing to change: every new app installed gets 3 enhancement options enabled by default. You can access them by long press on the app icon, and choosing from the menu "Apps Optimize Settings", you want to uncheck the option "Enable Contrast Enhance" for this app as it makes the fonts too crisp.

3. I connect it from time to time to my laptop which charge the battery. You know, recently I have been developing the app ReLaunchX. In addition the default settings of the device are screen lock timeout and power off timeout, so each night (and day..) the device power off itself.

4. I bet the shades representation are not linear. For me it looks ok for viewing colored books but if you really depend on differentiating certain shades (you mentioned medical usage) it may be the case that those shades will blend together with closer ones. I don't think the CARTA display is any better for that, these displays are not designed for medical or graphic design use.

Some additional rants:

The apps provided by Onyx are excellent and very fast on the device: OReader, Neo reader 2.0. Kudos for Onyx team for such good development.

The screen is really good. Given that I do not have to read 1 millimetre size font the resolution is good. Contrast ratio is also good. One catch is that web pages and modern android apps (android material design) like for example the Google Play store never use black fonts and avoid high contrast in the app in general. This makes them look washed-out on this ereader. I don't have any other ereader with Android so I cannot compare if it is typical. Kindle app also looks washed-out but once you open the book for reading it display the font with full contrast.

This initial effort to start a new app happens quite often. It looks to me that most of the apps do a lot of things when they are started for the first time. Then any consecutive start even after power off/power on is normal.

Occasionally there are some problems with visual feedback. You press a button in some app but it is not registered at all and nothing happens, the other time, you press a button two times still nothing happens but suddenly the action is done 2 times (the annoying outcome is when you tap that way on some back button). Other times the screen seems to display not current content from the app, you need to tap somewhere to make the screen refresh when you suspect that the screen is not current.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #17
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Yes, so you keep "ranting" on various threads. ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist... Anyway, I do hope that turns out to be true. And so does my wife... because she will then inherit my current Max as I make the upgrade.
Sony's new 13.3" digital paper DPTRP1 released

Onyx Boox Note 10.3" this week
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #18
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
My tongue was well and truly in my cheek. Hence, the winking smiley.

Never truly doubted that such devices would be coming out. Glad to see that they are making their way ever closer to the consumer market.

That said, neither of these devices would particularly appeal to me. The Sony product is limited to PDFs and, although it has greater onboard memory than its predecessor, it seems to lack the former's micro sd card slot. A little too limiting. As for the Onyx device, it is a little smaller than I would like.

Certainly, steps in the right direction, but nothing yet that would tempt me to part with my money. Hopefully, the Max 2 will prove otherwise. (Or maybe even a second generation Netronix device, depending on the specs, and if it were being released by a more reputable/dependable vendor.)
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote