Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-30-2017, 04:53 AM   #1
ist
ist began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
A few questions regrading Onyx Boox Max

Hello everybody,

As many, I'm thrilled with a real A4 mass production e-book reader, to hit the market (let leave the price aside, for a moment).

As many, I consider myself to be able to purchase it (not easy, but for now – leave that aside), so there are very real questions for me to consider, especially IF eventually I'll become proud owner of Onyx Boox Max. I'm intentionally asking my questions here, in “Onyx forum” (and not in “Which one should I buy” thread), since as many – I'm considered with reader actual performance, hence asking advice, from people actually owning it and therefore, able to share experiences. I'll glad if you may answer the following questions. I'm sure, it will help many others, who're seriously considering that device. Thank you!

1. Is there any manufacturer, rumor, known press release, anything that says – there will be another, real A4 reader on the market?
2. Since it's android device – are you able to read (use) Kindle books (Kindle application) on it?
3. For how long, battery holds, assuming you turned off, everything unnecessary for reading? Does the screen turns off eventually (otherwise, the battery will run out)?
4. Are you able to read colored book on it? Now, I know it's a white and black screen – but, does the resolution and amount of shades of gray enough, or you turn on your tablet every time, you're reading a colored book? Say, a medical anatomy book?
5. Is it reasonable to expect, Boox Max model which will include back-light, or one with buttons placed more reasonable for it designed purpose, reading?

Thank you all in advance. Feel free to share anything, any experience that in your opinion, should or might affect any reasonable person decision to purchase (or not), that reader. Thank you!

Last edited by ist; 03-30-2017 at 07:27 AM.
ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:36 AM   #2
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Hello !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ist View Post
3. For how long, battery holds, assuming you turned off, everything unnecessary for reading? Does the screen turns off eventually (otherwise, the battery will run out)?
En e-ink doesn't consume current, only when the display is changed. You can stay with the same display for weeks without drain the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ist View Post
5. Is it reasonable to expect, Boox Max model which will include back-light, or one with buttons placed more reasonable for it designed purpose, reading?
The back-light was previously discussed here, it's seems not possible because the big screen's size, too big to avoid some strange effects.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just a quick correction. It's the Onyx Boox Max.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hello !

En e-ink doesn't consume current, only when the display is changed. You can stay with the same display for weeks without drain the battery.

The back-light was previously discussed here, it's seems not possible because the big screen's size, too big to avoid some strange effects.

Hello and thank you!

Now, regarding the battery: sure, I know e-ink holds for days (my Hanlin v3 runs almost on it factory charge. But, that (in my opinion) is the downside of making readers based on Android and with WiFi. From what I've heard, the charge lasts a lot less - hence, I'm asking of maximum amount possible (with everything I can think of, shut off).

Additionally, anyone here was able to use Kindle on that device?

P.S.Thank you JSWolf, I fixed the header.

Last edited by ist; 03-30-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
pochopsp
Connoisseur
pochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92 & Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
True, but eReaders are computers, so even if e-ink screen doesn't consume energy, there will always be the processor and the motherboard still active and running, which will consume battery charge.
pochopsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pochopsp View Post
True, but eReaders are computers, so even if e-ink screen doesn't consume energy, there will always be the processor and the motherboard still active and running, which will consume battery charge.
Yeah, things stay active until you put the device to sleep.

I've wished for awhile that there was an option to have the device take a screenshot before going to sleep and have that screenshot be the screensaver.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello Pochopsp,

You're right, my answer was only for the second part of the question
Quote:
Does the screen turns off eventually (otherwise, the battery will run out)?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnick View Post

I've wished for awhile that there was an option to have the device take a screenshot before going to sleep and have that screenshot be the screensaver.
Do that and you'll go to use the device and try to use it to find it's sleeping and you'll then feel foolish. (IMHO), that's a rather bad idea. That's like a bird flying into a glass door.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnick View Post

That's been tried in the past with other devices. The problem is that you don't know that the device is asleep then. There were lots of complaints about the device not being responsive at those times. I'm sure it ended up being a headache for the customer support groups.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There is an Onyx Boox Max Carta coming around the 20th of April.

http://ereader-store.de/en/77-onyx-boox-max-carta.html
Old 03-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #11
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
That's been tried in the past with other devices. The problem is that you don't know that the device is asleep then. There were lots of complaints about the device not being responsive at those times. I'm sure it ended up being a headache for the customer support groups.
With a thin header and footer across the top and bottom of the image indicating that the device was sleeping, that shouldn't be much of a problem.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #12
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
New devices with dual i.MX7 processor from Onyx, Dasung, Remarkable, Boyue, ZingJing, Sony are expected this year. Some during this summer.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #13
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
New devices with dual i.MX7 processor from Onyx, Dasung, Remarkable, Boyue, ZingJing, Sony are expected this year. Some during this summer.
Yes, so you keep "ranting" on various threads. ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist... Anyway, I do hope that turns out to be true. And so does my wife... because she will then inherit my current Max as I make the upgrade.

Last edited by Question Mark; 03-30-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:25 AM   #14
ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Hello fgdas and thank you!

New devices are always great news, especially e-book readers, which sometimes seems forgotten by vendors (they all probably assume, we're going to hurt our eye reading from 6" tablets).

Now, I'll push the question a little further - are you talking specifically about A4 size devices? Since, smaller size devices are still coming out now and than (at least, AFAIK). Moreover, will the screen technology be different, as far as you know? Since, with all due respect to processing power and memory (and I'm not kidding, more of those will probably allow us run higher versions of Android/Windows, therefore allow use of Kindle or any other subscription service, which is always appreciated - since as I guess, many here cannot allow any more space for physical books and/or do have such subscriptions), so with all due respect, the most important part of the reader is screen technology. I'll be happy to know more about those, if you can share more information.

Since, if some of those will probably available at summer time, some specs are probably already available.

Thank you JSWolf - I saw Carta and Immediately got interested. I compared the specs for both Carta and Max bit by bit, and found them pretty much the same. Besides, Carta comes out with Android 4.4 (which led me to believe at first glance, its h/w specs are better - but after comparing those to Max, I found those to be the same - hence I assume, the Max too will get Android 4.4). The real difference I saw, was indeed the screen (resolution etc.). Anyhow, that's the logic behind my questions - everybody here seems to be pretty happy with their current Max screens (at least, until somebody answer question #4), so it really hard to pay those amount of money, for not that big a difference. I may be wrong, you know
Old 03-31-2017, 04:52 AM   #15
Randy11
Wizard

Hello Ist,

If you look at http://ereader-store.de/en/28-13-3-display, now you have only the ONYX BOOX MAX CARTA, new screen and upgrade for Android. It's not the future ONYX BOOX MAX 2, it's an update of the ONYX BOOX MAX.

The contrast seems better, upgrade from 10:1 to 15:1.

I'd like to have a such contrast.

Sorry if I have not well understood what you want mean.