Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #106
JoOrwick
Connoisseur
JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
From your other comments about your KA1, it sounds like you may have received a defective device. My advice would be to send it back for repair or replacement. That's what warranties are for. Too expensive a device to be used as a doorstop or a paperweight.
It's not defective. I don't consider slightly misaligned display or the gaps between the display and the bezel defects. The battery life is decent enough and I'm fairly sure the 10% drop bug is caused by software.

It is what it is and a replacement could be worse in that regard. All of my main issues with the Kobo Aura One are software related. I admit Kobo has fixed most of the issues, but not all of them. When I first bought it last year it was full of issues. Constant freezes, unresponsiveness, crashes, restarts and just weird quirks in general. It's much better now, but once or twice a week I still get the occasional freeze forcing me to restart the device which gets annoying and I feel like I'm constantly anticipating it. Not a big deal to some, but I absolutely hate being interrupted, especially by software bugs.

I can tell people are not happy with my comments in this thread and frankly I couldn't care less. It's always like this whenever someone has problems with any device. "Well I don't have these issues, must be a defect on your part" or "it works just fine on my device" and every other kind of passive aggressive response is pointless.

You'd think that software updates would affect every ereader of the same model the same way, but they don't for some reason and I'm not the only one with these software-related issues.

As for epubs on the KA1, they're a joke and anyone who defends Kobo when it comes to epub responsiveness is delusional. They're slow for no apparent reason. Cheap chinese readers have no issues with epubs, but a 230 euro device from a fairly popular ebook company does. It's better now than it was 3-5 months ago, but they're still slow. There's no excuse for this. PDFs I can understand, but epubs, the most popular ebook format? No.

It's a fact Amazon has better software and these issues are real, others have them and they're talked about outside of Mobileread. I'm not going to get a replacement, mostly because I ordered mine from Netherlands and returns are not as hassle-free as they are in the US. I also know for a fact most of the issues are software related. I still like the KA1, but only because of the larger screen. I use it quite a bit, but I'm also beginning to understand why Kindles are more popular and recommended more often.

Last edited by JoOrwick; 04-09-2017 at 03:22 PM.
JoOrwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #107
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoOrwick View Post
It's not defective. I don't consider slightly misaligned display or the gaps between the display and the bezel defects. The battery life is decent enough and I'm fairly sure the 10% drop bug is caused by software.

It is what it is and a replacement could be worse in that regard. All of my main issues with the Kobo Aura One are software related. I admit Kobo has fixed most of the issues, but not all of them. When I first bought it last year it was full of issues. Constant freezes, unresponsiveness, crashes, restarts and just weird quirks in general. It's much better now, but once or twice a week I still get the occasional freeze forcing me to restart the device which gets annoying and I feel like I'm constantly anticipating it. Not a big deal to some, but I absolutely hate being interrupted, especially by software bugs.

I can tell people are not happy with my comments in this thread and frankly I couldn't care less. It's always like this whenever someone has problems with any device. "Well I don't have these issues, must be a defect on your part" or "it works just fine on my device" and every other kind of passive aggressive response is pointless.

You'd think that software updates would affect every ereader of the same model the same way, but they don't for some reason and I'm not the only one with these software-related issues.

As for epubs on the KA1, they're a joke and anyone who defends Kobo when it comes to epub responsiveness is delusional. They're slow for no apparent reason. Cheap chinese readers have no issues with epubs, but a 230 euro device from a fairly popular ebook company does. It's better now than it was 3-5 months ago, but they're still slow. There's no excuse for this. PDFs I can understand, but epubs, the most popular ebook format? No.

It's a fact Amazon has better software and these issues are real, others have them and they're talked about outside of Mobileread. I'm not going to get a replacement, mostly because I ordered mine from Netherlands and returns are not as hassle-free as they are in the US. I also know for a fact most of the issues are software related. I still like the KA1, but only because of the larger screen. I use it quite a bit, but I'm also beginning to understand why Kindles are more popular and recommended more often.
there will always be those who will counter claim your criticisms it's par for the course, their opinion is equally as subjective as yours, my own experience for what it is worth is that on my Kobo Mini,Touch and original Aura 6" the epub format is slower compared to kepub, is the Kobo epub renderer the best probably not is it the worse probably not.

i've been lucky with my Kobo e-readers i had a chance to try before buying it's always nice to try first before you buy anything if and when the possibility allows it.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 04-09-2017 at 04:26 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #108
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Quote:
I've owned Kindles and Kobo readers, I had a refund on a Voyage, terrible front light gradient and an H20, far too yellow. If I'm not happy I get a refund. I don't pay serious cash for something that I'm not satisfied with regardless who manufactured it. I'm happy to flip between whoever makes a device that suits my needs.

In my experience Kindles have the better firmware and eco system. Although Kobo firmware has improved massively since I had the original Glo, which froze for fun. I found the Kindle font options rather limited compared to Kobo which is far more flexible.

I sideload via Calibre (and convert to Kepub) so the eco system isn't an issue. So KA1 with its foibles is near on perfect for my needs, which of course will differ from person to person. Kindles will always sell more than Kobo as in general as the "average" reader just wants to buy a book and send it to their Kindle.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #109
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
If it's not working how it's supposed to work, whether that be due to hardware or software, I would consider the device defective, especially if there are others out there not experiencing those issues.

Quote:
It is what it is and a replacement could be worse in that regard.
And, if the replacement is worse, then you send that back, too... until you get a properly functioning model or are offered a refund.

Quote:
Not quite sure how I was being passive aggressive. I simply responded to the content of your post. I am not experiencing many of the issues which you spoke of. That suggests that your device could be defective in some way, whether due to the hardware or the software.

I'm not attempting to deny that you are experiencing issues. Clearly you are, and some others seem to be as well. If I were having issues with a very expensive device and I found out that there were others who were not experiencing these issues, I would want to investigate replacing my device.

Quote:

It's a fact Amazon has better software and these issues are real, others have them and they're talked about outside of Mobileread.
I don't doubt that you are experiencing issues with epubs on your KA1. Others have mentioned that as well. However, that has not been my experience. I'm really not sure how that can be construed as "defending" Kobo. I am just relating my experience which seems to be different than yours.

You may also want to consider who is being passive/aggressive here or just outright rude. Calling someone "delusional" for simply relating that their experience using a device is different than yours...?!? Really?!?

As to whether Kindle handles ebooks better than Kobo, I couldn't say. I've never owned a Kindle. I can only compare the KA1 to other devices which I currently have or have previously owned: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo HD (hated it), original Kobo Aura and the Onyx Max. From my experience, the KA1 handles epubs just as well as these other devices. I certainly have never had a 2 second delay while turning pages.

However, just to be clear, that does not mean that the KA1 handles ebooks as well as a Kindle. That may or may not be the case. I haven't a clue because I haven't ever used a Kindle.

Quote:
'm not going to get a replacement, mostly because I ordered mine from Netherlands and returns are not as hassle-free as they are in the US.
I live in Canada, not the US. I wouldn't purchase an expensive product without first attempting to verify what the after sales service would be like. I was initially very hesitant about getting my Onyx Max as it shipped from Germany. However, after reading how Booxtor goes out of his way to assist people who are experiencing problems with their devices even when they have bought it elsewhere, I was greatly reassured. I also liked that he offered a two year warranty. Very impressive. And, so far, I have been well pleased with my decision.

Good luck with your KA1, if you decide to stick with it. Hopefully, some future software update will resolve many of the issues which you are experiencing.

Last edited by Question Mark; 04-09-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:15 PM   #110
sladflob
Connoisseur
sladflob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura One
Just catching up on this thread as I haven't looked on this site for a while. My previous device was an original Kobo Touch, which I would probably still be using if it had a lit screen. Since I wanted something with a light I figured I'd upgrade to the KA1 because the bigger screen size also appealed to me.

My observations on the KA1:

1) My biggest problem with the KA1 is the quality of the light. Given that this was the main reason I upgraded from the Touch it has been very disappointing. The bottom of the screen looks kind of crinkled due to the positions of the individual lights there. It's mostly noticeable if I'm reading in a darkened room. This is my second KA1 and it's not really any better than the first, so I suspect this is just how this device is. Not having had another ereader with a light I can't say that other models or brands are better or worse. I can live with it but for the money I kind of feel I shouldn't have to.

2) The comfort light thing is next to useless. I turned off the auto sensor the day I got it. If I'm reading before bed with the bedside lamp off I sometimes make the light a little more orange, but it can make the screen imperfections more obvious and I often can't handle that degree of distress that close to bedtime.

3) ePub handling could definitely be faster. I only ever sideload books I've bought from whoever is cheapest, and I like to read in fullscreen mode (still experimental after all this time?) so don't like the extra space the kePubs introduce. I think I've adjusted by tapping the screen as I start reading the last line of the screen so the delay isn't such a big deal but I don't think this is really acceptable in a AU$300 device.

4) The size/weight doesn't worry me though I can't hold it quite as comfortably between my thumb and index finger as I could my original Touch. I think this is at least partially due to the smaller bezel along the bottom.

5) Build quality isn't wonderful and I do have a fairly large gap along the right hand side of the device (which already has noticeable dust and junk in it) but it's not the end of the world.

In summary, I'd say the device is ok... not terrible but not super-great or exciting. Upgrading from my 5 year old Touch wasn't mind-blowing which probably tells you more about my feelings about the KA1 than anything else I've written above.
sladflob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2017, 02:55 AM   #111
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post

I don't like the "flash every six pages" thing. I'd prefer it on chapter boundaries or file boundaries (didn't it used to be like that?). I am going to try inverting on every page because I feel that predictability might be more comfortable than having a page turn suddenly flash and be slow every once in a while.
There are a couple of easy fixes for the "flash every six pages"--

One way is to modify the Kobo ereader.conf file per the instructions in this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=221
(I'm pretty sure this still works with the latest firmware.)

The other option, and the one I'm currently using is to make use GeoffR's patches. If you choose to use the patch option, there are other tweaks you might be interested in as well. You can find more info on patching in the Kobo Developer's Corner Forum. Just find the post related to your Kobo and follow the instructions.

I currently have my screen refresh set to every 40 pages and don't notice any degradation of the page display.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #112
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Both are slow because they're E-ink devices, but the Aura One is REALLY slow sometimes. Epubs are extremely slow so you'll have to use kepubs unless you don't mind 2 second long page turns.
Wow, do you mean literal 2 second page turns? How long are the chapters in the books you've been reading? I've read a few side-loaded epubs and page turning felt slow, but tolerable, even though the device as a whole felt a bit sluggish. I wonder what causes the extra slowdown for you compared to me? The longest book I read was about 650 pages IIRC but with short chapters. I don't think I read anything with more than about 30 pages in a single chapter.

Last edited by radius; 04-10-2017 at 02:25 PM.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #113
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
There are a couple of easy fixes for the "flash every six pages"--
Thanks!

But I just returned the device yesterday. I've decided to wait a few months and hope that the factory gets a better handle on the lighting quality and touch layer in the mean time. Kobo software seems to slowly be getting better over time (glad they got rid of all the game-ification stuff!)

The best thing about Kobo to me is the dev community around it.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #114
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
The best thing about Kobo to me is the dev community around it.
Gotta agree with that!!
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:27 AM   #115
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks!

glad they got rid of all the game-ification stuff!
Oh, no! I really loved the games! They made travelling so much more fun. Sometimes you just need a break from reading when you are stuck somewhere waiting for hours on end. With the games on the Kobo you always had other things to occupy yourself with on hand without schlepping around anything else.

I know people have their smartphones these days (I don't) and most of us have tablet, but I do not always bring my tablet whereas I always have at least my weightless little Aura 6" in my pocket. Nah, getting rid of the games was not a good idea if you ask me!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:09 AM   #116
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Oh, no! I really loved the games! They made travelling so much more fun. Sometimes you just need a break from reading when you are stuck somewhere waiting for hours on end. With the games on the Kobo you always had other things to occupy yourself with on hand without schlepping around anything else.

I know people have their smartphones these days (I don't) and most of us have tablet, but I do not always bring my tablet whereas I always have at least my weightless little Aura 6" in my pocket. Nah, getting rid of the games was not a good idea if you ask me!
The games are one thing, but gamification is another...
I really miss the games too but I'm glad that my reading is no longer treated like a game.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #117
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
The games are one thing, but gamification is another...
I really miss the games too but I'm glad that my reading is no longer treated like a game.
I don't understand what you mean by this? How was it being treated like a game before?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #118
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I don't understand what you mean by this? How was it being treated like a game before?

Shari
I seem to recall, when I had my H2O, that there were all sorts of "awards" you got for reading certain numbers of books or pages.

EDIT: These. Are they not there any more? It's a while since I used a Kobo.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-11-2017 at 01:27 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #119
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I seem to recall, when I had my H2O, that there were all sorts of "awards" you got for reading certain numbers of books or pages.
There were, and are...at least on my Aura HD they are still there. Maybe they have removed them from the Aura One?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #120
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
It's true, they are still there but they appear less in your face.
That btw is what gamification generally means: The application of (video)game inspired metrics, thresholds and mechanics to non-gaming-activities.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote